Should Home Schooled Kids be Able to Participate in Their Local Schools Athletics?

Hagar

I think a "Grandfather Clause" needs to take effect in this situation... Once you become a grand parent, No Taxes for school!

We get in the basketball games $2 cheaper, so we got that going for us lol.

• Like 2

Like I said on another thread about the subject. Education comes before sports. Why should a KID be excluded from sports just because their parents wanted the best possible education for them? It's VERY possible for a school to not be good enough for my child (if i had one) academically but the experience in sports is good enough.

• Like 1

Why should a KID be excluded from sports just because their parents wanted the best possible education for them?

due to the fact the parents chose to exclude their child from public education which includes school governance over extra curricular activities would be my guess

I dont see the logic in thinking... the education aspect is not up to our standard but the extracurricular aspect is up to our standard

due to the fact the parents chose to exclude their child from public education which includes school governance over extra curricular activities would be my guess

I dont see the logic in thinking... the education aspect is not up to our standard but the extracurricular aspect is up to our standard

It's not usually the education that is the problem when parents choose to home school... it's the kids interrupting and hindering their progress in public education that is the problem.

• Like 1

Here's my opinion on school taxes:

Old folks - no taxes (IR1 can barely afford to eat and use A/C

Married with children - yes

Married with no children - pay double (no kids, lots of money)

Single with no children - pay triple (no spouse, no kids, Tons of money)

:). No hate mail, just funnin.

Older people still pay school taxes, they only have them frozen at a set limit.

Back on topic, I say yes, because the parents are paying those same school taxes. If they weren't then no, but they are actually helping schools, because their child isn't going to school there. As long as they show up for practices, I think they should be able to play. That being said I think coaches should be able to kick them off the team for missing practice or for not being good enough to play. It wouldn't have bothered me if a kid played back in the day. As I've said our star player when I went to High School was never seen, except before school, lunch, and football practice. He had to have special education classes.

• Like 1

So quality of education and sports are equal in all school? Maybe priorities are out of order here. If kids play sports with other kids it will not affect their education but If a child is in a school in which test scores are low, that will affect their education.

• Like 1

So quality of education and sports are equal in all school? Maybe priorities are out of order here. If kids play sports with other kids it will not affect their education but If a child is in a school in which test scores are low, that will affect their education.

incorrect assumptions and never stated education/sports are equal...read the sentence

IMO when a parent/you choose to exclude your child from a public school (via homeschool or private) then you made the choice to exclude from all aspects of the public school program

I disagree with your statement on two points...

in my past career I watched hundreds of kids who played sports or were in extras such as Ag Mechanics and how the activity & teacher positively affected their education

and

Schools test scores are based upon averages of all tests taken at a campus, so there will be (and there are examples) students who excel academically at a campus with an low pass ratio on STAAR tests

incorrect assumptions and never stated education/sports are equal...read the sentence

IMO when a parent/you choose to exclude your child from a public school (via homeschool or private) then you made the choice to exclude from all aspects of the public school program

in my past career I watched hundreds of kids who played sports or were in extras such as Ag Mechanics and how the activity & teacher positively affected their education

and

Schools test scores are based upon averages of all tests taken at a campus, so there will be (and there are examples) students who excel academically at a campus with an low pass ratio on STAAR tests

There aren't always disruptions in the classrooms, but I promise you there is direct correlation between bad test scores and classroom disruptions.

There needs to be a school tax exemption for parents with proof of home-schooling and make the government quit punishing people for not bowing at their feet and lining their pockets

• Like 3

If your house catches fire, the fire department will come.

But what benefit do you get out of paying school taxes when your kid is home-schooled?

What benefit do I get out of Medicare Taxes I pay every month when I am responsible and keep a job that provides my family with insurance. I can list bunches of examples of where my tax money is used for something that I do not need. Food Stamps, Welfare, AIDS Research, I can go on for hours.......

What benefit do I get out of Medicare Taxes I pay every month when I am responsible and keep a job that provides my family with insurance. I can list bunches of examples of where my tax money is used for something that I do not need. Food Stamps, Welfare, AIDS Research, I can go on for hours.......

BCP I agree. The education of the masses is a benefit to all of society. If parents CHOOSE an alternative to the public school system, they are aware that it will come at a cost to them. I believe there are tax write-offs for parents who pay out of pocket expenses for education. My problem with home schooling is for every quality home schooled child, there is a "home schooled" child who was lazy at the public school. Mommy and daddy get mad and pull their child for home school and they just hang out.

It's not usually the education that is the problem when parents choose to home school... it's the kids interrupting and hindering their progress in public education that is the problem.

In my experience in education, home school children usually have not attended the public school system. I haven't seen many pulled to go to home school because of disruptions. (I am in no way saying this does not happen) My experience for kids being pulled for home school is the student has done one of the following: discipline issues, attendance issues or lack of any type of motivation and the parents can't make them do anything.

and

To your last sentence, test scores are a reflection of instruction and I would want my kid to have the best classroom instruction. Are you in the education field?

So are you justifying that these taxes used for these hints are ok? If your answer is "no it's wrong" then you are just solidifying my point.

In my experience in education, home school children usually have not attended the public school system. I haven't seen many pulled to go to home school because of disruptions. (I am in no way saying this does not happen) My experience for kids being pulled for home school is the student has done one of the following: discipline issues, attendance issues or lack of any type of motivation and the parents can't make them do anything.

In east Texas, where you start you generally stay. East Texans are just a different kind of people(in a good way).

In the metro areas, schooling can be a mess depending on where you live and work. I would rather teach my kids myself than send my kid to any high school in Ft worth ISD. However, public school in Parker county (mostly) are good enough that I don't feel the need to worry about classroom control and the content taught in the school.

In east Texas, where you start you generally stay. East Texans are just a different kind of people(in a good way).

In the metro areas, schooling can be a mess depending on where you live and work. I would rather teach my kids myself than send my kid to any high school in Ft worth ISD. However, public school in Parker county (mostly) are good enough that I don't feel the need to worry about classroom control and the content taught in the school.

GREAT POINT!!!! i was thinking the same thing. When it comes to this topic, you have to think outside the realm of rural areas. School experiences are not the same everywhere.

So are you justifying that these taxes used for these hints are ok? If your answer is "no it's wrong" then you are just solidifying my point.

No I am saying that the government taxes us all the time without it being to our benefit or without our approval. We elect representatives to enact policy and if we do not like what they do we change them.