Players Behavior During High School Sports In East Texas

DoorMat

During the past few years I have had the opportunity to watch several sporting events around East Texas. Most of the contests that I witnessed were well played with great sportsmanship. Recently, I have noticed a change involving the behavior of players toward other players and officials. The question I have for everyone is WHY HAS THIS GOTTEN TO THIS POINT? This past weekend I was told of a few incidents involving East Texas Baseball Teams. One game had a bench clearing brawl and the game was forfeited by both teams. Another incident had a player telling a Umpire "#$*^ You!! after he had been ejected for throwing his helmet and bat in disagreement about a strike call. Why has this gotten to this point? What need to be done to fix the problem?

When Billy and Susie have been told all their life how special they are, given trophies not for success but just being there, idolizing "bad boy" behavior your gonna get a generation of disrespectful, spoilt rotten brats. Spare the rod, spoil the child. Don't be your kids best friend, be a parent first. Show them actions have consequences. You wanna act the fool and show up an adult, be prepared to run your butt off if you have any butt left from the whipping your gonna get.

• Like 4

Players and kids in general, will do what they are allowed to do. If kids comes to me, having been allowed to act any way they want to, it's up to me to decide, am I going to allow this behavior reflect on my program, or am I going to put a stop to it. I choose to stop it. If the school and parents don't like that, well I was looking for a job when I found this one. What I have found is, if you make your expectations know up front, you will not have a problem. You either stop it, or allow it. There is very little in between room.

• Like 2

Players and kids in general, will do what they are allowed to do. If kids comes to me, having been allowed to act any way they want to, it's up to me to decide, am I going to allow this behavior reflect on my program, or am I going to put a stop to it. I choose to stop it. If the school and parents don't like that, well I was looking for a job when I found this one. What I have found is, if you make your expectations know up front, you will not have a problem. You either stop it, or allow it. There is very little in between room.

Exactly, you are either coaching it or allowing it.

You can also blame AAU and "Select" baseball/softball for most of it. Because kids are either paying to play or being paid to play, when they pay to play or get paid then they get to act however they choose.

• Like 2

Sometimes it's the parents in the stands acting like fools. This behavior is a bad example to their children. The word about the incident where the player cussed the umpire this weekend was that the idiot dad was screaming at the umpire. He blamed the umpire for his son's ejection instead of the actions of his son. Very sad when a parent can't control their own children and let them act as they please.

• Like 1

Blame the parenting not the athletes.

blame the coaches from not making them turn in their uniform. Charter is way more important than the sport. The parents take the lead the coaches are a distant second. It takes a heck of a man or lady as a coach to make the right decision. In the end it is a reflection of their character
  • Like 1

YEP.....Remember guys..."Little Johnny" is going PRO and you nor the umpire, ref, or other players is going to STOP HIM....when he becomes PRO he can act that way cause he will have $$$ for those "paltry" fines.....he's going PRO!!! and just because he's 4'2 and 340 lbs...and still has mama's booby in his mouth...doesn't mean "poopy"!!!!!! HE'S MY BOY....I got shafted because the coaches held me back when I was in school....and THAT ain't happening for MY BOY......

Been in ARDs at the JH level and heard the students tell the facilitator when they ask "what are you going to do when you finish school?".....EVERY TIME....I'm playing professional football/basketball/baseball.....don't want to squash their dream BUT Johnny, you can't hit the rim NOW, you cry when they throw you the ball...and you run away when someone tries to block you....guess we need to start the EFL/EBL/EBBL..."Entitlement Football League".....you get the picture....BOYS...time for me to get out of coaching...HEY....May 31 almost here!!!!!

• Like 3

YEP.....Remember guys..."Little Johnny" is going PRO and you nor the umpire, ref, or other players is going to STOP HIM....when he becomes PRO he can act that way cause he will have $$$ for those "paltry" fines.....he's going PRO!!! and just because he's 4'2 and 340 lbs...and still has mama's booby in his mouth...doesn't mean "poopy"!!!!!! HE'S MY BOY....I got shafted because the coaches held me back when I was in school....and THAT ain't happening for MY BOY......

Been in ARDs at the JH level and heard the students tell the facilitator when they ask "what are you going to do when you finish school?".....EVERY TIME....I'm playing professional football/basketball/baseball.....don't want to squash their dream BUT Johnny, you can't hit the rim NOW, you cry when they throw you the ball...and you run away when someone tries to block you....guess we need to start the EFL/EBL/EBBL..."Entitlement Football League".....you get the picture....BOYS...time for me to get out of coaching...HEY....May 31 almost here!!!!!

your right its time for you to get out...why do you have to bring in students who are having ARDs cause most of the time an ARD is for students who does not know what reality is..why don't you mention the spoiled little Brain-Trust that throws a fit cause they get an "B" instead of an "A"..then blames it on the teacher..

The bottom line is that kids see this type of behavior everyday on TV. It's on ESPN or FOX on a daily basis. Players in professional sports treat officials with no respect and it trickles down to high school athletics. I have no respect for coaches who allow these type of players to step on the field, court, or diamond. I know coaches who are more worried about winning and will try to achieve it at all costs. Even if it means letting their players act like jack wagons. I think the UIL should put into a place a mandatory 1 game suspension for players who get a unsportsmanlike call in football, technical in basketball and ejected in baseball. Maybe even construct the same for coaches. We have got to stop this type of behavior.

