Official 2017-2018 District 16-5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

Only thing I don’t like about our gym is that there is no mandatory home or visitors side. Too much mingling could turn into a bad thing (fight).. In MP last month at the game a MP fan walked down to our bench and it got rowdy and he was tossed. But the good thing was the towns were on opposite sides of the gym. I wish it would be the same tonight but I highly doubt it’s enforced

51 minutes ago, Cletus said:

Referees have nothing to do with the score, but I hate it when they take a big game like this and make it about themselves.

Ridiculous. Lotta kids jaw jacking but it’s a rivalry. Most techs I’ve ever saw for being competitive 

Congrats to SS, best team won both match ups.  Good luck in the postseason! 

I have never seen so many T's handed out and I felt most could have been handled differently.  I made the comment in the JV game that that crew seemed to want it to be about them and they certainly did. Again, not bad either way and had nothing to do with the outcome. A guy sitting next to me said they must not wear the pants at home so they officiate, so they can be in charge. Pretty good observation in my opinion.

I was also impressed with the way SS kids acted on the court.  Can't say the same for our kids.

• Thanks 1

MEN
Sulphur Springs beat Mount Pleasant 68-57
Marshall beat Hallsville 70-53
Texas High beat Greenville (Score?  Gazette is blocking articles....again)
Pine Tree- OFF

Sulphur Springs' win over MP last night all but clinched the district title for the WIldcats. MP will settle for the #2 slot.  Marshall clinched a playoff with their blowout win over Hallsville.  The Bobcats are nearly on life support for the playoff hopes.  Texas High beat Greenville as the Tigers continue to chase Marshall for the #3 slot.  

STANDINGS
Sulphur Springs (9-1)*
Mount Pleasant (9-2)*
Marshall (6-5)*
Texas High (5-5)
Hallsville (4-6)
Pine Tree (2-8)
Greenville (1-9)

*Clinched a playoff berth

------------------------------------------

LADIES
SS beat MP
Marshall beat Hallsville
Texas High beat Greenville
Pine Tree- OFF

The regular season is done and the district title is still undecided.  SS and Texas High will have to face off to determine the top seed.  MP has settled in to the #3 slot, while PT will round out the playoff teams.  

STANDINGS
Sulphur Springs (11-1)*
Texas High (11-1)*
Mount Pleasant (8-4)*
Pine Tree (5-7)*

Marshall (4-8)
Greenville (3-9)

Hallsville (0-12)

14 hours ago, SSCatz said:

Ridiculous. Lotta kids jaw jacking but it’s a rivalry. Most techs I’ve ever saw for being competitive 

I wasn't able to catch until the 4th quarter (great Facebook live feed btw!). What happened with all the techs? I mean....you hit it on the head, that crew should know it's a rivalry game and let the competitiveness come out! I hate that officials now want to T up any and every kid for just being competitive. Now if profanity and other extras are thrown around, that's when you need to get ahold of it. Sounds like the game last night had the typical East Texas crew rolling through with chips on their shoulders. smh 

Congrats to SS! 

12 minutes ago, MaravichVSChitwood said:

I wasn't able to catch until the 4th quarter (great Facebook live feed btw!). What happened with all the techs? I mean....you hit it on the head, that crew should know it's a rivalry game and let the competitiveness come out! I hate that officials now want to T up any and every kid for just being competitive. Now if profanity and other extras are thrown around, that's when you need to get ahold of it. Sounds like the game last night had the typical East Texas crew rolling through with chips on their shoulders. smh 

Congrats to SS! 

Thanks.

Yep just competing. Both teams with kids just tryna find a way to win. MP swept us last season so our kids of course wanted revenge. We just beat them last month so of course they wanted to win as well. Not to mention the district championship was on the line. I have to agree with a previous post on here about refs making the game about them. Truth be known it could've been the biggest crowd they have officiated in front of. Regardless that rivalry likely goes all the way back to dads, uncles, brothers and what have you.  That game was way bigger to alot of those kids than those refs may ever know.  I just don't like how some of it was handled. 

Hats off to MP. That is a good team that should make a good run in the playoffs. They have HEART

4 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

MEN
Sulphur Springs beat Mount Pleasant 68-57
Marshall beat Hallsville 70-53
Texas High beat Greenville (Score?  Gazette is blocking articles....again)
Pine Tree- OFF

Sulphur Springs' win over MP last night all but clinched the district title for the WIldcats. MP will settle for the #2 slot.  Marshall clinched a playoff with their blowout win over Hallsville.  The Bobcats are nearly on life support for the playoff hopes.  Texas High beat Greenville as the Tigers continue to chase Marshall for the #3 slot.  

STANDINGS
Sulphur Springs (9-1)*
Mount Pleasant (9-2)*
Marshall (6-5)*
Texas High (5-5)
Hallsville (4-6)
Pine Tree (2-8)
Greenville (1-9)

*Clinched a playoff berth

------------------------------------------

LADIES
SS beat MP
Marshall beat Hallsville
Texas High beat Greenville
Pine Tree- OFF

The regular season is done and the district title is still undecided.  SS and Texas High will have to face off to determine the top seed.  MP has settled in to the #3 slot, while PT will round out the playoff teams.  

STANDINGS
Sulphur Springs (11-1)*
Texas High (11-1)*
Mount Pleasant (8-4)*
Pine Tree (5-7)*

Marshall (4-8)
Greenville (3-9)

Hallsville (0-12)

If you're referring to the Texarkana Gazette then something to remember in the future.  They are now being printed in Little Rock so the deadline for sports stories to be turned in is 9:15 PM.  Gonna be a lot of late night local sports not in the paper the next day.

What chapter does SS use for officiating?  I know they don't use the MP Chapter, but they might want to consider changing.  I can promise you the guys who would have been assigned to that game would not have handled the game the way this one was handled.  Take the game in MP for example, exact same thing happened, huge crowd, level of intensity was extremely high and words were exchanged.  Not one technical was handed out in that contest, even when Savage and SS #0 got tied up.  Referee stepped in and talked to both kids and everything was fine.  What was the total on T's last night?  Was it 5 for MP and 4 for SS or 4 for MP and 3 for SS?

1st round matchups      I honestly believe that our district can sweep this entire district 1st round.  Sulphur Springs played Royse City who looks to be their possible district champ in December and won 59-30. Every playoff team in our district is better than Royse City in my opinion. That would be awesome.

15-5A Standings 

Dist.       Ovr

x-Royse City                  10-2     18-5

x-Forney                         9-3       23-7

x-Highland Park           8-4       15-9

Lovejoy                          6-6       10-20

West Mesquite            5-7       9-17

Poteet                           5-7       11-18  

North Forney                3-9       7-15    

Wylie East                     2-10     3-24

x-clinched playoff berth

Friday’s 15-5A Games

Poteet at Forney, 7 p.m.

Royse City at West Mesquite, 7 p.m.

Lovejoy at Highland Park, 7 p.m.

North Forney at Wylie East, 7 p.m.

I would be careful about talking about a sweep.  DFW basketball is different than East Texas basketball.  If Sulphur Springs plays Lovejoy, they may get all they can handle.  Remember last year the undefeated district champ was beaten by a 3rd place team in the 2nd round.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1