The Smoakhouse Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mavchamp

Official 2017-2018 District 16-5A Sports Thread

8 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

In softball action:

Sulphur Springs and Hallsville have both advanced to the third round of the playoffs (region qtr finals)

SS will face Forney in a three game Series.

Hallsville will face Prosper

-------------

Sulphur Springs, Texas High, and Hallsville all advance for baseball.

------------

Marshall and Hallsville are each sending someone to the state track meet.

Triple Jump: DeTorian Hurd, Marshall, first, 46-8.75

Long jump: Cortland Centers, Hallsville, second, 22-08.75

-----------

Toss in MP's great run in soccer and SS's basketball run.... it's been a great Winter and Spring for the district.

Now we need some success in the fall.

--------

I'm trying to decide what to do about the 2018-2019 threads.  I like having all the sports for a whole school year together.

But that gets complicated starting next season because of the split divisions for football.

East Texas will have one D1 district with JT and Texas High and the Dallas schools.... and 2 DII districts with MP and all the southern I-20 schools while SS and Greenville will be headed west.  That means keeping up with 3 football districts.  Not to mention we aren't exactly flooded with SS and Greevnille fans on there.  Hmmm.

It means either having a football only thread for 9-5A DivII.... and then starting a separate thread at the end of football season..... OR making a 5A thread and combining a thread both Div I and Div II football and continuing to cover both 5A districts in the winter and spring.

TBH....I'm not sure how much interest 9-5ADII fans are going to have in the D1 district either.  Do you follow JT threads?  lol.  jjjkkkkk.

Otherwise I see a 9-5ADII thread for football (Marsh, Halls, MP, PT, WH, Nac, Lind, Jax)

And then when basketball through spring starts it will be a separate thread for 16-5A (Marsh, Halls, Jax, PT, Nac, Lufkin, JT, WH).

BUT..... it's tempting to add in 15-5A for the winter and Spring sports since East Texas will start playing each other in the first round of the playoffs again (Green, Lind, MP, Texas, MP, Royse City).

Input?

Just wondering what people would prefer..... the new thread will start when softball/baseball/track wraps up for everyone.  

Don't you mean MP's great run in soccer AND Basketball? 

Hate the district threads will be different. Really enjoyed all the stats, updates, and info you posted on a consistent basis, Mavchamp! Keep up the great work, man! 

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 8:59 AM, RoughnedOdorsRightHook said:

In the playoffs it is difficult 

Not when you don't have a great offence, and you run up against a good pitcher who's on......

1 hour ago, RoughnedOdorsRightHook said:

so basically when everything comes together for you

Basically like any shutout, be it regular season or playoffs.....just more likely when one team has a mediocre offense.

2 hours ago, OakRidgeMav said:

Basically like any shutout, be it regular season or playoffs.....just more likely when one team has a mediocre offense.

so youre saying exactly what im saying but looking for a reason to discredit hallsville

What. The. Hell?

as per Jack Stallard’s Twitter:

Hallsville vs Frisco Wakeland 5A playoff series will be home and home series, but not finalized until Tuesday. Per Hallsville's Scott Mitchell, if total score of the Rangers' game tonight is odd...he picks what day he wants to be home. Even score tonight: Wakeland picks.

8 hours ago, RoughnedOdorsRightHook said:

so youre saying exactly what im saying but looking for a reason to discredit hallsville

How do you think i’m discrediting  Hallsville??? They are without a doubt a better team than HP......you seem to think HP is better than they are this year...that’s what I take issue with.

if you look back at what was stated earlier, that’s exactly what I said.....a superior team with a good pitcher shut out a team they should have beaten.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OakRidgeMav said:

How do you think i’m discrediting  Hallsville??? They are without a doubt a better team than HP......you seem to think HP is better than they are this year...that’s what I take issue with.

if you look back at what was stated earlier, that’s exactly what I said.....a superior team with a good pitcher shut out a team they should have beaten.

yes they should have beaten them but shutting out hp is always a feat to be proud of

Mavchamp-I have said this before and I will say it again, THANKS for all the work you put in to keep us updated.  As for recommendations moving forward, any chance you could start one will all involved and then just keep the one Marshall is involved in at the time up to date and hope someone will pick up where Marshall is not involved.  Just my thoughts.  Not sure anyone can touch the job you have done and I will sure miss it once Football is over and the other sports roll around, but if done this way and some of us will pick it up, it would be nice to follow all of the 5A teams in our area.  The pay is so good, maybe you could consider doing it all.  Does that make any sense?  

5A Div I (Football Only) (Region II)
Texas High
John Tyler
Mckinney North
Mesquite Poteet
Sherman
West Mesquite
Wylie East

5A Div II (Football Only) (Region III) Focus on this one during football
Marshall
Hallsville
Pine Tree
Mount Pleasant
Jacksonville
Whitehouse
Lindale
Nacogdoches

---------------------------------------

Basketball/Baseball/Softball/Volleyball/Cross Country/Soccer

15-5A (Region II)
Greenville
Lindale
Mount Pleasant
Royce City
Sulphur Springs
Texas High

16-5A (Region II) Focus on this one during Basketball/Baseball, etc.
Marshall
John Tyler
Lufkin
Hallsville
Jacksonville
Pine Tree
Whitehouse
Nacogdoches

Thanks again for all that you do!

