Official 2017-2018 District 16-5A Sports Thread

Mavchamp

2 hours ago, bingosmith said:

I would be careful about talking about a sweep.  DFW basketball is different than East Texas basketball.  If Sulphur Springs plays Lovejoy, they may get all they can handle.  Remember last year the undefeated district champ was beaten by a 3rd place team in the 2nd round.

I wouldn't. Seen all 4 of those teams play and also all 4 of the potential playoff teams from 16-5A...a sweep is a definite possibility this year. Lovejoy will get smoked by SS. I don't see MP or SS having any issues UNTIL the 2nd round. That 3rd place team last year that beat the undefeated MP boys in the second round was in a LOADED district with Prosper, Little Elm, McKinney North (the team that did it) and Creekview. 

HP lost a lot of talent from last years Regional Finalist team. Forney is the darkhorse in that district I think. 

DFW ball IS very different, but I don't think you see the actual DFW Ball that most people speak of from District 15-5A. Not this year. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bingosmith said:

I would be careful about talking about a sweep.  DFW basketball is different than East Texas basketball.  If Sulphur Springs plays Lovejoy, they may get all they can handle.  Remember last year the undefeated district champ was beaten by a 3rd place team in the 2nd round.

SWEEP! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bingosmith said:

Royse City must play this DFW ball that i know nothing of because they finally reached 30 points against SS on a last second shot and they are your "Yes we are kinda in DFW" district champs.

SS and MP have played DFW teams and held their own.  SS swept the city of Rockwall and was dismantling a team in your district in the Garland tournament until fatigue from barely losing to South Garland 2 hours earlier set in...Beat JJ Pearce, lost to a real good Cibolo Steele (SA) team by not much and lost to Dallas Jesuit... I speak of facts outskirts of DFW guy

• LOL! 3

SS and Texas High ladies face off for the seeding game tonight.  They are co-champs.

Playoffs start next week.

------------------

Marshall faces PT and can clinch the #3 slot with the win.

SS travels to Greenville.

Hallsville faces Texas High in a MUST WIN if the Bobcats want any hope of the playoffs.

MP is off.

MEN
Texas High beat Hallsville 82-44
Pine Tree beat Marshall 62-60
Sulphur Springs beat Greenville 75-42
Mount Pleasant- OFF

Texas High eliminated Hallsville from the playoff chase with their win over the Bobcats....sealing up the final playoff slot.  Marshall had an inexcusable loss to Pine Tree.  Sulphur Springs clinched no less than a tie for the district title with their win over Greenville.

STANDINGS
Sulphur Springs (10-1)*
Mount Pleasant (9-2)*
Marshall (6-6)*
Texas High (6-5)*
Hallsville (4-7)
Pine Tree (3-8)
Greenville (1-10)

*Clinched a playoff berth

------------------------------------------

LADIES
Regular season is over.  

Texas High took the top seed with a 64-61 lead over Sulphur Springs.  They ended the regular season tied after splitting their games.  

STANDINGS
Sulphur Springs (11-1)*
Texas High (11-1)*
Mount Pleasant (8-4)*
Pine Tree (5-7)*

Marshall (4-8)
Greenville (3-9)

Hallsville (0-12)

-----------------------------------------

Girls Playoff Games:
Texas High Vs Highland Park

Sulphur Springs Vs. Mesquite Poteet.....Monday 7PM Emory Rains
Mount Pleasant Vs. Lovejoy.....Monday.....8PM Wills Point
Pine Tree Vs. Wylie East.....Monday..... 6PM Wills point

MEN'S SOCCER

Mount Pleasant (3-0)
Sulphur Springs (2-1)
Hallsville (1-1)
Greenville (1-1)
Marshall (1-2)
Pine Tree (1-2)
Texas High (0-2)

------------------------------

WOMEN'S SOCCER

Sulphur Springs 3-0
Mount Pleasant 2-0-1
Hallsville 1-0-1
Texas High 1-1
Pine Tree 1-2
Greenville 0-2
Marshall 0-3

SS and Texas High ladies face off for the seeding game tonight.  They are co-champs.

Playoffs start next week.

------------------

"Marshall faces PT and can clinch the #3 slot with the win.

SS travels to Greenville.

