Longview Lobos Football 2017

Longview also gets everyones best game. Its circled on their calander. You take, Lufkin, JT, Lee, Marshall and now all the Dallas schools. You have to respect the fact that no matter where they go play, they fill the stadiums. Thats called respect. Love em or hate em, King and his teams over the years play hard, and get results.

Sorry to hear about your lip. Now, what are you just saying? Could you do a better job than King has done at Longview?

Yeah, it HURTS. Probably. Who knows. What the hell does whether I could or couldn't do a better job than John King has to do with me or anyone else for that matter critiquing a coach as if he's above being critiqued!?

All I have ever said is that I don't EVER in my lifetime think that John King will bring Longview a state title in football. I PERSONALLY DO NOT BELIEVE HE CAN DO IT. PERIOD. If I had an opportunity to go get Scott Surratt as an upgrade, you better believe I would do it in a heartbeat.

Now, with that being said, I don't believe that there are that many more coaches in the state that could do a better job. It's a damn tough job at that. But, it takes a special kind of coach to bring Longview High a football title especially given this day and age with the rapid growth of the D/FW, Houston and Austin areas.

But, there are coaches​ CURRENTLY out there both known and unknown whom I truly believe that can get this Longview Lobo program over that proverbial hump. So, I guess I am wrong for wanting what every other school in my area seems to be achieving?

Without a lock down defense, Longview may never win a title in 6A. My reason for saying this is elementary, slow methodical but reasonably effective offensive,against five wide airshows that tend to score astronomical numbers. Lobos always gonna need fanatical type defense to run Kings ground pounding style of offense. Last year's final game was case in point, that team pretty much couldn't stop Longview but Longview couldn't score fast enough and ran out of time. The day lv hires a true defensive guru as DC and coach King lets him have the players... That's the day teams better set up and pay attention, cause then Lobos get over that mythical hump. That's all I have to say about that

Without a lock down defense, Longview may never win a title in 6A. My reason for saying this is elementary, slow methodical but reasonably effective offensive,against five wide airshows that tend to score astronomical numbers. Lobos always gonna need fanatical type defense to run Kings ground pounding style of offense. Last year's final game was case in point, that team pretty much couldn't stop Longview but Longview couldn't score fast enough and ran out of time. The day lv hires a true defensive guru as DC and coach King lets him have the players... That's the day teams better set up and pay attention, cause then Lobos get over that mythical hump. That's all I have to say about that

From the sound of the 7on7 reports, you may have that this season. But I agree with 1 thing. Longview needs to have a package where they can line up 4-5 wide at some point to sling it and score quickly. It's just the nature of the game now. If you can't match up defensively, you have to be able to match up offensively to take some chances jumping a route or 2 on defense. Longview has the speed and talent to line up and do that. What they have not had are the formations to expose some defenders

I have your beer tab already paid, Sir!

• Like 1

Couldn't score fast enough? Weren't we up like 33-20? If anything, our running game couldn't run out the clock for us, not our passing game failing to "keep pace" with them. Further, I think turnovers have cost us a LOT in the playoffs. Think the Consol game or especially the Westlake game. Lufkin in 2004 as well. Even fumbled late against Westbrook to give them a chance to win it.

More than defense, I feel like special teams have cost us FAR more than our defense have in big games in the playoffs.

In 2003, we lost to South Garland in OT, could've won the game with a FG (although that was a tough freaking FG in defense of the kicker).

In 2005, we lost 14-13 to SG again, missing a chip shot FG. Wind or not, you have to make that.

In 2006, we lost 24-21 to Garland, having a FG attempt blocked late.

In 2009, we lost to LT, fumbling a kickoff and I'm sure messing up another special teams play somewhere in there.

In 2010, we had a punt blocked that would've won the game if it went anywhere other than backwards.

In 2014, we lost to Lake Ridge, missing a FG late.

In 2015, we lost to Lake Ridge, missing a FG late.

In 2016, we lost to Westbrook, missing a FG late.

If I had an opportunity to go get Scott Surratt as an upgrade, you better believe I would do it in a heartbeat.

But, there are coaches​ CURRENTLY out there both known and unknown whom I truly believe that can get this Longview Lobo program over that proverbial hump. So, I guess I am wrong for wanting what every other school in my area seems to be achieving?

Really? Who's your realistic Top 5? I mean realistic as in who would conceivably come to Longview.

But I agree with 1 thing. Longview needs to have a package where they can line up 4-5 wide at some point to sling it and score quickly.

We should have that opportunity for the next three years. ;)

Really? Who's your realistic Top 5? I mean realistic as in who would conceivably come to Longview.

