Official 2017-2018 District 16-5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

Part of me wishes Longview and Lufkin would drop down again and Nac would go up and it would be a reunion of sorts.

Texas High

Longview

John Tyler

Lufkin

Nacogdoches

Harkens back to 1989 when these 5 were all in a district together (minus Marshall and Lee).

But I think either of these scenarios are unlikely. JT fans are swearing they are dropping....but seems unlikely for Longview or Lufkin. And Nac's numbers have been on a slow decrease for almost 2 decades.....so hard to imagine them moving up to D1.

I have a feeling JT and Texas High will be headed to Mesquite/Dallas ISD. Would love to see JT/HP happen....LMAO

Even if those 5 teams were the only remaining 5A D1 teams, we wouldn't be put together.

Texarkana/Longview/John Tyler would go East. Lufkin/Nacogdoches would go West.

With Highland Park moving up, and West almost a certainty to move up as well, if JT/THigh are together...well. Those Dallas schools are going to hate driving to Texarkana for sure.

Be careful putting MP back down at the bottom of this list. I am not calling for a district championship, but this team has continued to improve since the new coach got comfortable. MP is the kind of team that scares me if I am a coach in this district. They have had some recent successes which can excite the kids and the community. Pre-district will reveal more about this sleeping giant.

These predictions are fun, but the Wildcats of SS are back this year. Coach Owens has got a special group of kids that have struggled the past couple of years, but with the experience gained they will shock much of the district this year with a fast paced/high powered offense. Coach Owens will have the Cats ready to take on this struggling district. Pine Tree, Greenville, Hallsville, and MP won't be within two scores of the Cats when the fat lady sings. I'll say this, the Cats are playoff bound! Get some!

These predictions are fun, but the Wildcats of SS are back this year. Coach Owens has got a special group of kids that have struggled the past couple of years, but with the experience gained they will shock much of the district this year with a fast paced/high powered offense. Coach Owens will have the Cats ready to take on this struggling district. Pine Tree, Greenville, Hallsville, and MP won't be within two scores of the Cats when the fat lady sings. I'll say this, the Cats are playoff bound! Get some!

I have the SS nascats getting that 3rd spot fairly easily. They should finally have that offense rolling again. The qb is a good one and dont think the other 4 teams will keep up. If ss finds a defense I can see them giving the top 2 teams a game.

They have had some recent successes which can excite the kids and the community.

They were 3-8 last year.

Not taking anything away from them. But that's called success?

District should be better this season (can't be any worse can it?). Going to be tough considering the number of starters MP lost from last year.

I think he was referring to making the playoffs. Harpers first year we had the same record and lost in bi district, but just making the playoffs had us fired up. When your coming from 1-9 or 0-10, that kind of season can be used to build on. We are proof of that. Now its not really success on paper, rather just a horrible district. But I remember our kids being fired up after squeaking out wins against Mt P and Pine Tree.. Making the playoffs in football has a really special feeling to it. Especially for the struggling programs.

Playing a state champ in that kind of nice venue had to motivate those guys as well. Can you imagine Mt. Ps Junior Varsity on the side line all wide eyed? The score wasnt pretty but Highland Park tends to run up the score on certain teams. Ive heard. I know Marshall will once again be pulling for y'all to slip in.

Def pulling for MP!!!

And I remember 2013 well. And there's no doubt I was excited about making the playoffs after a 2 year absence.

But I knew we weren't very good.

Especially compared to Wylie.

------

And as someone stated....

I think 5A Div II is going to be a lot of fun starting next year.

Be careful putting MP back down at the bottom of this list. I am not calling for a district championship, but this team has continued to improve since the new coach got comfortable. MP is the kind of team that scares me if I am a coach in this district. They have had some recent successes which can excite the kids and the community. Pre-district will reveal more about this sleeping giant.

Sleeping giant? Lord

We are discussing the Mt. Pleasant, TEXAS team?

We are discussing the Mt. Pleasant, TEXAS team?

With the reemergence of MP and SS after a woeful year, watch out East Texas :lol:

So if I have this right:

Marshall should easily win state

Texas High suddenly lost all of their talent with a new great coaching hire

Hallsville is in turmoil

MP may win the district

So will SS

Pine Tree should be good enough to make the playoffs

Am I missing anything? :lol:

With the reemergence of MP and SS after a woeful year, watch out East Texas :lol:

So if I have this right:

Marshall should easily win state

Texas High suddenly lost all of their talent with a new great coaching hire

Hallsville is in turmoil

MP may win the district

So will SS

Pine Tree should be good enough to make the playoffs

Am I missing anything? :lol:

Looks like you are point on to me.

I think every team has major questions headed into the season.

1. Texas High's offense is going to be REALLY young. Can they pull it together to make a strong attack? New offensive systems to learn? Oh....and they have a new coach.

