Could Tyler Lee HS be facing a name change?

BigRedFan

Gregg Country was named after a Confederate leader too. Going to change that name too? When will the nonsense end?

South Africa and Australia have reverted in some cases renaming some of their cities back to the indigenous names. In doing so they rekindled some of the past disdain.

You just explained why things should change then. If it's non sense, why is "past disdain" coming back just for the renaming of something...?

I have no say in it, as I did not go to Lee or any of the Tyler ISD schools. It's their choice. But REL High School is rich in confederate history. From previously being the Robert E Lee Rebels, to having Dixie as their fight song at one point and even as far as running around the football stadium with confederate uniforms with the "confederate flag."

They made the changes in the 70s to get rid of it...I don't understand why they didn't change the name then either.

If they change the name of Lee, they should rename the city of Tyler. Why are people just now getting offended by this?

"Just now."

lol this has been going on for years. Stop saying it's just now.

I'm not offended by it but I'm almost as white as can be. It's not my place to be offended by it. I did always wonder why we were celebrating a man who committed treason against our country, however.

• Like 1

"Just now."

lol this has been going on for years. Stop saying it's just now.

I'm not offended by it but I'm almost as white as can be. It's not my place to be offended by it. I did always wonder why we were celebrating a man who committed treason against our country, however.

It is just now.

I don't consider it "rewriting" history. What occurred during the years of the civil war will always be in the record and history books. I'm pretty sure kids and adults will still be able to read about it in the schools and libraries. Heck, all you have to do now is pull out your phone and google it. So, it's not "rewriting" history. REL didn't accomplish anything and he was a traitor. He doesn't deserve to have any monuments and schools or buildings named after him. People were wrong for doing it in the first place. The old south is dead. The monuments, statues, schools and etc. that give credit to it and present those so-called leaders like they were heroes or greats that accomplished something special should be taken down and destroyed if possible. They lost. They were traitors that went against their country. It's time to move on from them. Period (waits for 77 to run in here complaining about my post again). Not angry, I'm typing the truth. A truth you don't want to see or hear.

Serious question Pack, should they rename John Tyler High School? I think if they change Lee then they gotta change JT too. I get the history behind Robert E Lee but I'm curious as to why JT isn't being challenged to change their name as well.

(And maybe they are. I don't live in Tyler anymore so I'm not caught up with everything.)

If it's always been offensive, why is it just now coming up?

Are you like 6 years old or something?

This is not "just now coming up". It's always been topic of discussion.

Only difference is actions are being taken place. Not hard to understand at all.

IMO the mistake was made in the beginning when we decided to celebrate the confederacy with statues and monuments. There was never anything to celebrate the confederacy for unless you are a fan of treason, genocide, slavery and segregation.

• Like 1

You know the old saying; " You know why it is always foggy in Louisiana? Even God doesn't want to know what is going on in Louisiana . "

Yep, no reason for me to ever travel to that state again. I rather fly over it. Definitely not driving through those backwood bayou counties again. It's just a different world. Certain parts are ok though. Shreveport, BR and a few other places aren't as bad as the smaller towns.

Are you like 6 years old or something?

This is not "just now coming up". It's always been topic of discussion.

Only difference is actions are being taken place. Not hard to understand at all.

IMO the mistake was made in the beginning when we decided to celebrate the confederacy with statues and monuments. There was never anything to celebrate the confederacy for unless you are a fan of treason, genocide, slavery and segregation.

That's cute.

It may have been a topic of discussion for years, you are right about that, but what I'm saying is why are actions JUST NOW taking place? If people have been offended for that long, why wait until now to take action?

Serious question Pack, should they rename John Tyler High School? I think if they change Lee then they gotta change JT too. I get the history behind Robert E Lee but I'm curious as to why JT isn't being challenged to change their name as well.

(And maybe they are. I don't live in Tyler anymore so I'm not caught up with everything.)

I don't have a problem with them changing both of the names. The city of Tyler too if that's what the people want that live there. I'm not losing sleep over any of it. I just don't believe that those individuals should've had schools, buildings and cities named after them in the first place. Definitely shouldn't have had statues or monuments created for them. They were traitors.
  • Like 1

How long did women fight for the right to vote?

I wonder if people were saying why are they "just now" asking for that right now when that was the current fight.

I agree with Anti. I think this has been boiling for a long time. But social media and political climate have brought it to the forefront again.

Obviously it's been a conversation before or else REL would still be called the Rebels instead of changing it like they did back in the early SEVENTIES.

That was 40 years ago. Just now? Nah.

• Like 1

How long did women fight for the right to vote?

I wonder if people were saying why are they "just now" asking for that right now when that was the current fight.