I know who ain't coming to Longview.

Surratt.

Anyone that thinks it's a possibility is smoking some good stuff. Like the stuff they sell under the High Street bridge.

• Like 2

Surratt.

Anyone that thinks it's a possibility is smoking some good stuff. Like the stuff they sell under the High Street bridge.

Exactly! Tell em Mav. He's not going to Longview. He's heading south to the real L-town. Lufkin!

Exactly! Tell em Mav. He's not going to Longview. He's heading south to the real L-town. Lufkin!

It appears that LP is content with the mediocrity that is Coach Quick. LP fans have every right to complain, not Longview fans at all. LP deserves much better than Quick. Mathis to Marshall was awesome but to see someone like him go to Lufkin would have been even better IMO.

• Like 1

The whole "Surratt > King because of rings" argument is dumb. I respect Surratt for what he's done in his own classification but 6A/5A is a whole different animal.

Same here. Mad props to what he's done in Carthage. Surratt is easily one of the best in the State, but competing with the kind of talent/systems/resources found in 3A/4A communities is a whole different world than 5A/6A-sized towns.

It appears that LP is content with the mediocrity that is Coach Quick. LP fans have every right to complain, not Longview fans at all. LP deserves much better than Quick. Mathis to Marshall was awesome but to see someone like him go to Lufkin would have been even better IMO.

Yep, I couldn't imagine what Lv fans like Quick and FF would be saying if they had to deal with coach Quick for the last five years lol. I'm not saying he's a bad guy, just can't fix the problems on defense. We obviously need a change at the top. I'm not sure that you can say the same for LV. King has proven that he's a very good coach and a good fit for the lobos.

I have a hard time seeing Surratt leaving Carthage for any gig. Not even college. I'll be shocked if he doesn't finish his career there.

Surratt.

You talked to Surratt??? You really mean, "I HOPE SURRATT DOESN'T COME TO LONGVIEW".

I have a hard time seeing Surratt leaving Carthage for any gig. Not even college. I'll be shocked if he doesn't finish his career there.

This.

There is absolutely NOTHING another ISD in Texas can offer him that he doesn't already have or can't get from Carthage.

Particularly the prospect of more rings.

You talked to Surratt??? You really mean, "I HOPE SURRATT DOESN'T COME TO LONGVIEW".

Keep dreaming.

Of course, my number one choice is, Surratt. I know the rest of East Texas would secretly hate for that to come to fruition but, as the old saying goes, "Money Talks and you know what else walks".

And, honestly I have no idea per the reason I specified known and unknown. We had the legendary D.W.Rutledge from Converse apply at Longview back when Pat Collins was selected. We also had the legendary coach out of La Marque,Texas also apply at the same time BEFORE they pulled their names out of the hat.

Don't believe me??? Go look it up. It's in the 2000 Longview News-Journal. Y'all trip me out though. Y'all praise John King and put him on such a high pedestal but state that no high profile coach would come to Longview as if we have some BS 3rd world facilities and athletes.

No one was more shocked than most Mav fans.

I had accepted the fact that Peaster from Parkway was likely coming.

But a combination of MISD stepping up their game (big pay boost), being a 1 HS Town, and maybe some kind words from Coach King made it happen.

Glad they did.

Total culture change in just a few months and exploding numbers. They are preparing for 170+ this fall. Stealing back a few transfers we've lost too.

As for Longview ....... I've said it once. I'll say it again.

Some Lobo fans better be careful what they wish for. Coaching changes don't always have great outcomes. There is a cliff you can fall off of..... into an abyss.

It's not fun. And it takes years to recover.

If you are weary of 9-2 and 8-3 seasons...... I wonder how a few 4-6 or 3-7 seasons would feel.

It can happen to anyone.

Including Longview.

Might should be grateful for what you have. He's a proven winner.

• Like 1

Yep, I couldn't imagine what Lv fans like Quick and FF would be saying if they had to deal with coach Quick for the last five years lol. I'm not saying he's a bad guy, just can't fix the problems on defense. We obviously need a change at the top. I'm not sure that you can say the same for LV. King has proven that he's a very good coach and a good fit for the lobos.

Every HC specializes in something. King is an offensive guy, Quick is defensive.

Anytime the area that a HC specializes in looks bad, ie Lufkin's defense, and not enough wins is being produced...that guy needs to be fired. Quick has Lufkin people believing that there isn't talent in Lufkin anymore...when in fact there's plenty of talent and zero coaching. Quick should have been gone a while ago.

• Like 1