Picture Uploads

Stoney

I don't ever upload directly to the site... you can use imgur or some other 3rd party host to post the picture there and make private then use img around the direct link to the picture.

Now how do you know it's the right link? It's because at the end of it, it will always end with .jpg, .img, .gif, .wav (.wav is a music file) etc

• Like 2

I'm a technological caveman. If I try to upload pictures from my phone to the site they turn crooked when posted. What simple or easy fix am I just too dumb to figure out?

Careful, don't ask questions you don't really want the answers to; these youngsters are brutal!🙀😜
  • Like 2

UPLOADING IMAGES TO SMOAKY ON A COMPUTER

Step 1. Find a DIRECT LINK to an image from a website (like Mav said, it MUST end with .jpg (animated pictures will always be .gif files). If you have a photo on your phone, you can upload it to a free hosting site like imgur.com

Step 2. On the toolbar, click the IMAGE button. Copy/paste the the direct link (ending in .jpg) into IMAGE PROPERTIES. Click OK.

UPLOADING IMAGES TO SMOAKY USING MOBILE

Step 1. Find a DIRECT LINK to an image from a website (like Mav said, it MUST end with .jpg (animated pictures will always be .gif files). If you have a photo on your phone, you can upload it to a free hosting site like imgur.com

Step 2. Copy/paste the the direct link (ending in .jpg) in between a BB CODE. For example: [img ]http:www.imgur.com/MatthiasNakedPhoto.jpg[/img ]

IMPORTANT!!!

Like Mav said, if your link does not end with a file extension (.jpg or .png or .bmp or .gif) your image will NOT appear. You'll get something like this:

brokenlink.jpg

UPLOADING IMAGES TO SMOAKY ON A COMPUTER

Step 2. On the toolbar, click the IMAGE button. Copy/paste the the direct link (ending in .jpg) into IMAGE PROPERTIES. Click OK.

UPLOADING IMAGES TO SMOAKY USING MOBILE

Step 2. Copy/paste the the direct link (ending in .jpg) in between a BB CODE. For example: [img ]http:www.imgur.com/MatthiasNakedPhoto.jpg[/img ]

IMPORTANT!!!

Like Mav said, if your link does not end with a file extension (.jpg or .png or .bmp or .gif) your image will NOT appear. You'll get something like this:

brokenlink.jpg

Does the same thing apply to a Mac?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a technological caveman. If I try to upload pictures from my phone to the site they turn crooked when posted. What simple or easy fix am I just too dumb to figure out?

There ain't one thing about these Dadgum computers that's simple or easy. And as CarthDawg alluded to, probably the hardest thing is for these folks who do know how to do things, to explain it to those of us who had to change typewriter ribbons, or as in my case, first communicated by drawing pictures of aliens on cave walls with charcoal. Honestly, I had this iPad a year before I realized I could have multiple screens up. Didn't I just feel like the biggest idiot.

Please one of you binary code wizards help me with this:

When everyone else puts something on from YouTube, it comes up with the picture.

When I copy and paste, I get this, https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5XQHOCYbP14. How do I get the picture to come up?

Remember, I'm using an iPad, and don't know poo (except how mad/frustrated/aggravated I get).

Oh, one other quick question, this "imgur" (for pics), is there an App for that, and is it simple enough for even me to do it?

Here's the pattern I have observed on that.......If you use a phone or tablet, the link comes up......if you use a laptop or desktop, the screen comes up.....

How many times I told ya WH1, these Dadgum computers don't like me. Never have, never will. Had my DNA checked. Dr said it showed my brain wasn't just 0 & 1, but I had a few 2 & 3. Then he started talking about minus numbers and I ran out the door.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation.

You're inadvertently copying the mobile site link. You can tell because it has an "m." before the "youtube.com" link.

All you gotta do is replace the "m." with "www." and it should show the video link correctly.

So instead of https:// m. youtube.com/watch?v=5XQHOCYbP14 it should be https:// www. youtube.com/watch?v=5XQHOCYbP14

• Like 1

Please one of you binary code wizards help me with this:

When everyone else puts something on from YouTube, it comes up with the picture.

When I copy and paste, I get this, https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5XQHOCYbP14. How do I get the picture to come up?

Remember, I'm using an iPad, and don't know poo (except how mad/frustrated/aggravated I get).

Oh, one other quick question, this "imgur" (for pics), is there an App for that, and is it simple enough for even me to do it?

When I post a youtube video from my laptop all I do is copy the url at the top of the screen and paste it into the post and it always shows the image of the video ...

When I post a youtube video from my laptop all I do is copy the url at the top of the screen and paste it into the post and it always shows the image of the video ...

Yeah, it usually works fine from computers, but tablets and phones use a different type of link.

Yeah, it usually works fine from computers, but tablets and phones use a different type of link.

IT people have always had it made. They epitomize the old saying, In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

• Like 2

And I'll counter with a Tru storie: Had to learn 3 (at least) different computer systems. They'd put us in a room full of computers, with the new system, and "test data" so we could practice doing different things - Always with these last words, "Practice. Do anything you want. You can't hurt anything". I locked them all up in the first 30 minutes.

• Like 2

And I'll counter with a Tru storie: Had to learn 3 (at least) different computer systems. They'd put us in a room full of computers, with the new system, and "test data" so we could practice doing different things - Always with these last words, "Practice. Do anything you want. You can't hurt anything". I locked them all up in the first 30 minutes.

I admire your ability to be the salt & sand in the gears of technology, REB!
  • Like 1