I blame the kids, first and foremost because they did it and they know they did wrong....I blame parents for not installing discipline when they was young...I blame coaches for allowing it, and not parting ways with the kids but making excuses for them...I blame school boards for taking away corporal punishment...I blame the hippies and liberals of the 60's because this is just the fruit of their beliefs...I blame all those who thought we could teach morals without God...and II blame society because that is a reflection of who we are as a country...

• Like 6

I have squashed many a dream

your right its time for you to get out...why do you have to bring in students who are having ARDs cause most of the time an ARD is for students who does not know what reality is..why don't you mention the spoiled little Brain-Trust that throws a fit cause they get an "B" instead of an "A"..then blames it on the teacher..

Mr. Locke....I thought there was a "letter" limit on my post.....THERE'S not enough letters to write or post about the "Brain-Trust" just because johnny had a mambe pambe teacher that sunk down when mama said she was going to the school board to get them fired because Johnny or Sally HAS to "get" an A....I DON'T GIVE GRADES...my students EARN every last point that they get....NOW there is a surge of parents that ALWAYS say that I treat my student differently....and YES I DO...I treat them like adults in an adult world......DO you get paid just because you show up to work??????...or do YOU have to do work to get paid?????.....I work my hind end off and get paid "NUTS" for what I do......and I teach the life lesson that "stuff" ain't free.....TANSTAAFL....somebody pays......might as well be YOU......my work ethic is also a sticking point.....school starts at 7:30 for most teachers and ends at 3:45........if THAT'S the case PAY ME OVER TIME!!!!!!....I ussually get to school between 5:30 and 6 EACH AND EVERY DAY....and don't leave school till 6-6:30...depends if mama comes late to pick up little johnny after practice....and I have done that for the kids both boys and girls for 38 years....many of our new teachers just leave them to be picked up because THEY want to get home.......work ethic has gone out the door....The Intern...remember he stayed till the BOSS left.....that don't happen today!!!!better shut up before I BLOW UP!!!!

• Like 1

I'm not sure that you're making a lot of sense as you've decided to play the victim in your chosen profession. Many parents do have very unrealistic expectations for their children but most parents know their kids aren't going pro. Your job is to help them get the most out of their time in your program and support them along the way.

If you want to debate whose responsibility it is to control the behavior of players during games that one is easy...it is the responsibility of the coach. Coaches throughout the state have been dealing with entitled kids and parents for a long, long time and the ones who are the most successful take full responsibility for the actions of their players and create an environment that does not tolerate negativity or selfishness.

I do really like that quote in your signature. John Wooden is one of the best!

Milty my friend.....I am NOT a victim.....I am just a person that has HIGH expectation and work ethics for myself AND my charge. Do you have expectations for YOUR own children???....I hope so.....We as teachers have been put in a very unusual situation in our society today....WE are teacher, parent and disciplinarian to these kids. IF WE DON'T DO IT WHO WILL?????....I grew up in a time when the saying was...."It takes a village to raise a child"....not just the teacher or the school.....Parents...parented....teachers taught and enlightened....Clergy took care of the spiritual needs....and the neighbors...well they were like 2nd parents.....I am at the end of my teaching journey and was ALWAYS taught to NEVER quit, NEVER be absent from work unless it was ABSOLUTELY necessary...(death or child)....my wife can attest....had my 2nd child in December on a Friday morn....YEP was at my Basketball game THAT NIGHT....thought that she(child) was going to be here during the football play-offs and I was ALWAYS by the phone in the pressbox just in case they called....NOW "young bucks" will take the whole week off to be with wife......Sorry...HAD in my wedding vows...that she was marrying a football coach and ALL that that entails.....TRUE STORY....Being a TEACHER and a Coach has been fun for 2 BIG reason.....#1 I get to help mold the next generations of American citizens....AND #2....I GET PAID for doing what I LOVE TO DO....teach and coach!!!!!!.....sorry got on my soap box...better get off before I fall off.....

Milty my friend.....I am NOT a victim.....I am just a person that has HIGH expectation and work ethics for myself AND my charge. Do you have expectations for YOUR own children???....I hope so.....We as teachers have been put in a very unusual situation in our society today....WE are teacher, parent and disciplinarian to these kids. IF WE DON'T DO IT WHO WILL?????....I grew up in a time when the saying was...."It takes a village to raise a child"....not just the teacher or the school.....Parents...parented....teachers taught and enlightened....Clergy took care of the spiritual needs....and the neighbors...well they were like 2nd parents.....I am at the end of my teaching journey and was ALWAYS taught to NEVER quit, NEVER be absent from work unless it was ABSOLUTELY necessary...(death or child)....my wife can attest....had my 2nd child in December on a Friday morn....YEP was at my Basketball game THAT NIGHT....thought that she(child) was going to be here during the football play-offs and I was ALWAYS by the phone in the pressbox just in case they called....NOW "young bucks" will take the whole week off to be with wife......Sorry...HAD in my wedding vows...that she was marrying a football coach and ALL that that entails.....TRUE STORY....Being a TEACHER and a Coach has been fun for 2 BIG reason.....#1 I get to help mold the next generations of American citizens....AND #2....I GET PAID for doing what I LOVE TO DO....teach and coach!!!!!!.....sorry got on my soap box...better get off before I fall off.....

It doesn't take a village to raise a child... The ones who started that BS are the same ones who LET their heathen children run free through the streets so THEY don't have go be responsibile for them. All you have to do is look at Chicago to see how a village raises a child.
  • Like 1