Official 2017-2018 District 16-5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

9th Grade, Pine Tree A blew out Greenville 35-7. Pine Tree B won 14-0.

Can't find a JV score yet. Since Pine Tree Athletics on Twitter reported both 9th grade wins and didn't report the JV score, leads me to think Greenville took that one. Just a guess though.

• Like 1

Some tidbits today:

Marshall's Sophomore QB FINALLY turns 15 today. A win tonight over MP will improve the team to 3-0 in district, but also inch them a little closer to a .500 record at (3-4). HBD to JJ and GOOD LUCK!

Heard that Texas High's starting QB is likely out another 3-4 weeks with a shoulder injury he suffered late in the game Vs. Marshall 2 weeks ago. He COULD be done for the season. But that has not been confirmed. Their backup QB is no slouch. He lead the Tigers to the potential game-tying score late Vs. Marshall. Sounds like the Tigers will be in strong hands. But....trust me...if anyone understands QB injuries....it's me. Marshal has lost 3 starters in the last 3 seasons. Quick healing for QB Clack!

This is NOT a typo:

The winner of tonight's PT and Greenville game will either be all alone in first place or tied with Marshall for first place (depending on the outcome of the Mav game). If the Lions win... next week's game Vs Marshall COULD be an early battle for the district title. If PT wins.... the Marshall/PT game could be HUGE in a few weeks. Potentially for a district title. Lots of games left though.

Playoff Squeeze:

If Marshall and PT win tonight...both will be 3-0 and could prove to be playoff clinchers barring some serious upsets down the road. That means only 2 more slots remain for the other 5. It doesn't MATHEMATICALLY clinch for either....but 3 wins historically will get you in. Stay tuned.

Quiet on the Homefront:

No thread for PT/Greenville.... and this is a big game for both programs. Huge game. Not a peep.

No thread for SS/THS....and that's a rivalry game. A MUST win for SS. Overcoming an 0-3 start could be rough. Texas High wants to avoid 0-2.

Hallsville folk not saying much either.

Weird season.

Realignment might be the biggest topic of the season sadly.

Just need SS/THS scores for the standings to be complete

JV

Greenville won (final?)

Marshall beat MP 36-6

Texas beat SS 25-8

Hallsville- BYE

Hallsville 2-0

Texas High 2-0

Sulphur Springs 2-1

Marshall 1-2

Greenville 1-2

MP 1-2

Pine Tree 0-3

----------

9TH (A Teams)

Marshall beat MP 50-0

Pine Tree beat Greenville 35-7

Texas beat SS 36-18

Hallsville- BYE

Texas High 2-0

Marshall 2-1

Pine Tree 2-1

Hallsville 1-1

Greenville 1-1

SS 1-2

Mount Pleasant 0-3

-----------

Varsity

Marshall 2-0

Pine Tree 2-0

Greenville 1-0

Hallsville 1-1

Texas High 0-1

Sulphur Springs 0-2

Mount Pleasant 0-2

Just need SS/THS scores for the standings to be complete

JV

Greenville won (final?)

Marshall beat MP 36-6

Texas beat SS 25-8

Hallsville- BYE

Hallsville 2-0

Texas High 2-0

Sulphur Springs 2-1

Marshall 1-2

Greenville 1-2

MP 1-2

Pine Tree 0-3

----------

9TH (A Teams)

Marshall beat MP 50-0

Pine Tree beat Greenville 35-7

Texas beat SS 36-18

Hallsville- BYE

Texas High 2-0

Marshall 2-1

Pine Tree 2-1

Hallsville 1-1

Greenville 1-1

SS 1-2

Mount Pleasant 0-3

-----------

Varsity

Marshall 2-0

Pine Tree 2-0

Greenville 1-0

Hallsville 1-1

Texas High 0-1

Sulphur Springs 0-2

Mount Pleasant 0-2

Greenville JV 31

Pine Tree JV 0

Final

Greenville JV is now 1-1 District

• Like 1

No thread for SS/THS....and that's a rivalry game. .

