The Smoakhouse Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Stoney

Stoney's Sources Were Wrong Justin Verlander Trade To Astros

He might have helped us this year, but I was never a fan of his acquisition. Too much money tied up for the next 2 years for a pitcher of his age. It MAY have made a difference this year, but I doubt it. I don't want to tie up that money & give prospects for 2 months of pitching........

***the guy that broke this retweeted just a few minutes ago that it was unclear whether he vetoed trade or the Astros pulled back at the last second........I was say it was more probable he vetoed it though. I can't see the Astros going that deep unless they were ready to pull the trigger***

ESPN REPORTING VERLANDER IS NOW AN ASTRO 11:45pm

somebody did some shoddy reporting trying to get the scoop.......gonna look like a fool tomorrow

somebody did some shoddy reporting trying to get the scoop.......gonna look like a fool tomorrow

Y'all been using the sources I got rid of, evidently........:lol:

Y'all been using the sources I got rid of, evidently........ :lol:

lol

Now you love the trade right?

We kept Tucker and Fisher, so THS has nothing against it.......:lol:

Makes you wonder why this didn't happen a month ago...

Also, both players that tweeted selfies saying they werent traded, were eventually traded (Darvish & Verlander).

Nope.....didn't say or infer that. No doubt he will help this year. Every trade scenario we heard at the initial deadline had us giving up Tucker, Fisher, or Whitley which I was 100% against. Perez is the only prospect we gave up that I was somewhat high on. I still think we are paying too much money to a short-term pitcher, but I was much more concerned about the prospects than the money (especially since it is not my $). I was never against acquiring a pitcher. I was against over-paying prospects for one. IMO this is MUCH better than any deal was at the deadline because we didn't hurt the farm system.

Nope.....didn't say or infer that. No doubt he will help this year. Every trade scenario we heard at the initial deadline had us giving up Tucker, Fisher, or Whitley which I was 100% against. Perez is the only prospect we gave up that I was somewhat high on. I still think we are paying too much money to a short-term pitcher, but I was much more concerned about the prospects than the money (especially since it is not my $). I was never against acquiring a pitcher. I was against over-paying prospects for one. IMO this is MUCH better than any deal was at the deadline because we didn't hurt the farm system.

We have him for TWO MORE YEARS!!!!!!!!

We have him for TWO MORE YEARS!!!!!!!!

I get that. But he is also not the pitcher he once was. You expect there to be somewhat of a continual decline. I'm excited about having him, but we are not getting the CY Winner he once was. But he is instantly our #2 (and maybe #1 if Keuchel doesn't rebound) for this year at least

I get that. But he is also not the pitcher he once was. You expect there to be somewhat of a continual decline. I'm excited about having him, but we are not getting the CY Winner he once was. But he is instantly our #2 (and maybe #1 if Keuchel doesn't rebound) for this year at least

His fastball is statistically better than it has been in years. Like 3+ mph better.

His fastball is statistically better than it has been in years. Like 3+ mph better.

Exactly.......

I heard it's because he switched to Diet Dr Pepper.

We gotta get Kirt, wild, and THS some of whatever it was.......:lol:

• Like 1

Upton has a few curves...Maybe he is getting a few more workouts in
  • Like 1

His era isn't bad at 3.82, and maybe he can rebound with the Astros to his old form. Many pundits down here have him as the #1 now. I wonder about that. I think he helps the Stros, but is it enough to push them to the World Series ? I hope so, but we'll find out.

Upton has a few curves...Maybe he is getting a few more workouts in

Stuck in a flood with Upton. That poor poor man. ;)

Stuck in a flood with Upton. That poor poor man. ;)

I've heard only 35% of Houston is still flooded, so it will probably be all gone by the time he gets down here to find a home. I hope he chooses well.

I haven't noticed anything getting any better on me

• Like 1