For Cheapy, And The Old Knothole Kids Themselves Kirt and Hardin

Stoney

Traces of Texas reader William Thornton kindly sent in this stellar 1950 photo of baseball greats (L-R) Tris Speaker, Ty Cobb, and Duffy Lewis at a 1950 Dallas Eagles Old-timers baseball game at the now-extinct Burnett Field in Oak Cliff (just across the Trinity River from Downtown Dallas). Interestingly, the irascible Ty Cobb rarely made public appearances or personally-signed autographs but did so at this particular Old-timers game!

How unique is this? Ty Cobb may be the greatest player of all-time and Tris Speaker is also a hall-of-famer. Lewis was no slouch, with 1500+ hits over a 12-year career that was cut short by World War I and injuries.

Thank you, William. Awesome!IMG_0602.JPG

• Like 1

I'm all for bringing back Old Timer's games like these. Getting to see Toby Harrah and Jim Sundberg at Mike Carter in of these was a experience that every kid should be able to have.

There were some great Old-Timers Games played at Mike Carter Field in 1992 & 1993 as fund raisers for its renovations... :coolio:#sigh #goodoldays

I can not find my tickets from those games. I'd give my left pinky to have them back. The first baseball game I ever attended with my Grandpa. The guys when not in the field or at bat would walk the stands signing autographs. Great times.