I don't think anybody here really considers Sulphur Springs a rivalry game. I know they got under Norton's skin years back when their fans stormed the field after a win but other than Ark High nobody considers anybody a rivalry game. I wish we had one to be honest

Holy Heart Stopper, Batman. Pine Tree has absolutely no freakin' quit in them. None. They made up 14 points (for the second time in the game, mind you) in the last four minutes of the game (including an onside kick that went straight through one of our diving player's hands, and a 2-point conversion after the first touchdown's extra point attempt was blocked), only for us to pull an Aaron Rodgers and hit on a 4th and 12 touchdown pass from their 31 with 15 seconds left. Good grief, this is one heck of a rivalry game. Wish it could continue, despite the distance.

Greenville has now won the Homecoming game for the third game in a row this season!

Greenville 35, Pine Tree 28

Marshall 40, Mount Pleasant 0

Texas High 35, Sulphur Springs 21

2 HUGE games this week. Greenville and Marshall play for first place and to remain undefeated in district. Can Greenville win their 4th straight homecoming game? Honestly i hate that such a big game will be homecoming and all the distractions that come along with it. Then Hallsville vs Pine Tree for what could be the last playoff spot. If Pine Tree loses that game it will be a rough couple of weeks going from playing for 1st place to being on the outside looking in. Texas High shouldnt have much problem with MP.

Playoff watch:

Marshall got their 3rd win, which should be enough to get them in, but they haven't mathematically clinched. They will need one more to clinch. They are likely headed to 5A Div I with MP all but eliminated. A small growth spurt by Hallsville and a winning streak COULD knock the Mavs down to Div II.... but those are 2 BIG ifs.

Greenville has Marshall and Texas High the next two weeks before closing out the season Vs. Mount Pleasant and, SS. One more win will likely get them in....two more will clinch it. They will be 5A Div II for sure...so they are looking to remain the top seed.

Texas High got back on track with their win over SS. They got MP and then Greenville. They will be headed to 5A Div I.....but as it stands now, they are staring down the barrel of Highland Park in the first round unless they can get some help from Greenville to beat Marshall....and maybe another Mav slip up before the end. Texas High still has PT and Hallsville on the schedule as well.

Pine Tree is in a bit of a pickle from their loss to Greenville. It effectively has put their backs against the wall against Hallsville. A loss to the Bobcats with Marshall and Texas High following could end their playoff hopes. However, a win over Hallsville could all but clinch their first playoff since 2000....no matter what happens when they play the Mavs and Tigers. They will go 5A Div II no matter what.

Hallsville needs to beat PT. If they don't...their season might be done.... or at least force them to knock off either Marshall or Texas High.... Sulphur Springs is their other remaining game. They could go Div I or II depending on their snapshot number. They were less than 10 smaller than Marshall last season. If they had a small amount of growth or MHS dips, the Bobcats could go Div I. Otherwise they will go Div II. But losing to PT could all but end their playoff hopes. A win....and a game Vs. SS in a few weeks might be enough to get them into the postseason.

SS and MP are both 0-3...and that's a DEEP hole to dig out of. The good news for the Wildcats is that they have already played Marshall and Texas High and could get hot in the last 3 to get in with games Vs. MP, Greenville, and Hallsville.

MP on the other hand might need a miracle as they have Texas High next.....so 0-4 is a distinct possibility. 2-4 likely won't be enough to get in even if they were to pull out wins against Greenville and SS.

If the playoffs were this week:

5A Div I: Marshall Vs. West Mesquite (5-1)

5A Div I: Texas High/Hallsville Vs. Highland Park (5-1)

5A Div II: Greenville Vs. Mesquite Poteet (3-3)

5A Div II: Pine Tree Vs. North Forney (5-1)

I'll be thrilled to see the new alignment come. With us in D-1......HP has about 700 more than us..... West Mesquite has about 600 more than us. Last season Wylie East had about 500 more than us. In 2015 Lone Star had 5-600 more than us. Wylie was MUCH bigger than us in 2013. I think SOC in 2014 was the only smaller school we've lost to this decade. I think Sherman was pretty close to our size and so was Denison.

WIll be interesting to see how alignment changes things for East Texas 5A when it comes to the playoffs come next season.

Until then..... just enjoying the ride in 2017.