Hallsville faces Texas High in a MUST WIN if the Bobcats want any hope of the playoffs.

MP is off."

Is this the same Marshal team that got against the sideline and just handed the ball back and forth against SS?  That video was hysterical...I guess that is one way to keep the score down.

On 2/9/2018 at 1:22 PM, SSCatz said:

Royse City must play this DFW ball that i know nothing of because they finally reached 30 points against SS on a last second shot and they are your "Yes we are kinda in DFW" district champs.

SS and MP have played DFW teams and held their own.  SS swept the city of Rockwall and was dismantling a team in your district in the Garland tournament until fatigue from barely losing to South Garland 2 hours earlier set in...Beat JJ Pearce, lost to a real good Cibolo Steele (SA) team by not much and lost to Dallas Jesuit... I speak of facts outskirts of DFW guy

I get that SS and Mt. P are good basketball teams but when you are talking about sweeping another district you have to have 4 good teams.  Marshall and THigh have NOT shown that they are good enough to beat a 1 or 2 seed especially a "DFW" district champ!

32 minutes ago, bingosmith said:

I get that SS and Mt. P are good basketball teams but when you are talking about sweeping another district you have to have 4 good teams.  Marshall and THigh have NOT shown that they are good enough to beat a 1 or 2 seed especially a "DFW" district champ!

You can tell by their record that Marshall is down this year.  No one expects them to beat a DFW school in the playoffs... but one thing about Marshall and coach Carson's teams is that they can get hot and light up the long ball like a 1st round Cinderella in March Madness.  So if I were a DFW school, I would play them tight on D and not let up until you have a very comfortable lead.  

MEN
Sulphur Springs beat Hallsville 78-45
Texas High beat Pine Tree 85-52
MP beat Greenville 72-45
Marshall- OFF

FINAL STANDINGS
Sulphur Springs (11-1)*
Mount Pleasant (10-2)*
Texas High (7-5)*
Marshall (6-6)*
Hallsville (4-8)
Pine Tree (3-9)
Greenville (1-11)

MENS PLAYOFFS GAMES

Marshall Vs. Royse City.....Tues Feb 20..... 7PM @ TJC

No other games are set yet as district 15-5A still has TWO tie breaker games to play on Friday

Forney Vs. Highland Park for a 2nd place tie breaker-
MP will get the loser of this game; Texas High will get the winner.

Lucas Lovejoy Vs. West Mesquite for a 4th place tie breaker-   
SS will get the winner of this game

LADIES PLAYOFF GAMES
Sulphur Springs Vs. Frisco Lone Star.....THURSDAY.....7PM @ Rockwall
Texas High Vs. Frisco Liberty.....FRIDAY.....8PM 

Lady Mavs went 3-1-1 in the Carthage tourney.  They are 4-1-1 on the season. 

————

Mav Basketball defeated Class 3A No. 5 ranked Palestine Westwood Friday, 62-43, in a playoff warmup game. Marshall will play Royse City in the 5A bi district playoffs Tuesday at 7:30 at Tyler Junior College.

———

The Marshall Mavs football team sent several to Austin this Saturday with 5 attending the UT invite Junior Day. 

@tahj_washington (WR 2019)
@dekendrick1K (WR 2019)
@champmathis5 (SS 2019)
@jacarrion_1k (QB 2020)
@iamsxee (WR 2020)

Good stuff. Good stuff. 

Glad to see the kids rising above the circus going on to the West of here. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Lady Mavs went 3-1-1 in the Carthage tourney.  They are 4-1-1 on the season. 

————

Mav Basketball defeated Class 3A No. 5 ranked Palestine Westwood Friday, 62-43, in a playoff warmup game. Marshall will play Royse City in the 5A bi district playoffs Tuesday at 7:30 at Tyler Junior College.

———

The Marshall Mavs football team sent several to Austin this Saturday with 5 attending the UT invite Junior Day. 

@tahj_washington (WR 2019)
@dekendrick1K (WR 2019)
@champmathis5 (SS 2019)
@jacarrion_1k (QB 2020)
@iamsxee (WR 2020)

Good stuff. Good stuff. 

Glad to see the kids rising above the circus going on to the West of here. 

Awesome for that program!

Good luck to the entire district Tuesday! We all can do this! Let’s get 4 wins!!