Marshall Football: Claude Mathis hired as AD/HFC

ontheinside

I don't want to see Keeling leave Waskom but he is a proven winner. I am sure if he comes or is offered the job he will switch to the spread offense.

The problem with that is he doesn't know the spread and will not hire someone to come in and run it and let them do their job. He is a control guy( and I do not mind that) but he has been running that flexbone so long, you just can;t flip a switch and decide, oh, I am going to run the spread. I have talked to him many, many times over the past years and that is just not in his DNA.

At the 5A level, teams have to many athletes on defense to run the flexbone.

The problem with that is he doesn't know the spread and will not hire someone to come in and run it and let them do their job. He is a control guy( and I do not mind that) but he has been running that flexbone so long, you just can;t flip a switch and decide, oh, I am going to run the spread. I have talked to him many, many times over the past years and that is just not in his DNA.

I would have to disagree with you on the flexbone, if you have a fast QB who can read, the triple option would be hard to stop at any level especially if that QB can throw also. As far as people complaining you have that everywhere, the problem isn't Keeling the problem is talent when it comes to girls athletics at Waskom, you either have the talent or you don't. Most of the girls at Waskom probably didn't even bounce a basketball until the day basketball starts.

A one dimensional offense will not work in 5A.

It might get some wins. But it won't be king if he hill.

Look at 5A and 6A top teams. None of them are power running teams.

Same reason it doesn't happen in the NFL and the elite of NCAA.

Defenses will sniff it out

A one dimensional offense will not work in 5A.

It might get some wins. But it won't be king if he hill.

Look at 5A and 6A top teams. None of them are power running teams.

Same reason it doesn't happen in the NFL and the elite of NCAA.

Defenses will sniff it out

As Nancy Pelosi says you have to try it first to see if it will work, or is that you have to vote for it first to see what's in it....:lol:

I would have to disagree with you on the flexbone, if you have a fast QB who can read, the triple option would be hard to stop at any level especially if that QB can throw also. As far as people complaining you have that everywhere, the problem isn't Keeling the problem is talent when it comes to girls athletics at Waskom, you either have the talent or you don't. Most of the girls at Waskom probably didn't even bounce a basketball until the day basketball starts.

Keeling didn't care one bit about girls sports, yes, you need talent to win, but Waskom wasn't just losing at girls sports, they were getting beat up record numbers in all girls sports. Embarrassing stuff. Being a AD in that size school part of your job is to try and get as much participation as possible in those sports, something he never spent 2 seconds at. The community knew that ( he made it known to many) that he wasn't getting paid to win in those sports. Well, if you are the AD, you do.

He had no choice expect to accept the girls sports coordinator, Jimmy Cox( supt) was pressured so much by the community, he hired her without any input from coach Keeling.

I am not trying to bash Keeling, he has done a good job with the football program and just happened to have the best two players in program history come thru there at the same time, but as far as being a AD. The job is not for him.

In 5A football, you are not going to have a QB that can out run they athletes on defense at that level. The misdirection and fakes will not be able to slow down the athletes and coaching at that level.

At the 3A level, if you have a stud QB, you can run a lot of offenses and get away with it as on most defenses you might have 2-3 very good players and the defensive staffs do not have the personnel to specialize on just defense for 2 hours a day like they do in 5A-6A. In 3A kids are playing both ways, practice time is split up.

The Flexbone has been tried at the 5A level, it didn't work, that is why it is not used by successful programs at that level now.

If Marshall does hire hire I hope whatever he does he is successful as I am a old Maverick, but I just think it is a bad fit.

Lmao

That's why I'm a Libertarian now.

I can smell BS the left and the right tosses out before I step in it

Shoot. At least you claim something.

I like none of the above. Far right are hypocrites (among other things) and far left live in denial and easily get their feelings hurt. And 3rd parties simply do not know what they are doing for the most part. So F em all. lol

I did feel the Bern in the primaries though.

• Like 1

Keeling would be a gamble, M.I.S.D can't afford to gamble this time. I believe Wakom won only about 4 games this year and Newton hung about 70 on them, NOT what direction Marshall need to go in. Waskom has been below .500 in all sports this school year(boys and girls) so I can't believe Keeling is still in discussion. Marshall can do better.....

Keeling would be a gamble, M.I.S.D can't afford to gamble this time. I believe Wakom won only about 4 games this year and Newton hung about 70 on them, NOT what direction Marshall need to go in. Waskom has been below .500 in all sports this school year(boys and girls) so I can't believe Keeling is still in discussion. Marshall can do better.....

