Week Two: Marshall at Longview

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (1-0) vs Marshall Mavericks (0-1)  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Marshall in a close one
    • Marshall in a blow out

longview.pngmarshall.png

LONGVIEW LOBOS (1-0, 0-0) VS MARSHALL MAVERICKS (0-1, 0-0)

DATE: Friday, September 8th, 2017
TIME: 7:30 PM
LONGVIEW BROADCAST: 106.5 JACK FM
MARSHALL BROADCAST: 103.9 FM KMHT

longview.pngLOBOS LEAD SERIES 59-42-5 longview.png

The Mavericks have a 14-17-2 lead when the game is a non-district contest.
The Lobos have a 45-25-3 lead when the game is a district contest.
The two schools have never played a playoff contest before.
The Lobos have a 1-0 lead when the game is played at a neutral location.
The Lobos have a 29-15-3 lead when the game is played at Longview.
The Lobos have a 29-27-2 lead when the game is played at Marshall.
Longview won the last meeting against the Mavericks.
Longview is 15-4-0 all-time against Marshall at Lobo Stadium (new), winning the last 7 meetings there.
Longview is 1-0-0 when the game is played on September 8th.

LAST FIVE GAMES IN SERIES
09.02.2016 - Longview 56, Marshall 7 - Maverick Stadium
10.09.2015 - Marshall 28, Longview 25 - Maverick Stadium
10.10.2014 - Longview 56, Marshall 13 - Lobo Stadium
09.06.2013 - Longview 26, Marshall 14 - Maverick Stadium
09.14.2012 - Longview 48, Marshall 0 - Lobo Stadium
FULL GAME LOG

GAME PREVIEW & SERIES REVIEW
A season started like none other. Right with the kickoff of the 108 season of Lobo football, a kickoff return for a touchdown started the 2017 season with a bang for the Longview Lobos. The win started off what would become their 39th victory against their long time rival, Lufkin. While the Lobo offense got off to a slow start, it was kick into gear mid way through the 2nd quarter when Carter would take over the helm. Despite a drive of over 7 minutes and 17 plays for Lufkin to start the second half, the Lobo offense would continue it's dominance with Carter at the QB spot until midway through the 4th when the Lobos coughed up their only fumble on the night. By then, the Lobos had established a 28-10 lead and looked well onto the way to their first victory of the year. The Lobos, starting the season with a win for just the second time since 2012, now look towards another long time rival. From #80 against Lufkin, to #107 against Marshall. The rematch following Marshall's 2015 upset of Longview (28-25) proved to be no match up last season, as the Lobos marched all over the Mavericks in a 56-7 victory. The win marked the largest victory against Marshall in the series history for the Lobos. The win marked Longview's 15th win over the Mavs in the last 16 seasons. Tonight, the Lobos will look to win their 60th overall game against the Mavericks which would be the first time in Longview history that Lobos have recorded at least 60 wins against a single opponent. Marshall, with a fresh new coaching staff following Harper's move to Duncanville, started the season off with a 29-27 loss against Chance Amie and the Robert E Lee Rebels. Claude Mathis takes over for the Mavs in their first road game under his helm but Mathis is definitely no stranger to Longview football after two seasons being district mates when he was the head coach at DeSoto. Both contests went Longview's way as the Lobos upset the Eagles in 2010, 38-35, and held on for a strong defensive victory in 2011, 23-21. This year's edition marks Marshall's 20th visit all-time to Longview's Lobo Stadium (the new stadium). Since their shocking double overtime victory over the Lobos in 1998, 35-28, Marshall has not beaten the Lobos at the stadium running a record of 7 consecutive defeats.

WEEK TWO 11-6A SCHEDULE:
Longview vs Marshall (Lobo Stadium)
John Tyler vs Ennis (Rose Stadium)
Mesquite at Garland (Williams Stadium)
Mesquite Horn v. Dallas Skyline (Cotton Bowl) {Saturday}
North Mesquite v. Garland Lakeview Centennial (Cotton Bowl)
Rockwall v. Rowlett (Cotton Bowl)
Rockwall Heath vs West Mesquite (Wilkerson-Sanders Memorial Stadium)
Tyler Lee vs Corsicana (Rose Stadium) {Saturday}

WEEK ONE 11-6A RESULTS:
Longview 35 Lufkin 16
John Tyler 49 Plano West 13
Mesquite 19 Lake Highlands 43
Mesquite Horn 52 McKinney Boyd 34
North Mesquite 22 Arlington Sam Houston 24
Rockwall 53 Highland Park 49
Rockwall Heath 34 Wylie East 10
Tyler Lee 29 Marshall 27

DISTRICT 11-6A STANDINGS
1st. John Tyler (1-0, 0-0)
2nd. Longview (1-0, 0-0)
3rd. Mesquite Horn (1-0, 0-0)
4th. Rockwall (1-0, 0-0)
5th. Rockwall Heath (1-0, 0-0)
6th. Tyler Lee (1-0, 0-0)
7th. Mesquite (0-1, 0-0)
8th. North Mesquite (0-1, 0-0)

LONGVIEW LOBOS
Record: 1-0 (0-0)
District: 11-6A
Coach: John King (140-34 in 13 seasons) (Playoffs: 31-13)
First Year of Football: 1909
All-Time Record: 696-339-52 (Playoffs: 59-40-1)
Playoff Appearances: 42
Last Playoff Appearance: 2016, 6A Division II Bi-District Round
State Championships (1): 1937 (1A)
State Championship Appearances (4): 1937 (1A), 1997 (5A D1), 2008 (4A D1), 2009 (4A D1)
SCHEDULE:
09.01 - vs Lufkin - Win 35-16
09.08 - vs Marshall
09.15 - vs South Oak Cliff
09.22 - at Mesquite Horn
09.29 - vs Tyler Lee
10.06 - at Rockwall
10.20 - vs North Mesquite
10.27 - at John Tyler
11.03 - vs Rockwall Heath
11.10 - at Mesquite

