Week One: Lufkin at Longview

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (0-0) vs Lufkin Panthers (0-0)  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Lufkin in a close one
    • Lufkin in a blow out

All of our Lufkin fans have disappeared....

Uhhhh...I'm still here.

Yeah I remember the year that they unveiled the whole "slap a lobo" thing. It culminated with us coming back from 20-7 down in the last quarter to win in 3OTs.

Still living in the past I see....

A cool 25 days away from kickoff.

5 days until 1st practice. Its going to amp up quick once the pads go on next week.

Im taking Longview in the opener, just because of the home field, and that crazy Lobo crowd.

Not to mention the Bos dont lose at home.

As you know Lufkin will bring it as they always do, and could get crazy in the 4th. Cant go against LV at home ever.

Give me Longview by 14.

Difference being the inexperience at QB for Lufkin vs the experienced (and promising) Longview D.

To add on to this, I think these 3 matchups will ultimately result in a Longview win.

Lufkin QB play vs experienced and promising Longview D - Will Lufkin start Thomas, Odom or McDuffie? Either way there hasn't really been much optimism from Lufkin fans at the QB position. Meanwhile, Longview's D has been bringing it all off-season. Now Lufkin does have a talented group of WR's as usual in Jackson/Garcia/Polk but someone will have to get them the ball. I give the edge to the Longview D over Thomas/Odom/McDuffie.

Chris Kessler vs the Lufkin special teams - What is a Longview/Lufkin matchup without a big special teams play from Lufkin? Seems like Lufkin always gets a big kick or punt return in the matchup reulting in either good field position or score. But I'm not sure how much returning there will be in this game. Longview kicker/punter Kessler booted 70% of his kicks for touchbacks in 2016. He has a leg and could effect Lufkin's field position often.

JR RB Jessie Anderson vs the Lufkin D - What's the best way to keep a potential high powered offense off the field? Running the ball. And the 5'11 222 pound bull Anderson may be the best kept secret in the pines. Also, Lufkin has historically struggled to maintain Longview's running attack. Just looking at the past 3 meetings, Tylan Miller went off for 165 game 1 in 2015, Braylynn Anthony went off for 160 game 2 in 2015, Ken White went off for 206 last season. It has just been a matchup problem for LP and Anderson is no joke. Although I do think Longview's passing attack will be pretty good, I don't think it'll hit stride until we get a sole starter at QB. So I expect to see a dose of Anderson early.

Of course we still haven't started 2 a days and there hasn't been any scrimmages yet but for now, Longview by 14.

• Like 1

At Marshall? Lol I doubt that... We've silenced that demon very thoroughly by beating them by 50 last year. It was one of the few games vs Marshall that wasn't actually close.

Previous to 2011, sure games were closer.

But we've only had two games in the past 6 seasons that Longview hasn't won by 30+ points.

To me, if there's a QB battle between a younger QB and an older QB....and there is no huge separation, then it's a no brainer. You start the younger QB.

Both Longview and Lufkin should start their sophomore QB's if they really wanted to get the best out of their programs the next few years. That means Tre Odom for Lufkin and Haynes King for Longview.

Starting senior QB's every year who didn't start the year before is not smart.

Thomas is a junior. I wouldn't have a problem with either player starting honestly. Odom is very talented, but Thomas has the size and arm. We'll see I guess..

It's a uneducated guess/ choosing closet team to ol daingerfield. Longview has always been my e tx big school I go for. But I don't know anything about the teams this year. Our first game is on Thursday so I wanted to find the best game I can make on Friday. Reason why I was wondering rankings state wide