I agree with Anti. I think this has been boiling for a long time. But social media and political climate have brought it to the forefront again.

Obviously it's been a conversation before or else REL would still be called the Rebels instead of changing it like they did back in the early SEVENTIES.

That was almost 40 years ago. Just now? Nah.

I don't see it that way. But to each their own.

You just explained why things should change then. If it's non sense, why is "past disdain" coming back just for the renaming of something...?

I have no say in it, as I did not go to Lee or any of the Tyler ISD schools. It's their choice. But REL High School is rich in confederate history. From previously being the Robert E Lee Rebels, to having Dixie as their fight song at one point and even as far as running around the football stadium with confederate uniforms with the "confederate flag."

They made the changes in the 70s to get rid of it...I don't understand why they didn't change the name then either.

Because Tyler fought to keep the name. In 94 was a huge fight at Lee that cause a lot of kids to be sent home because of the N-word go home being spray-painted on the side of JCPenney's or Dillards whichever one is right behind Lee.

If the kids can figure out who their school is named after ( and its highly doubtful in this day of teaching to the test, social media,etc) and they decide to rename the school, then do it. Can't wait to watch Justin Bieber High whoop Michael Moore Tech in tiddlywinks.

If the kids can figure out who their school is named after ( and its highly doubtful in this day of teaching to the test, social media,etc) and they decide to rename the school, then do it. Can't wait to watch Justin Bieber High whoop Michael Moore Tech in tiddlywinks.

Sending my kid to Jonas Brothers Middle School. Lol

• Like 1

I could go over the long history of things that have happened at Lee. We have talked about how there has Never been a coach of any other race other than White has the Head Football Coach. The same can be said about JT only have Black HC since 91. People from Tyler has always knew of the racial divide in the city yet has never changed. You want to know why things haven't been changed in Tyler, because of old Heads who are just dying off. That city is still ran by the rich members of Greenacres Baptist Church.

I don't consider it "rewriting" history. What occurred during the years of the civil war will always be in the record and history books. I'm pretty sure kids and adults will still be able to read about it in the schools and libraries. Heck, all you have to do now is pull out your phone and google it. So, it's not "rewriting" history. REL didn't accomplish anything and he was a traitor. He doesn't deserve to have any monuments and schools or buildings named after him. People were wrong for doing it in the first place. The old south is dead. The monuments, statues, schools and etc. that give credit to it and present those so-called leaders like they were heroes or greats that accomplished something special should be taken down and destroyed if possible. They lost. They were traitors that went against their country. It's time to move on from them. Period (waits for 77 to run in here complaining about my post again). Not angry, I'm typing the truth. A truth you don't want to see or hear.

History books are already being changed. Our colleges are rewriting history by what they are teaching everyday. Those books you talk about will be gone one day along with the monuments and statues. What gives any of us the right to say that our rights are more important than the rights of those living in the days of the Cival War? Good & bad, history has to be preserved. If I go to a Cival War battlefield I want statues & monuments there so I can show my grandsons the good and bad. Learning & growing doesn't come from presenting only one side. And as far as the horrible Robert E Lee, he fought bravely for this country. In Charabusco & many other conflicts and served distinguishly at West Piint. The fact that he was born in a Southern state, brought up influenced by all that entailed wasn't his doing. As far as fighting for his state during the Cival War, most at that time called his decision loyalty.

• Like 2

I don't see how a city of nearly 100,000 can be run by a church. This isn't Mayberry. But it makes me suspicious.

I've worked in Tyler when I was at ETMC and I've never seen a more racially divided city in my life.

Weird for me coming from a small town where you'd expect that sort of thing.

Race relations, while nowhere near perfect, seem a much more harmonious in Marshall than they do in Tyler. Longview is much more harmonious too.

Strange Tyler seems stuck in the 1960's in that respect.

I don't see it that way. But to each their own.

Lee changed from Rebels to Raiders in the early 70s.

That's not an opinion. That's a historical fact.

That was 40 years ago.

You said just now.

I'm trying to understand your "I don't see it that way" as to it being just now.

This is an old olllllldddd conversation. I don't see how anyone can label this "just now".

I don't see how a city of nearly 100,000 can be run by a church. This isn't Mayberry. But it makes me suspicious.

I've worked in Tyler when I was at ETMC and I've never seen a more racially divided city in my life.

Weird for me coming from a small town where you'd expect that sort of thing.

Race relations, while nowhere near perfect, seem a much more harmonious in Marshall than they do in Tyler. Longview is much more harmonious too.

Strange Tyler seems stuck in the 1960's in that respect.

Don't want to, but I have to agree .