Texas Monthly's Annual Best BBQ List

Stoney

I remember when Roland ran the place and then his son. I love Bodacious, and eat there every time I head back home. I remember back when their barbecue chicken was black from the smoke, but they were juicy and the meat was pink from the smoke. If I was running low on money I always got their sloppy joe that was just a $1, the chopped beef sandwiches down here are basically the same thing and they're $7. I will attest to Pinkerton's in Houston, but if you're in Houston on a Sunday I suggest Pappas BBQ. They have all you can eat ribs for $9.99 with two sides, and they're great. I do wonder why the Country Tavern in Kilgore didn't make the list, because they've got great ribs. I will say that the Bodacious in Tyler aren't half as good as the one's in Longview or Kilgore for that matter.

I think Rib Masters in Whitehouse is hands down better than Stanley's ... I've eaten at several of the older places that seem to make this list year in and year out. Most of them are excellent. I could add a dozen or more bbq joints that are better than most on this list. It seems a lot of them are newer "faddish" or "hip" places that aren't even close when it comes to good bbq ...

Never been to Stanley's or Country Tavern...

Stanley's is solid, though I enjoy it more as a hangout/music venue.

Tavern used to be the best back in the day, but since ol' lady Lois passed away it's gone downhill considerably. Her kids don't know what they're doing.

Stanley's is solid, though I enjoy it more as a hangout/music venue.

Tavern used to be the best back in the day, but since ol' lady Lois passed away it's gone downhill considerably. Her kids don't know what they're doing.

That might be why they didn't make the list. I remember a place in Lufkin that we used to eat at almost every time we came back from Galveston. They had great barbeque. I can't remember the name of the place, but it was on the circle down there. I used to love Luther's down here in Houston back in the day before Papas bought them out. I refuse to eat at Bone Daddy's they seem to think their barbecue is special and want to charge $2 more for any many items than any others. Dickey's is terrible here. I went to get a sliced beef sandwich, and they had over smoked the brisket. I saw the block man cutting it, and it was falling apart like chopped beef. I don't mind the lifter cut being really tender, but the flat needs to be intact. I call it the lifter cut, because that's what an old pitmaster called it. Some call it the deckle. I also prefer mine smoked with hickory, but I love mesquite for steaks.