Best All Around Athlete from your home town

EastTxFinest

Am NOT from East Texas....BUT from way up in "God's Country"...the Panhandle....2 names come to mind....1. Donnie Anderson...Stinnett High School...Texas Tech and Green Bay......he STILL looks like he could go out and hurt somebody today!!!!

2. Steve Garmon.....Groom High School...played at TCU in the 60's...was "picked up" by the Green Berets in 1965....and within 6 months was working in Secret Service...was the lead protector of Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan and finally retired under Bush Sr.....was a FREAK of nature....was a STATE shot put winner....AND anchored the 4x100 yd relay that won state in 1961.....AND in 1964 was scheduled to go to the olympics with another Groomite...in the shooting events....YEP us panhandle boys can shoot a gun.....MIGHT be why he was secret service.....my brother tells me....NO ONE would bet him hunting rabbits......was a crack shot!!!

Giovanna Arrondo was the last college All-American from Mt. Vernon, I believe.

Best female athlete out of Mt Vernon? Maybe her, one of the softball players from the state championship team? Ali Sherman?

But I don't think she was a better athlete than: Darrell Preston, Doyle Preston, Dustin Carr, Don Meredith, Ricky Jo Meeks...all division 1 athletes. Steve Gatlin led the state in rushing one year. I'm sure I'm missing some younger kids but I haven't lived in Mt Vernon in a long time.

There's been quite a few good ones from Gilmer. In fact, I can't choose just one as the "best", but I do have a name to throw out there...Red Jones. Not the Red Jones that played last year, but his dad. He played football and basketball in the early '90s. He is still THE fastest player I've ever seen on a football field in real life, by quite a bit actually. He was only about 5'10" maybe, but he could dunk a basketball pretty easily. He played at the same time as Bobby Taylor out of Longview. I remember seeing the both of them play playoff games in basketball at Commerce on the same night. Gilmer played Clarksville, but I can't remember who Longview played that night. Gilmer lost on a last second shot, and I think Longview went on to win a state title that year.

• Like 1

Best one I have seen come out of LE, or Texarkana for that matter... was Brandon Jones

He was a freak on the football field (state champion, played at OU, played for a few teams in the NFL)

He was just as good on the baseball field (drafted by the yankees in high school)

I remember him lighting it up in track also, but can't remember exactly which events he did.

Best one I have seen come out of LE, or Texarkana for that matter... was Brandon Jones

He was a freak on the football field (state champion, played at OU, played for a few teams in the NFL)

He was just as good on the baseball field (drafted by the yankees in high school)

I remember him lighting it up in track also, but can't remember exactly which events he did.

Home Town??

i cant remember if it he did triple or long jump but he didnt have much competition. i cant think of a better athlete, i know vasher played multiple sports but dont really remember him being on brandons level all around but i could be wrong that was a little while ago.

Champ would have a bigger list than me for Marshall but I remember 2 guys that seemed like they could do it all of they wanted to. 1) Paul Todd 1999, Great QB, State champ high jump, and I am pretty sure he would have made a great soccer, basketball or baseball player if he was allowed to play them all. And 2) Darius Jones He was literally good at everything he did.

Were there more than 2 sports in Marshall during YA's day? lol

Basketball, baseball, and track. I never heard of his highlights in the other sports. I almost forgot about George Foreman, but he grew up in Houston.

Basketball, baseball, and track. I never heard of his highlights in the other sports. I almost forgot about George Foreman, but he grew up in Houston.

George just had a house in Marshall. During his career, I am not sure he had a permanent home. My family used to do his laundry and he would stop in once every 3 months. His daughter was there a lot... so I wouldn't really say he is from Marshall.

George just had a house in Marshall. During his career, I am not sure he had a permanent home. My family used to do his laundry and he would stop in once every 3 months. His daughter was there a lot... so I wouldn't really say he is from Marshall.

Didn't he live in that big house out on 43 in between Marshall and Tatum?

He did grow up in Marshall and Houston.Was back and forth.Had family both places

He was born there, but was raised in Houston. He still visits. My stepson managed the music department at the Hastings in Nacogdoches when he was going to school at SFA. One day George made a stop passing through on his way to Marshall.