Northeast Texas High School Baseball

WiseGuy

Who are some of the big guns to look out for in the area this season?

Here are a couple out of Texarkana...

Liberty Eylau, Senior, Catcher, Triston Brooks... hit .474 as a junior, great pop time as well, offers but has not committed.

Pleasant Grove, Senior, Pitcher, Caleb Bolden.. 12-0 on the mound as a junior, signed with Seminole Juco.

Texas High is only returning 2 starters this season.

If you move on down hwy 82, Paris High School has Phillip Sikes, Senior, Pitcher... Signed with the Univ. of New Mexico

What other players look to be poised to have big 2017 high school campaigns?

PG has...

Caleb Bolden - pitcher

Cade Thompson - signed with University of Arkansas Monticello. He is a transfer from Texas High.

Keep an eye on...

Carson Cox - He is a junior. If he stays healthy he will sign somewhere next year.

Jackson Cobb - true freshman playing on varsity. kid will be a stud over next 4 seasons

PG has...

Caleb Bolden - pitcher

Cade Thompson - signed with University of Arkansas Monticello. He is a transfer from Texas High.

Keep an eye on...

Carson Cox - He is a junior. If he stays healthy he will sign somewhere next year.

Jackson Cobb - true freshman playing on varsity. kid will be a stud over next 4 seasons

Thompson is a good ballplayer.. gets on base and makes all the plays at second base.

Cox is an athlete all around, never heard of the Cobb kid, will be interested to see him play.

why is worley coaching baseball again?

I guess the athletic department got tired of softball being so good. He's a great addition to the baseball staff though. He took a softball program that was known for losing and a revolving door of head coaches over the years into a program that was a contender every year and nearly won a state championship a couple years ago.

why is worley coaching baseball again?

The baseball teams were understaffed. PG has 3 teams and had only 2 coaches and no assistants last year. Worley is a great asset to baseball and softball was left in the very capable hands of his former assistant. She played at UTA. She holds the UTA all-time record with 35 career home runs, and she committed only 10 errors in 199 career starts at first base.

It was her turn to have a shot at the head job.

The baseball teams were understaffed. PG has 3 teams and had only 2 coaches and no assistants last year. Worley is a great asset to baseball and softball was left in the very capable hands of his former assistant. She played at UTA. She holds the UTA all-time record with 35 career home runs, and she committed only 10 errors in 199 career starts at first base.

good deal. just seemed kind of odd to me that it looked like pg had finally found a good coach for a program that had always struggled. im sure that was his choice though.

PG only had 2 baseball coaches last year? I find that hard to believe.

PG only had 2 baseball coaches last year? I find that hard to believe.

ask any baseball parent. there was a lot of frustration. Last year's freshman never stepped on the field for practice because there were not coaches to work with them in the afternoon. They met before school in the indoor facility so that the two coaches could work with them in the morning and then work with JV and Varsity after school. Technically I guess you could say there was a 3rd one but he didn't do anything. He was willing to help but wasnt really able to because he didnt really know baseball. He did a lot of bus driving.

This year there are 4 coaches

ask any baseball parent. there was a lot of frustration. Last year's freshman never stepped on the field for practice because there were not coaches to work with them in the afternoon. They met before school in the indoor facility so that the two coaches could work with them in the morning and then work with JV and Varsity after school. Technically I guess you could say there was a 3rd one but he didn't do anything. He was willing to help but wasnt really able to because he didnt really know baseball. He did a lot of bus driving.

I've followed PG baseball for many years, and know a lot of the kids that have come through the program under the previous head coach and now the current head coach. The freshman team has never practiced on the game field even when the freshman team practiced after school. If they were lucky they got to get on the field if Varsity was out of town for a game, but that was a rarity. In fact they used to practice on the PGYA machine pitch field, and they referred to it as the "Field of Dreams" because they only got to dream about actually practicing on the game field lol.

I've followed PG baseball for many years, and know a lot of the kids that have come through the program under the previous head coach and now the current head coach. The freshman team has never practiced on the game field even when the freshman team practiced after school. If they were lucky they got to get on the field if Varsity was out of town for a game, but that was a rarity. In fact they used to practice on the PGYA machine pitch field, and they referred to it as the "Field of Dreams" because they only got to dream about actually practicing on the game field lol.

They have been on field a few times this year since there are more coaches

They have been on field a few times this year since there are more coaches

So they have 45 kids all practicing at the same time on the game field? That doesn't seem very productive for the Varsity group which is what you're truly judged on as a head coach.

So they have 45 kids all practicing at the same time on the game field? That doesn't seem very productive for the Varsity group which is what you're truly judged on as a head coach.

Pretty sure I never said at the same time.

If it really needs explaining...varsity and JV have had away scrimmages and the freshmen could get in field because there was a coach left at home to work with them. Last year freshmen didn't practice during away scrimmages because there were no coaches.

If you and I are thinking of the same person as the third coach they had last year I don't understand how you can claim he didn't do anything. Every time I went to a freshman or JV game last year he was the only coach for those two teams. Seems like he was doing more than just driving a bus. I've coached kids before and managing two teams with a combination of around 30 kids isn't easy lol.

Pretty sure I never said at the same time.

If it really needs explaining...varsity and JV have had away scrimmages and the freshmen could get in field because there was a coach left at home to work with them. Last year freshmen didn't practice during away scrimmages because there were no coaches.

I'm just trying to make sense of what you're saying because I've been around this program for so long as a fan, and knowing the kids. That makes sense however I think the Varsity and JV have only had one away scrimmage together. If I'm not mistaken when the Varsity went to Marshall recently the Freshman/JV group stayed here for their own scrimmage.