Places you liked to eat at that are no longer in business.

DaveTV1

On 6/16/2017 at 6:41 PM, DaveTV1 said:

I'm limiting this to what I remember in East Texas :

Pancho's, El Chico, Monterrey House - I loved the goat's milk candy at the bottom of the chips,

One place I truly miss that wasn't a place to eat at was South Green Miniature Golf Course. It blew every Putt Putt Golf out of the water.

Monterrey House - I think you are talking about the brown square caramel candy? I remember going there as a kid. I think it was where Cotton Patch is now. There seem to still be some locations down south if you search for it.

El Chico's on 80 - I seem to remember them having a real long plant / water thing in their back room. I was a kid, so maybe it wasn't big  at all. I guess the room was for large parties.

South Green Mini Golf - did this one have a swirling electronic contraption on the last hole? This may be the one I went to that wasn't Putt Putt - not sure how many Longview would have had in the late 80's/early 90's.

Does anyone remember the Gilmer Mexican restaurants Casa Manana or Los Dos? They were in the Old Town Mall, which was torn down and an apartment complex was built - across from the fire department. I have wondered if either of these restaurant owners continued in the business afterwards.

Back in the late 70's there was a hole in the wall restaurant at  the south end of the Beckham street overpass in Tyler called "Bruce's". It was the home of the Chili Whomper Stomper. A  massive triple decked burger covered with chili.

7 hours ago, tdl797 said:

Monterrey House - I think you are talking about the brown square caramel candy? I remember going there as a kid. I think it was where Cotton Patch is now. There seem to still be some locations down south if you search for it.

El Chico's on 80 - I seem to remember them having a real long plant / water thing in their back room. I was a kid, so maybe it wasn't big  at all. I guess the room was for large parties.

South Green Mini Golf - did this one have a swirling electronic contraption on the last hole? This may be the one I went to that wasn't Putt Putt - not sure how many Longview would have had in the late 80's/early 90's.

Does anyone remember the Gilmer Mexican restaurants Casa Manana or Los Dos? They were in the Old Town Mall, which was torn down and an apartment complex was built - across from the fire department. I have wondered if either of these restaurant owners continued in the business afterwards.

Monterrey House was on 80, and later became a Lupe's until it shutdown.  Yes the El Chico did have the water fountain up front with the horse, and the big one in the back.  It's torn down now.  The last hole didn't have a wagon wheel it was the  5th hole, and the 12th had a windmill until they tore it down.  It was great.  I never ate a Mexican place in Gilmer, even La Finca.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2018 at 7:19 PM, DaveTV1 said:

Monterrey House was on 80, and later became a Lupe's until it shutdown.  Yes the El Chico did have the water fountain up front with the horse, and the big one in the back.  It's torn down now.  The last hole didn't have a wagon wheel it was the  5th hole, and the 12th had a windmill until they tore it down.  It was great.  I never ate a Mexican place in Gilmer, even La Finca.  

I’m old enough to remember when LaFinca was right across from the feed store. Small little place. Then they built the one a little further down the road. Finally, built the new one couple years back. It’s fru fru Tex-Mex Dave. You walk in and it’s like a high dollar steakhouse. If you want good Mexican food, head out to my old stomping grounds in Rhonesboro. The original Tele’s is still making good food. Decent price and lots of it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2018 at 7:19 PM, DaveTV1 said:

Monterrey House was on  80? Then what was where Cotton Patch is now before that existed?
All the Lupe's are gone now. We didn't eat there much over the years until they had an enchilada special that they heavily advertised in the Longview paper.
Gonzalo's is no more. It was there a long time. My family didn't eat there much.
Casa Ole on Spur is either closed for renovations or permanently closed.
So what is the longest running Mexican restaurant in Longview - Carlito's, Casa Ole on the Loop or Papacita's?

7 hours ago, tdl797 said:

Monterrey House was on  80? Then what was where Cotton Patch is now before that existed?
All the Lupe's are gone now. We didn't eat there much over the years until they had an enchilada special that they heavily advertised in the Longview paper.
Gonzalo's is no more. It was there a long time. My family didn't eat there much.
Casa Ole on Spur is either closed for renovations or permanently closed.
So what is the longest running Mexican restaurant in Longview - Carlito's, Casa Ole on the Loop or Papacita's?

