Could Tyler Lee HS be facing a name change?

BigRedFan

Interesting.....

They want to change the name of REL because of Lee's involvement in the Confederate army.

However nothing is noted about John Tyler, who was a member of the Confederate congress and supported the right to own slaves.

Is this oversight or lack of historical knowledge on the part of those petitioning?

• Like 1

Interesting.....

They want to change the name of REL because of Lee's involvement in the Confederate army.

However nothing is noted about John Tyler, who was a member of the Confederate congress and supported the right to own slaves.

Is this oversight or lack of historical knowledge on the part of those petitioning?

Knee jerk oversight. People need to get their history straight before getting into this.

Knee jerk oversight. People need to get their history straight before getting into this.

Kind of what I thought.

If they had done their homework....they would have known both would need to be changed IF they are going to demand one of them be changed.

Now that both are minority majority schools....I'm interested to know what current/recent alumni think about this.

Crazy we are having this conversation in 2017 when you think about REL dropping the "Rebel" moniker in the early 70's for Raider.

I don't consider it "rewriting" history. What occurred during the years of the civil war will always be in the record and history books. I'm pretty sure kids and adults will still be able to read about it in the schools and libraries. Heck, all you have to do now is pull out your phone and google it. So, it's not "rewriting" history. REL didn't accomplish anything and he was a traitor. He doesn't deserve to have any monuments and schools or buildings named after him. People were wrong for doing it in the first place. The old south is dead. The monuments, statues, schools and etc. that give credit to it and present those so-called leaders like they were heroes or greats that accomplished something special should be taken down and destroyed if possible. They lost. They were traitors that went against their country. It's time to move on from them. Period (waits for 77 to run in here complaining about my post again). Not angry, I'm typing the truth. A truth you don't want to see or hear.

I don't consider it "rewriting" history. What occurred during the years of the civil war will always be in the record and history books. I'm pretty sure kids and adults will still be able to read about it in the schools and libraries. Heck, all you have to do now is pull out your phone and google it. So, it's not "rewriting" history. REL didn't accomplish anything and he was a traitor. He doesn't deserve to have any monuments and schools or buildings named after him. People were wrong for doing it in the first place. The old south is dead. The monuments, statues, schools and etc. that give credit to it and present those so-called leaders like they we're heroes or greats that accomplished something special should be taken down and destroyed if possible. They lost. They were traitors that went against their country. It's time to move on from them. Period (waits for 77 to run in here complaining about my post again). Not angry, I'm typing the truth. A truth you don't want to see or hear.

Nah... but if you really believe the Old South is dead, you ought to visit Sabine Parish, Louisiana sometime... They haven't changed in 150 years down there!😏

All of a sudden, now, people are offended by Robert E. Lee HS?

No... it's just easier than ever for outsiders from anywhere in the world to have influence with online petitions and viral social media posts. A select few keyboard crusaders are trying to erase any symbols from the Confederacy, but the majority of Tylerites and East Texans who aren't on Twitter and Facebook would be annoyed at this.

All of a sudden, now, people are offended by Robert E. Lee HS?

No... it's just easier than ever for outsiders from anywhere in the world to have influence with online petitions and viral social media posts. A select few keyboard crusaders are trying to erase any symbols from the Confederacy, but the majority of Tylerites and East Texans who aren't on Twitter and Facebook would be annoyed at this.

I Agree.

That's why I'm interested in what actual current students and alumni think about it.

If they don't have a problem with it....then what's the problem?

Because....TBH.... whose business is it anyway besides current students and alumni?

If they change the name of Lee, they should rename the city of Tyler. Why are people just now getting offended by this?

I think it's always been offensive.

Only difference is now there is action being taken place.

• Like 1

Nah... but if you really believe the Old South is dead, you ought to visit Sabine Parish, Louisiana sometime... They haven't changed in 150 years down there!😏

I don't visit that state anymore and I'm better for it for obvious reasons.

The next thing you know crazies will be clamoring for changing all the MLK or other minority monuments ... this is so crazy ...

You can't change history ...

What history are they changing again?

Gregg Country was named after a Confederate leader too. Going to change that name too? When will the nonsense end?

South Africa and Australia have reverted in some cases renaming some of their cities back to the indigenous names. In doing so they rekindled some of the past disdain.

People get caught thinking that this is unique to the US sometimes when in fact it is not. It is a global issue.

So we are removing names based on morals? Where do you stop and upon which morals are you basing it on?. What about adultery? Should any one who committed that have streets and monuments in there honor? Should they have a federal holiday celebrated in their honor? It's a deep rabbit hole to go down. If we can't celebrate treason or sedation, or as some folks say "no second place trophies" should be tear down the Vietnam Wall? Iraq? Afghanistan?