Ain't This Pretty

Stoney

Ugliest batch of cards that basically made collecting cards worthless. They are one of the reasons that card shops initially opened, but why they shut down in the early 00's. The over-saturation by these companies made sports card collecting obsolete. Thinking about it, I haven't seen a baseball or football card in any convenience store, grocery store, and other businesses in a very long time. The last time I remember them being sold was in a Dollar Tree store in the late 00's in Birmingham. They were selling them 3 packs for $1. Disclaimer to this article, it includes a photo of the Bill "Billy" Ripken notorious card : http://deadspin.com/5505754/the-rise-and-fall-of-a-hobby-in-12-baseball-cards/

Anyone remember the name of the little card shop in downtown Kilgore back in the late 80s? I spent so much lawn-mowing money between there and Alan's in Longview.

Back in the day I bought most of mine at 7-11 or Fred's on Pine Tree Rd. . In the 90's I would go to a shop on 5th St. and the one by the KTBB building that was in the same shopping center that Hastings was in on Paluxy.

Longview had Allen's for your cards and comics.

Gladewater had a store off 80 and towards the train tracks. You could also find some unopened boxes at one of the antique stores.

Gilmer had Benchwarmers for a year or two. Comics and cards, even POGS. Hadden's Sandwich Shoppe was the place to go. Mr. Starnes would pull the Beckett out and charge you a dime or nickel, maybe even a quarter for any card you found in one of the sleeve boxes he had. I've still got the 1981 Pat Donovan and Ed Too Tall Jones I bought from him.

Rhonesboro and Rosewood, you could stop at either gas station and buy a pack. 1991 Topps Baseball, those ugly yellow 1991 Fleer, the blue or green

Donruss....good times.

From around 1983-85 I bought Donruss at Orms convenience store on Hwy 80, back when it had a mini-arcade in there. Anyone else remember the Mike Greenwell craze? LOL. Good times.

In late 1987 we moved to Spring Hill and at that gas station on the corner of Wain Drive/Gilmer Road they sold cards. I filled up almost an entire set of 1986 Topps Football cards because the store owner thought they were worthless. Each pack was a nickel. "Hey kid, you know those are last year's cards, right?" :lol:

• Like 1

Ate boxes of that awful Honeycomb cereal because it had like a three pack of free baseball cards in it. All the MLB logos were airbrushed off the players uniforms. Chris Sabo's card was the best cause he had those old school big Rec Specs on. Lol

Ate boxes of that awful Honeycomb cereal because it had like a three pack of free baseball cards in it. All the MLB logos were airbrushed off the players uniforms. Chris Sabo's card was the best cause he had those old school big Rec Specs on. Lol

I still have three sets of the Monsters of the Gridiron that Coke put out. I got them all for free, because I simply loaded up on coke for the Domino's I was managing.

The descriptions are stupid, and there is some R rated cursing : http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2011/9/15/2427049/sports-cards-for-insane-people-monsters-of-the-gridiron-so-depressing

I remember those Dave. The goofiest cards I probably collected besides the Gulf War cards Pro Set put out.

I see you can buy the set for $5. I sold six sets of those for $90 back in the early 90's. I wish I would have sold my entire football card collection back in the day, because they were worth more during the boom than they are now. All of the cards I have are from the 60's-90's. I basically stopped collecting after the card boom ended.

• Like 1