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 7:53 AM, RoughnedOdorsRightHook said:

yes they should have beaten them but shutting out hp is always a feat to be proud of

I'm always happy when someone beats HP..........in anything........null

• Like 1

Mav fans.... still working on the page.  Getting ready for the 2018 season.

Always looking for ideas and suggestions.

http://www.marshallmavericks.net/

Things I'm working on outside of just new designs:

1.  The top games of all time from 1902 to present day. 

2.  Top Mav teams.

3.  Statistical leaders and other important Mav players that made contributions outside of MHS.

4.  Top Maverick Memories....and heartbreaks.

Hope to have all this posted this summer sometime.

Ultimate goal:

Post the newspaper recaps for every game recorded by the MNM.  Some of them are.... entertaining to say the least from back in the day. LOL. 

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

Ultimate goal:

Post the newspaper recaps for every game recorded by the MNM.  Some of them are.... entertaining to say the least from back in the day. LOL. 

What an interesting goal.... :)

3 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

What an interesting goal.... :)

lol....yup.  Your site is a gem with all that.

I've wanted to do it forever..... ever since the late 90's when I was compiling the old 12-5A records for the old Supersite (Lee, JT, Marsh, Long, Nac, Luf).  Then I did it again in 2002 when we dropped and gained Texas High, Kilgore, PT, Hallsville, and MP.  And again when we picked up Whitehouse, Henderson, and Jacksonville in 2004.

I went back to a Marshall only page again after that.

As you know from your own experience......  it's tedious.... and I think I did it for  14 schools (12 for sure).  Not sure how much of it was even correct.

BUT...... now... thanks to the Marshall Public Library... the Marshall News Messenger is on online from 1900 to present day.  

So it will be a SLIGHTLY easier task.  Theoretically.    We shall see how long it takes to make it happen.

The pressbox at Maverick Stadium will be demolished the day after graduation (which is June 1st).

The new pressbox is suppose to be completed by Week 2 for the Longview game.

New turf- check
Video Board- check
Pressbox- check

Now it's time to work on restrooms and concessions.  (Should have been the #1 priority over the PB IMHO).
Then new bleacher/stadium seats
Improved lighting
New ticket Booths

Small peices at a time.

11 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

The pressbox at Maverick Stadium will be demolished the day after graduation (which is June 1st).

The new pressbox is suppose to be completed by Week 2 for the Longview game.

New turf- check
Video Board- check
Pressbox- check

Now it's time to work on restrooms and concessions.  (Should have been the #1 priority over the PB IMHO).
Then new bleacher/stadium seats
Improved lighting
New ticket Booths

Small peices at a time.

Idk... the PB looked ok from the field but inside was something else... it’s like someone parked 2 RVs on top of each other and put plaster over it to cover them :lol: 

i haven’t been back to the stadium in a while, but did they ever fix underneath the home side bleachers/concession area?  More specific, the pavement and drainage 

5 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

but did they ever fix underneath the home side bleachers/concession area?  More specific, the pavement and drainage 

Yes....they repaved it year before last.

• Like 1

Any T high people have any idea what's going on at the stadium? Sure looks like we are getting a turf field. If so sure going to miss the grass field. A lot of good memories playing in the mud

27 minutes ago, thstiger1997 said:

Any T high people have any idea what's going on at the stadium? Sure looks like we are getting a turf field. If so sure going to miss the grass field. A lot of good memories playing in the mud

There is an entire thread devoted to this topic in this forum titled, "I regret to inform.."

Texas High beat the Colony 8-5. Move on to next round. Waiting on the winner of Forney and Frisco Reedy.

Hallsville boys advance with 3-1 and 5-3 victories over Frisco Wakeland.

Ladycats advance with 5-4 and 6-5 victories over  Prosper.

18 minutes ago, UncleSam said:

Hallsville boys advance with 3-1 and 5-3 victories over Frisco Wakeland.

Ladycats advance with 5-4 and 6-5 victories over  Prosper.

Nice. Go Cats!

Texas High
.            vs Forney  
Game 1
Thursday, May 17
At Rockwall Heath 7:00

Game 2
Friday, May 18
At Texas High 7:00

Game 3(if necessary)
Saturday, May 19
At Rockwall Heath 3:00

College Football offers coming in so far in Marshall:

Tajh Washington (WR) (8)
Kansas
Air Force
Bowling Green
Texas State
Tulsa
University of Louisiana- Lafayette
McNeese
Arkansas- Pine Bluff
Houston Baptist

Christian Hood (OL/C)(6):
Southern Miss
Alcorn State
Northwestern State
Lamar Univeristy
Arkansas Pine Bluff
Houston Baptist

Savion Williams (WR) (3):
Bowling Green
Texas State
Southern Miss

JJ Green (QB)(3)
Nebraska
Ole Miss,
Texas State

DeKendrick Bender (WR/QB) (1):
Air Force Academy

That's 21 total offers thus far....and it's only May.  Hope there's more to come this fall.  If the season turns out as special as some are expecting..... there should be more offers to even more players coming.

Mav Spring Game is May 23rd.

http://www.marshallmavericks.net/