Stoney's Sources Were Wrong Justin Verlander Trade To Astros

Stoney

He might have helped us this year, but I was never a fan of his acquisition. Too much money tied up for the next 2 years for a pitcher of his age. It MAY have made a difference this year, but I doubt it. I don't want to tie up that money & give prospects for 2 months of pitching........

***the guy that broke this retweeted just a few minutes ago that it was unclear whether he vetoed trade or the Astros pulled back at the last second........I was say it was more probable he vetoed it though. I can't see the Astros going that deep unless they were ready to pull the trigger***

Now you love the trade right?

Nope.....didn't say or infer that. No doubt he will help this year. Every trade scenario we heard at the initial deadline had us giving up Tucker, Fisher, or Whitley which I was 100% against. Perez is the only prospect we gave up that I was somewhat high on. I still think we are paying too much money to a short-term pitcher, but I was much more concerned about the prospects than the money (especially since it is not my $). I was never against acquiring a pitcher. I was against over-paying prospects for one. IMO this is MUCH better than any deal was at the deadline because we didn't hurt the farm system.

Nope.....didn't say or infer that. No doubt he will help this year. Every trade scenario we heard at the initial deadline had us giving up Tucker, Fisher, or Whitley which I was 100% against. Perez is the only prospect we gave up that I was somewhat high on. I still think we are paying too much money to a short-term pitcher, but I was much more concerned about the prospects than the money (especially since it is not my $). I was never against acquiring a pitcher. I was against over-paying prospects for one. IMO this is MUCH better than any deal was at the deadline because we didn't hurt the farm system.

We have him for TWO MORE YEARS!!!!!!!!

We have him for TWO MORE YEARS!!!!!!!!

I get that. But he is also not the pitcher he once was. You expect there to be somewhat of a continual decline. I'm excited about having him, but we are not getting the CY Winner he once was. But he is instantly our #2 (and maybe #1 if Keuchel doesn't rebound) for this year at least

I get that. But he is also not the pitcher he once was. You expect there to be somewhat of a continual decline. I'm excited about having him, but we are not getting the CY Winner he once was. But he is instantly our #2 (and maybe #1 if Keuchel doesn't rebound) for this year at least

His fastball is statistically better than it has been in years. Like 3+ mph better.

His era isn't bad at 3.82, and maybe he can rebound with the Astros to his old form. Many pundits down here have him as the #1 now. I wonder about that. I think he helps the Stros, but is it enough to push them to the World Series ? I hope so, but we'll find out.