Marshall Football: Claude Mathis hired as AD/HFC

ontheinside

While I understand your point, as a parent of daughters in MISD, I'll just have to disagree on statements about skill camps, off season leagues, etc. Mine are involved in all of those and so are others.

The most important issue for me is the hire of an AD that supports all sports.

I keep hearing the name Daniel Swaim around Marshall. Big man from Kilgore. When does he interview? Would be a homerun hire can't believe T High let him slip through their fingers.

Not a name I've heard....but I'm not involved with the process. He very well could be in the mix.

I wish I were on the inside participating on this......but there is just no way with my schedule.

Well you need to tell your friends. Do what you have to do to get this guy. Diamond in the rough in the coaching profession. That man can coach the line drive a route bus weed eat the field paint the field and take a nap all at the same time and do it better than any man you have ever met.

uote name="Mavchamp" post="2515242" timestamp="1488906990"]

Not a name I've heard....but I'm not involved with the process. He very well could be in the mix.

I wish I were on the inside participating on this......but there is just no way with my schedule.

Peaster rubbed me the wrong way when we played Parkway in 2012 and 2013.

I don't know if he encourages dirty play or if the players did it in spite of him.... but they were dirty imho. And I thought he showed a total lack of class running up the score on a historically bad Marshall team when his team was in the top 5.

JMHO.

Mathis was in Marshall. Toured the facilities. Even had a chat with Coach King about what he thought about the job. But he seems to be all over the place. Apparently he applying and touring all over the state. I guess he thinks he's P Diddy.

The name from Evangel intrigues me. But we can't compare ECA to MHS. Apples to oranges.

Obviously anyone with the Carthage program has pedigree. They likely have multiple rings.

Waskom guy has two rings. But 3A and 5A are different animals. And that scares me. He also prefers smash mouth grind it out football. And that form of football doesn't win state titles in 5A.

I wish I was a fly on the wall.

With the team speed and a good QB you could wishbone them to death...or flexbone if you chose. It hasn't been run in so long they probably forgot how to stop it....:LOL: Plus it will eat the clock up and the spread will hardly have time to come on the field but a couple of time to throw the bomb to catch up fast....:p

With the team speed and a good QB you could wishbone them to death...or flexbone if you chose. It hasn't been run in so long they probably forgot how to stop it....:LOL: Plus it will eat the clock up and the spread will hardly have time to come on the field but a couple of time to throw the bomb to catch up fast....:p

Wishbone is so gimmicky though. I would like to see more pro style stuff like Marshall used to run in the 90s. I form, 5 wide , etc etc

• Like 1

Well, he is the one in charge of the offense and play calling but I think the OC (from last year) is Davis. Now Carthage has hired another coach (from A&M) to be the next OC.

Kevin Davis has been th OC/line coach at Carthage since Chris Smith left to coach at A&M. Smith is now back employed at Carthage ISD.

Wishbone is so gimmicky though. I would like to see more pro style stuff like Marshall used to run in the 90s. I form, 5 wide , etc etc

We basically run a 4WR set now with a single back in the backfield out of the shotgun.

We've had a nice run of really good TE's the last few years.... so that's basically a 5th WR.

The OC we currently have is outstanding. We just struggled at the QB position last season..... which was expected after having a 4 year starter graduate.

If we can mature at the QB position I think we can be dangerous offensively.....

If you got somebody who can chunk and somebody who can catch that works also

I think last season was the first time in nearly 30 years Marshall failed to have a 1,000 yard passer.

But in fairness to him....he was sharing snaps with an all world athlete..... and plus.... it was his first time to play varsity ball after missing his JV season due to injury.

Never have had a QB shortage in Marshall. And usually the WR corps is strong.

O-line and defense has been our Achilles heel in our down seasons. Special teams hurt us in 2016.

Get some maturity at QB.... let the defense learn from last year's mistakes and I think we make some noise in 2017.

I think last season was the first time in nearly 30 years Marshall failed to have a 1,000 yard passer.

But in fairness to him....he was sharing snaps with an all world athlete..... and plus.... it was his first time to play varsity ball after missing his JV season due to injury.

Never have had a QB shortage in Marshall. And usually the WR corps is strong.

O-line and defense has been our Achilles heel in our down seasons. Special teams hurt us in 2016.

Get some maturity at QB.... let the defense learn from last year's mistakes and I think we make some noise in 2017.

Well if Keeling happens to get the job he will run what his talent will let him run be it the spread or Flexbone. Saying that I hope he stays right where he is....:)

• Like 1