I thought the Cotton Patch was on McCann up where the old Pizza Inn and McCann St. Grill used to be.  I loved Gonzalo's and hated hearing it shut down.  They had great chicken enchiladas.  I'd have to go with Casa Ole.  It was there before they built the shopping center that Carlito's is in.  I remember the Video Zone across the parking lot from it and Jim's Trim second location.  The original was at Pine Tree and 80.  Rodney Carrington's dad owned it.  

• 3 months later...

One of the best places to eat at in Marshall back in the day was the Gables Restaurant they had a very good chicken fried steak and good atmosphere. I guess it was a family owned and got put out of business by all the chain restaurants  

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/27/2018 at 11:52 AM, KirtFalcon said:

Back in the 60s and 70s we used to make reservations and drive to Longview to eat at Johnny Cace's a couple of times a year ... it was the place to go for "fine food" ....

That strip of US80 in front of the old Johnny Cace’s is where pimps, hookers, crack heads & the homeless are found.🙄

11 hours ago, CarthDawg77 said:

That strip of US80 in front of the old Johnny Cace’s is where pimps, hookers, crack heads & the homeless are found.🙄

That strip was all the way down to Sunset Motel at Gilmer and Marshall.  I forgot the name of the one place that was near between a used car dealership and what was said to be a devil worshipers house was big too.  I heard that in the 60's that the Globetrotter Motel at Alpine and 80 was nice in the 60's, but I've heard they've threatened to shut that place down several times.  One of my drivers that worked for me at Domino's that was at S. Mobberly near the Bodacious Barbecue  was a cab driver during the day, and he had some stories to tell.  Last year when I went to Longview for my 30th class reunion I wanted to eat there and they were closed at 6 pm.  What kind of place closes that early on a Friday night ????   

22 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

That strip was all the way down to Sunset Motel at Gilmer and Marshall.  I forgot the name of the one place that was near between a used car dealership and what was said to be a devil worshipers house was big too.  I heard that in the 60's that the Globetrotter Motel at Alpine and 80 was nice in the 60's, but I've heard they've threatened to shut that place down several times.  One of my drivers that worked for me at Domino's that was at S. Mobberly near the Bodacious Barbecue  was a cab driver during the day, and he had some stories to tell.  Last year when I went to Longview for my 30th class reunion I wanted to eat there and they were closed at 6 pm.  What kind of place closes that early on a Friday night ????   

Hey now ... Pizza King is just down the road! ...

23 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

Hey now ... Pizza King is just down the road! ...

I've never eaten at that place.  I've seen photos of the pizzas and they don't look tempting at all.  If I didn't already mention them, I still miss Shakey's and Pizza Inn.  I forgot the name of the pizza place in the mall, but they were pretty good.  I know his son opened up a sandwich shop in the Broadway Square Mall, but I could make a better sandwich than him.  

23 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

I've never eaten at that place.  I've seen photos of the pizzas and they don't look tempting at all.  If I didn't already mention them, I still miss Shakey's and Pizza Inn.  I forgot the name of the pizza place in the mall, but they were pretty good.  I know his son opened up a sandwich shop in the Broadway Square Mall, but I could make a better sandwich than him.  

Their pizza beat Pizza Inn hands down ... Another pizza place that was better than both of them was Little Italy in Nacogdoches and surrounding area towns, their pizza was really good ... I don't know when they went out of business ...

40 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

Their pizza beat Pizza Inn hands down ... Another pizza place that was better than both of them was Little Italy in Nacogdoches and surrounding area towns, their pizza was really good ... I don't know when they went out of business ...

I still go to the Pizza Inn here in Houston, but it's just a delco.  I also liked Godfather's that was on the Loop and Gilmer Rd. in the Tom Thumb Page shopping center.  Even the Von Erich's liked Pizza Inn :  

• 2 months later...
On 9/22/2017 at 5:28 PM, KirtFalcon said:

I ate at a Western Sizzlin in McAlester, Oklahoma yesterday ... got two helpins of fried chicken livers ....

o.jpg

Use to be the place to eat after Church before it became a buffet