Joaquin looking for 2nd scrimmage

trueblue82

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I didn't see the last two Logansport/Joaquin scrimmages.

In 2015, Joaquin man handled logansport in the controlled portion, then the live half ended in a 21-21 tie. In 2016, we struggled to stop their offense in the controlled scrimmage. I think they outscored us 4-2. Then we "won" the live quarter 6-0. The live portion was shortened from a half to a quarter due to a thunderstorm.

In 2015, Joaquin man handled logansport in the controlled portion, then the live half ended in a 21-21 tie. In 2016, we struggled to stop their offense in the controlled scrimmage. I think they outscored us 4-2. Then we "won" the live quarter 6-0. The live portion was shortened from a half to a quarter due to a thunderstorm.

Maybe we should've had them as the season opener instead of a scrimmage. Those are the games that will prepare you for district and the playoffs

Maybe we should've had them as the season opener instead of a scrimmage. Those are the games that will prepare you for district and the playoffs

We probably won't see that for some time, unless changes are made in one state or the other. The blocking rules in Louisiana are very different from Texas, to the point where we've had officials from both states at the scrimmage each year. Also, the way the Louisiana playoff system is based on power points, it actually hurts them to play a Texas team. If they beat us by 70, it's like they didn't play at all. The scrimmage works well for both teams. It draws a huge crowd, and provides a big game atmosphere. The coaches work together on throwing different looks at each other. It's less of a rivalry now and more of a partnership. We were supposed to host it last year, but our field got soaked with rain and Coach Lawson didn't want to tear it up for a scrimmage. Logansport hosted it and let our Athletic Boosters keep the gate.