Hog apocalypse

Baron

I don't have a problem with it, and I saw on facebook that it caused the meat to turn blue in certain areas. I can't find it online so I'm unsure if the article was true. I know some people will eat it. I know back in the 70's that there were bounties placed on certain wild animals that caused harm to farmers and cattlemen. Why don't they offer that as well ? If they're not poisoned or contain diseases harmful to humans use the meat to feed the poor.

I don't have a problem with it, and I saw on facebook that it caused the meat to turn blue in certain areas. I can't find it online so I'm unsure if the article was true. I know some people will eat it. I know back in the 70's that there were bounties placed on certain wild animals that caused harm to farmers and cattlemen. Why don't they offer that as well ? If they're not poisoned or contain diseases harmful to humans use the meat to feed the poor.

My understanding is that there is bounty on hogs in Gillespie county, but I don't know how much. And I was told the other day that the coyotes are so bad here (I've lost 4 lambs since the new year and all my neighbors at least that many) that the bounty is $200. $125 from the state and $75 from the county.

As far as the rodenticide they're using to kill hogs goes, I'm not a fan. The baiting situation is very specific and I know some will not follow the guidelines. The product to be used is "Kaput" made by Scimetrics. Look it up and read the baiting guidelines. There's a reason it warns to remove livestock from the baited area until 90 days after termination of the program. Small animals will become poisoned and the whole food chain will become affected.

Exactly, someone eats the stuff unaware it's poisoned! Looks like kirt got some before people start running around placing pig poison.

That's some fine looking oinkers. When is the pig roast?

Some of my sister's cajun friends came up and they cooked a whole one two weeks ago. Fed about 25 folks. Was some fine eatin ...

• 6 months later...

The state of Louisiana may have the best idea yet on dealing with hogs. They have legalized slaughterhouses to purchase live wild hogs one day each week. There are some pretty strict regulations on it, but it seems that is all on the purchaser. I saw an advertisement offering $1/ lb.

If you make a way for people to make $$ on it, you'll get more people out there hunting and trapping them.

• 4 weeks later...

Checked the camera on one of my deer feeders yesterday and saw about 20 hogs milling around. There's a few pics of two "monster size" boars and a few big sows with litters. It's about 75 yards from my corral hog trap that I have baited with about 100lb of fermented corn. The suckers will not go in my trap!!!! I haven't caught any in a couple of months ....

• 3 weeks later...

I was checking my SD camera cards yesterday and I saw the largest group of hogs I have ever seen in one place.  I have a road on my place about 3/4 of a mile from my house going through about 50 acres of 10-15ft tall planted pines.  I have a big corral hog trap about midway along the road and I have a corn feeder and deer stand about 200 yards from the hog trap.  I was getting back in my truck and saw a big sow cross the road through the pines followed by a litter of 10-15 small pigs.  Then another sow, then another sow and their litters of piglets .... they just kept coming ... I counted 8 big sows and they were all followed by large litters of piglets ... and at least 20 or so other hogs of assorted sizes ran across as well ... there had to be well over 100 in all counting all the little pigs .... These things are breeding so fast nobody can make a dent in them ....

Well it's cooling off and I am about to head out to one of my deer stands.  Thinking about coming back tonight to see if any of those big boars show up under my boar light .... I have to make sure I don't mistake one of them for Kolmes crawling around on all fours out there ....:D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/23/2017 at 9:16 PM, trueblue82 said:

The state of Louisiana may have the best idea yet on dealing with hogs. They have legalized slaughterhouses to purchase live wild hogs one day each week. There are some pretty strict regulations on it, but it seems that is all on the purchaser. I saw an advertisement offering $1/ lb.

If you make a way for people to make $$ on it, you'll get more people out there hunting and trapping them.

Turn around and use this meat to feed folks on welfare.

• 1 year later...

Just another reason not to eat feral hog meat :  https://www.wideopeneats.com/officials-warn-that-feral-hog-meat-in-texas-is-infected-with-tapeworm-larvae/  .  For those of you out there that do, make sure you clean and properly cook the meat otherwise you'll either be in the bathroom a lot or visit to to the doctor, because you're going to be losing weight one way or another.  

• 3 months later...
On 9/24/2017 at 9:48 AM, Doomer said:

Does anyone know anything about Fuddruckers serving up hogburgers?

I can't believe I missed this comment.  Boy, you live closer to Neely's Brown Pig Stand in Marshall, and should know about getting you a pig sammich.  I still wouldn't eat them feral hog kinds, but as ol' Hayseed points out whack 'em stack'em, and make some footballs or pork rinds out of their blasted hides.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2019 at 5:40 PM, DaveTV1 said:

I can't believe I missed this comment.  Boy, you live closer to Neely's Brown Pig Stand in Marshall, and should know about getting you a pig sammich.  I still wouldn't eat them feral hog kinds, but as ol' Hayseed points out whack 'em stack'em, and make some footballs or pork rinds out of their blasted hides.  

TrueDat!

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...