2. Marshall has huge question marks at QB. Nothing really seems to have resolved at QB since last year. Not to mention a defense that could NOT stop a rushing attack last season Have they improved? Oh...and they have a new coach.

3. Hallsville is coming off what might be a program low. They lost to Pine Tree for the first time in forever. They need a defense and their OL is a huge question headed into the season. Oh....and they have a new coach.

4. "this is Pine Tree's year" is being said for the umpteenth time in the last decade. Their offense is generally always good. Their defense has been horrendous for years. Oh...and they have a 2nd year coach.

5. Sulphur Springs' offense hasn't been in question for a long, long time. The NASCAR is still humming. But what seems to be a theme in this district.... this car has no breaks. They can't stop anyone defensively. Oh...and they have the ONLY tenured coach .

6. MP has had some struggled the last 4-5 years. Mostly defensive.... but they've struggled offensively too with a lack of size and no blue chips on the OL or at the QB or WR slots. Just had lots of grit. Their defense returns 3 starters. Coach has been there...nvm.

7. Greenville..... the Lions have finished last in the district more often than not of late. Not even sure where to begin with what they need. They return more starters than any other team in 16-5A. But they were 1-9.

All this to say.... we ALL have to recover from what was a truly HORRENDOUS season for the district last year. Only two teams finished with winning records (Texas High and Marshall).... but 0-4 in the playoffs (0-8 if you count the other East Texas 5A district) magnified the problem. Especially when you see the scores.

Horrific.

Texas High has been the 300lbs gorilla in this district for a long time. Hard to take that title away from them until it's ripped away.

Marshall's offseason chatter could be all hot air and could turn out to be a hot mess on the field.

Hallsville will be under the microscope to see if a small school coach can succeed at the big school level.

Has PT finally found a staff that will stick around? And what if they squat again? Time to change again?

Interesting stuff to watch this season.

Not to mention the numbers that will be coming out in October to determine the split 5A starting in 2018.

Well, since all six other teams have declared themselves playoff teams...what the hell, mark us down for fourth. :lol: :lol:

On the one hand, I love the scenic drives out to East Texas, beats the hell out of driving through the Metromess. On the other hand, give us someone we can compete with already. :)

But hey, we've officially got the best high school solar car team in the world, and a world-renowned robotics team, the Robowranglers. If they ever come out with solar-powered-robot football, I like our chances. :lol:

OK, carry on.

• Like 1

FNF ranks Marshall 22 preseason and predicts they advance to the 3rd round of the 5AD2 playoffs where they lose to Lancaster.

They have Texas High #30 also advancing to the 3rd round of of the 5AD1 playoffs losing to Mansfield Lake Ridge.

They have MP losing to Highland Park in the first round D1 and Hallsville to Mesquite in D2.

Enrollment numbers are going to be huge this October with so many of them bunched together.

Marshall, MP, and Hallsville are all within less than 30 students of each other. PT isn't far behind those 3.

Any growth spurt by any of those 4 could suddly get bumped to D1 if they are in the top 4.

Texas High is D1 locked.

SS and Greenville are D2 locked.

TxH 1914

MP 1472

Marsh 1447

Halls 1444

PT 1327

Gvl 1257

SS 1177

Numbers to watch:

C Hill 1082

Kilgore 1065

I think 15-5A sweeps, again.

I think until it's proven otherwise, how can anyone think differently. I think Marshall will be improved, but until it's shown on the field...it's just talk and opinions.

Enrollment numbers are going to be huge this October with so many of them bunched together.

Marshall, MP, and Hallsville are all within less than 30 students of each other. PT isn't far behind those 3.

Any growth spurt by any of those 4 could suddly get bumped to D1 if they are in the top 4.

Texas High is D1 locked.

SS and Greenville are D2 locked.

TxH 1914

MP 1472

Marsh 1447

Halls 1444

PT 1327

Gvl 1257

SS 1177

Numbers to watch:

C Hill 1082

Kilgore 1065

I posted this in the 5A/6A enrollment thread a while back but here is what each school or school district (excluding Tyler ISD) had 11th-8th grade this year according to TEA. Give or take a couple of students, this will be in the neighborhood of what these schools will have in the Fall:

Longview = 2,447

Lufkin = 2,299

Texas High = 1,950

Nacogdoches = 1,795

Corsicana = 1,671

Mt.Pleasant = 1,529

Hallsville = 1,502

Marshall = 1,480

Whitehouse = 1,440

Jacksonville = 1,360

Longview Pine Tree = 1,342

Sulphur Springs = 1,275

Lindale = 1,210

Kilgore = 1,154

Chapel Hill = 1,079

Just testing out my new helmet graphics before I start making the standings over the next few weeks. Let me know if anything's off; I can't find Mount Pleasant's helmet decal anywhere so they get an old one.

District%2016-5A%202017%20smallest.png

Edit: updated to add the correct district number.