I take exception to that Newton only hung 66 on us....:)

Keeling didn't care one bit about girls sports, yes, you need talent to win, but Waskom wasn't just losing at girls sports, they were getting beat up record numbers in all girls sports. Embarrassing stuff. Being a AD in that size school part of your job is to try and get as much participation as possible in those sports, something he never spent 2 seconds at. The community knew that ( he made it known to many) that he wasn't getting paid to win in those sports. Well, if you are the AD, you do.

He had no choice expect to accept the girls sports coordinator, Jimmy Cox( supt) was pressured so much by the community, he hired her without any input from coach Keeling.

I am not trying to bash Keeling, he has done a good job with the football program and just happened to have the best two players in program history come thru there at the same time, but as far as being a AD. The job is not for him.

I didn't hear much complaining about any girl sports other than softball and so they hired another girls softball coach, that coach that people was complaining about was hired by Marshall.

Everyone seems to know who wouldn't be a good fit for Marshall so who would be a good fit? Y'all don't seem to like any of them.

Let's go through all them:

Claude Mathis-great record at Desoto/college experience. Several have mentioned they aren't sure how long he would stay.

Feaster-great record at Parkway. Obviously trying to get a job since he doesn't have one. Some have said they don't like his persnality.

Keeling-great record, 2 state championships, probably most likely to stay awhile.

Ludlow- current OC, young and up and coming coach. Maybe not ready for this big of a job?

Carthage OC-been around and won championships as an asst.

Other than the 2 assistants above the 3 head coaches have had more success than the coach that just left and that was hired 4 years ago. So.. I think y'all be ok if it's anyone of them.

• Like 1

Left this off. Some are worried on what Keeling would run as an offense. I'm sure he will do what's fits MARSHALL best and that most likely won't be the flexbone. I believe that's why he runs the flexbone in Waskom, it fit their players best.

All theses coaches have been in different places with different schemes. They should all be flexible to what works best where they are at that time.

Everything you said was spot on about the girls program except for the part about Keeling having no input on the girls coordinator. Keeling did all the interviews for the position.

Surprised so many are down on Keeling. I doubt he would come in there running the wishbone at Marshall. But to be fair, I'm pretty sure I saw a 5a team playing on TV running the Wing-T this year. Phil Danaher has won plenty of games at Calallen running an old school offense. Dang near beat Aledo with it. Like I said, Keeling is too good of a football coach to come into Marshall running the same offense he ran at Waskom. But I wouldn't knock it until I tried it even if he did.

• Like 1

But Keeling hired all the girl coaches that are currently on staff.

I understand Keeling no long oversees the running of the girls athletics. Does Keeling have hiring authority without approval from the board or needs board approval, it has been a while since I was on the board. When I was on there I only remember interviewing one person and that was Nathan when he was recommended by Griffin to be the new Head Football coach.

Everyone seems to know who wouldn't be a good fit for Marshall so who would be a good fit? Y'all don't seem to like any of them.

Let's go through all them:

Claude Mathis-great record at Desoto/college experience. Several have mentioned they aren't sure how long he would stay.

Feaster-great record at Parkway. Obviously trying to get a job since he doesn't have one. Some have said they don't like his persnality.

Keeling-great record, 2 state championships, probably most likely to stay awhile.

Ludlow- current OC, young and up and coming coach. Maybe not ready for this big of a job?

Carthage OC-been around and won championships as an asst.

Other than the 2 assistants above the 3 head coaches have had more success than the coach that just left and that was hired 4 years ago. So.. I think y'all be ok if it's anyone of them.

Mathis is the 3rd one I was referring to pulling his name out. Success many times is relative to where you are.

Hasn't ennis won a state championship or two from the wing offense? You just have to know what you are doing to make adjustments and it can be successful on any level

Hasn't ennis won a state championship or two from the wing offense? You just have to know what you are doing to make adjustments and it can be successful on any level

Yeah but that was such a big rarity. Some of you are acting like wing offenses are racking up 5A/6A, college or NFL championships when it isn't. It's the multi/balanced offenses with the most success.

Have you ever thought it might be the talent in Waskom Girls Athletic Program? Keeling doesn't Coach all the sports! Its not his job to get the participation up in the girls Program. He hired Coaches to do that. I doubt he sabotages the girls program. What would he have to gain by doing that? I hope Keeling doesn't get the job. I want him and his staff to stay. They are the best staff Waskom has ever had.

I have been quietly following this. If I recall,. Coach Keeling came to a struggling Waskom program, and tried to run the spread initially. Seeing as he did not have the personel to effectively run it, he was open minded enough to try something else. He is a flexible coach who has shown he can adapt to what he needs to for success.