Best All Around Athlete from your home town

EastTxFinest

Linden-Kildare - David Green - graduated in 1982

All district WR in football

Starter on state runner up in basketball(2 Year starter)

Starter on state championship team as a sophomore in baseball(3 Year starter with multiple awards)

7 foot high jumper and 23 foot long jumper his senior year in high school - 2nd in state in both behind Lott from Refugio.

Heard Duck Craver was a stud too

Longview... There's no doubt that the Taylor's (Hosea & Bobby) are the two greatest athlete's from LHS.

Hosea was a Four sport letterman ('74-'77) & Bobby a 3 sport star ('89-'92) are in a neck & neck run for the title.

Hosea was an absolute monster in Football, Basketball, Baseball and Track & Field. He was a 6'4" 270 freakish physical specimen. An All-Stater in Football at DT, a rebounding stud in Basketball, a pitching/hitting machine in baseball and finally a record holder in the shot put/ discuss throws. Bill Yeoman garnered his signature in the Spring of 1977 to play for the Houston Cougars where he was paired with Leonard Mitchell on the DL for the Cougs. Both were named All-Amercans during their days at UH, if I'm not mistaken. Hosea would later play for the Baltimore Colts in the NFL as well as the Houston Gamblers of the now defunct USFL.

Bobby's exploits in his three sports were much more recent and noteworthy because he was pivotal in bringing a State Title ('92) in Basketball as well as in the relay events in Track as noted by Dave earlier in thus thread. Bobby was a 6'3" 200 highly sought after CB. He would take his immense talent to Notre Dame to play for Lou Holtz in South Bend. He was an immediate starter for the Fighting Irish and a skilled cover corner because of his size & speed. Probably his greatest skill was in blocking field goal attempts. His special teams abilities were the stuff of legend...no doubt. All-American honors would follow as well. He spent 10 years in the NFL with the Philadelphia Eagles where was a pro bowler in 2002.

The nod here goes to Bobby Taylor in a very close call for greatest athlete from Longview High.

R J

• Like 1

Longview... There's no doubt that the Taylor's (Hosea & Bobby) are the two greatest athlete's from LHS.

Hosea was a Four sport letterman ('74-'77) & Bobby a 3 sport star ('89-'92) are in a neck & neck run for the title.

Hosea was an absolute monster in Football, Basketball, Baseball and Track & Field. He was a 6'4" 270 freakish physical specimen. An All-Stater in Football at DT, a rebounding stud in Basketball, a pitching/hitting machine in baseball and finally a record holder in the shot put/ discuss throws. Bill Yeoman garnered his signature in the Spring of 1977 to play for the Houston Cougars where he was paired with Leonard Mitchell on the DL for the Cougs. Both were named All-Amercans during their days at UH, if I'm not mistaken. Hosea would later play for the Baltimore Colts in the NFL as well as the Houston Gamblers of the now defunct USFL.

Bobby's exploits in his three sports were much more recent and noteworthy because he was pivotal in bringing a State Title ('92) in Basketball as well as in the relay events in Track as noted by Dave earlier in thus thread. Bobby was a 6'3" 200 highly sought after CB. He would take his immense talent to Notre Dame to play for Lou Holtz in South Bend. He was an immediate starter for the Fighting Irish and a skilled cover corner because of his size & speed. Probably his greatest skill was in blocking field goal attempts. His special teams abilities were the stuff of legend...no doubt. All-American honors would follow as well. He spent 10 years in the NFL with the Philadelphia Eagles where was a pro bowler in 2002.

The nod here goes to Bobby Taylor in a very close call for greatest athlete from Longview High.

R J

• Like 1

There was a kid in '95 from Overton that was an overall excellent athlete, Zach English...LB/TE/RB on state semifinalist football team...tore ACL in that game...but he could play basketball, baseball, and golf with anyone...didn't get chance his senior year due that ACL.

• Like 1

There was a kid in '95 from Overton that was an overall excellent athlete, Zach English...LB/TE/RB on state semifinalist football team...tore ACL in that game...but he could play basketball, baseball, and golf with anyone...didn't get chance his senior year due that ACL.

Played with Zach... ridiculous natural talent. A better passer, pitcher, shooter, hitter, or whatever than anyone else on any field. The greatest player no one's ever heard of.

I've got to go with Bobby Taylor for Longview over Hosea Taylor. All state in football, all state & state champ in basketball, and all state in track. Anchored the 4X400 team that won state. Just an unbelievable overall talent

Bobby Taylor was around after I had moved from Longview. I was just a kid when I heard of what Hosea could do on the mound and gridiron. I'm sure there maybe a few people that know of Hosea's other talents in basketball and track.

Bobby Taylor was around after I had moved from Longview. I was just a kid when I heard of what Hosea could do on the mound and gridiron. I'm sure there maybe a few people that know of Hosea's other talents in basketball and track.

[/quote

DaveTV1...

I wrote an entire thesis (practically) about Hosea on page 2...check it out !?!

I'm an older LHS graduate...just sayin' ! lol

R.J.

THIS guy, right?:

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

...so he DID go to New Harmony? All of his bio info on the prominent Baseball stat sites show him having attended Harmony HS is Austin (???).

Doug graduated mid 80s from Harmony? What we were always told he maxed out at AA. He was either drafted by or signed with the Phillies.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/lindsdo01.shtml

Yeah. That's him Cheapy. Did not know that he made the Big Leagues. Pretty dang cool.

• Like 1

Since he said from your home town I will speak for Waskom and say Chan Amie is the best I have seen and I have seen a lot at Waskom.

I was thinking only football but Kevin Johnson probably was best all around for Waskom. Very good at Basketball and Track