Stoney's Bandwagon, Kneejerk Fix For The 2017 Rangers

Stoney

As of June 1st the Rangers are in 3rd place in the West with a 26-28 record, 12 games back of 1st. With a payroll of $176m. My suggestions on fixing the team for this year and the next may seem crazy, maybe anti Ranger and may cause questions of Rangers fanship to be brought into question. Anyhow.

1. The Rangers need to be sellers at and before the trade deadline. JD'e hands are tied financially and we need to loosen the purse strings while getting a younger core in place. Here's how we are gonna do that.

2. Trade Lucroy. We are looking for pitching and to help cut salary. It's better to get something now than for him to walk and not get anything. This point will be brought up later.

3. Trade Cole Hamels. But Stoney he has a multi year deal? True. He's also older, expensive and the numbers are starting to trend downwards from an Ace level.

4. This one may get me banned from Arlington and SDC. Trade Yu Darvish. Your either gonna have to sign him to a big contract or have him walk. How much are you gonna pay for a #2 starter. Stoney you smoke breakfast? Darvish is a ace not a #2. Take the love for Darvish out of it and look at the numbers and results. He's not a everyday ace. He has the talent to be but the inconsistencies keep him from it.

5. So your master plan is to trade Lucroy, Hamels and Darvish? Are you crazy? Maybe but I haven't touched the Rangers young nucleus of Andrus, Gallo, Odor and Mazara.

6. We could use a infusion of young arms. Give me a Kopech to build a staff around instead of a Nick Martinez. For whatever reason we have a influx of AAAA starters but we can't find or groom a ace or a #2.

7. Send Sam Dyson down to Round Rock. He's off with the sinker and with the mental aspect of the game. It's not good for him to keep being out in situations that he's unable to succeed in right now.

8. Joey Gallo for strikeout, walk or homer is your new everyday LF. Barring something happening to Beltre or Napoli. I'll take a .200/35/95 guy in this lineup if they can out guys around him who can hit and get on base.

9. Do away with the closer. Unless we are getting a Wetteland, don't keep naming these one year guys closer. Tolleson. Dyson. It's a jinx.

Good in theory.....but you are not going to get a "haul" for Darvish & Lucroy. You will get a good prospect, but they are about to be free agents. Nobody is going to give a big package for a temporary rent. IMO Hamels is way overpriced and you are stuck. Good pitcher, but on the decline.

I know you don't value an opinion of an Astros fan, but the Rangers have been throwing $ and dealing prospects for the last 3-4 years....and maybe that was the right thing to do when you are on the edge of winning it all......But the bill is about to come due.

• Like 2

^ Thats exactly it. There's only two ways to be successful in sports. You either gotta be dog baby awful or you gotta be the dominant force. The middle is the quicksand. I don't think it has to be a drastic tear down of the team. You kinda know what your foundation is. You have the looks of a good solid corp lineup at some places. It doesn't no good to cover it with a $5 tarp from Family Dollar. That's been the issue with the pitching. For whatever reason, we can have the #1 farm system but if your best pitching prospects are AAAA guys and not reliable MLB starters you got problems. You have to over pay for a Hamels. You have to open the bank for Darvish. That's how you stay in the middle. Your not improving, your status quoing.

There's only two ways to be successful in sports. You either gotta be dog baby awful or you gotta be the dominant force. The middle is the quicksand.

You nailed it. My team got in the quicksand after the Biggio & Bagwell years and it took a total dismantling 5 years to recover. The Astros as a franchise can't match payroll with NY, Boston, LA, or even Texas for that matter. For us the dog days were the only way.

Ed Wade had left y'all in such a bad spot talent wise you had to commit to the long rebuild. You can't restock a farm system in one draft or two. Luhnow did and you have a core of Altuve, Springer, Correa and Bregman that lets you bring in a Beltran. A McCann. You add the maturation of Kuechel into a Ace. A young stud in McCullers. You have the flexibility of a at short a 3-5 year window, possible longer due the youth and ability to keep those guys.

The Rangers don't have to add bats. Any deals for Lucroy, Hamels and Darvish have to bring in arms. JD has a knack for finding a Neal Cotts. Colby Lewis. Andrew Cashner. He has to because for every Martin Perez we have a Nick Martinez and Chi Chi Gonzalez.

The Rangers don't have to add bats. Any deals for Lucroy, Hamels and Darvish have to bring in arms. JD has a knack for finding a Neal Cotts. Colby Lewis. Andrew Cashner. He has to because for every Martin Perez we have a Nick Martinez and Chi Chi Gonzalez.

Not arguing, but I'm not sure I agree with you on the bats. You guys are fanning at a record rate and that would be alarming to me. My team tried to ignore that until it became like a 10 pound wart on our face that we couldn't ignore anymore.

And I'm not near as sold on Cashner as I think you are.

• Like 1

The approach at the plate needs to tighten up. I absolutely agree on that. With what they do have in the farm system like Ronald Guzman who could take Napoli's slot at 1B, I can't see targeting a prospect like that over pitching.

I'm waiting on the bottom to fall out on Cashner. He hasn't shown that consistency in 2 plus years. I'm beyond amazed. That he has pitched like he has is incredible. I'd still rather have a young starter.

Drain the swamp Stoney, drain it. lol. Seriously, I don't have much of a opinion on the matter other then look at the Astros. They must have done something right while being at the bottom. Take notes Rangers.

• Like 1

I will suggest there is another factor here. The Astros attendance is just now coming back. It is going to be an awkward situation building a new stadium in the middle of a rebuild. A lot of our "so-called" fans vowed never to back them again.......eventhough now they are jumping back on. The new stadium will add a strange twist to the situation. It is going to be hard to build excitement during a tear-down.