MARSHALL MAVERICKS
Record: 0-1 (0-0)
District: 16-5A
Coach: Claude Mathis (0-1 in 1 season) (Playoffs: 0-0)
First Year of Football: 1902
All-Time Record: 588-457-45 (Playoffs: 37-27-2)
Playoff Appearances: 29
Last Playoff Appearance: 2016, 5A Division II Bi-District Round
State Championships: 1990 (5A DI)
State Championship Appearances: 1990 (5A DI), 2004 (4A DI), 2005 (4ADI)
SCHEDULE:
09.01 - vs Tyler Lee - Loss 29-27
09.08 - at Longview
09.15 - vs Alvin Shadow Creek
09.22 - at Corsicana
09.29 - at Texas High
10.06 - vs Sulphur Springs
10.13 - at Mount Pleasant
10.20 - vs Greenville
10.27 - at Hallsville
11.03 - vs Pine Tree

ON THIS DATE IN LOBO HISTORY: September 8th
In 1950, Sonny Jones and Jerry Matthews each tallied two touchdowns as the Lobo rolled over Denton, 41-0, in Lobo Stadium. The Lobo defense held the Broncos to just 57 total yards on the night.
In 1967, Ralph Blount’s field goal and Rodney Hill’s 2nd quarter touchdown reception was all Longview needed to a 10-7 victory over Woodrow Wilson.
In 1972, Mick Mock tallied the only touchdown the Lobos needed but Calvin Portley, Chuck Boyd and Charles Robey added the insurance markers in a 27-0 Lobo win over Dallas Jesuit.
In 1978, five different Lobos scored for the Lobos, highlighted by a 78 yard interception return by Ed Jackson, as the Lobos knocked off Dallas Thomas Jefferson 34-0 at Cobb Stadium.
In 1989, the Lobos fell behind 12-0 at Mesquite Memorial Stadium against North Mesquite before a huge 4th quarter comeback spurred by two Selwyn Broughton touchdowns in a 15-12 shocker over the Stallions.
In 1995, after a scoreless first half, the Lobos marched out to a 10-0 lead behind Isiah Stoker’s 3rd quarter marker before holding on to knock off the Waco Lions for the 7th straight time, 17-7.
In 2000, fresh off their 2nd straight State Championship, Cedric Benson notched four touchdowns as the Midland Lee Rebels opened the season with a 40-7 win over Longview at Memorial Stadium in Midland.
In 2006, the Lobos grabbed a 38-21 lead before a late 4th quarter comeback by the Mavericks pushed the game to the brink with a last second hail mary falling just short. Jazmon Moon tallied four touchdowns in the 38-35 victory over Marshall.

lobohowl2.GIF

Hate to say it.....but Longview may hang 60 on us.

Our offense is just too inept right now to keep this game close. Losing our QB in 7 on 7 back in July has completely crippled this team offensively.

The O-Line isn't playing well.... they aren't blocking.... no lanes to run in.... no holes to dart through. Running game is almost non-existent TBH.

Our new QB, a transfer from Monroe, Louisiana, had a stellar season last year as a Junior, but he has struggled mightily thus far against PG, Carthage, and now Lee. The timing just isn't there with the WR's yet. And it's not really close yet His legs are good.... but the O-line is failing him. Got pounded against Lee.

Just a mess offensively TBH. And I say that KNOWING we had over 400 yards offensively against Lee. But Lee's defense isn't Longview's defense. Not even close.

I was thrilled to see us never give up against Lee..... we could have.... and probably should have won that game.

We got down to the Lee ONE yard line and couldn't punch it in. Well...... when you lose by 2 points.... that possession inside the 2 that failed to score points cost you the game. Period.

I thought our defense played well enough in the first half. Lee lead 15-14 at the break. SHOULD have been 21-15 Marshall had it not been for the choke at the 2....but it is what it is.

But Lee's size on their offense wore us out in the 2nd half. Wickware and Aime got theirs in the 2nd half. Our offense squatted completely in the third quarter and Lee capitalized. Their beef beat our beef down.

I expect Longview to do the same..... except it will likely happen faster than Lee did. Longview will wear us down.

Our offense will keep our defense on the field too long.... and the Lobos will make us pay for it.

Hope I'm wrong...but that's what I'm predicting.

We lost to Tyler Lee 34-7 last season. It was 29-27 this year. I should feel better about it..... and part of me does. BUT....part of me doesn't. I was expecting more for the Mavs.... and it didn't happen.

I don't take solace in moral victories. I'm thrilled the guys never gave up. And sure.... losing by 2 is better than losing by 27. But knowing where we are right now.... and knowing where Longview is right now.... yeah.

Hope for a good game. But mentally.... I'm already thinking about Week 3. Ugh.

Come on Mavs, yall got this, head up, shoulders back don't let em see tha pain.. Wth? come on man, ya went 4 rounds with a 6A team and with a couple really great athletes, to be honest. Ya gotta give that line time to gell together, they will come around, maybe by game 4-5, doesn't matter, predistrict is for learning and trying new things, surrat never opens his playbook all the way till they get to playoffs, Mathis didn't become a successful coach by being foolish, if he calling plays then it's for a reason and a reason we may not understand. Yall got a helluva coaching staff assembled over there, don't jump ship cause the waves look big, give them dudes time to work they Majic. It's not the first four that matter, it's the last five or six. That last night was just the first round, yall will be tested before dist play and better for it. Remember, you would rather beat T-High than Longview.. Focus on the goal.

• Like 1

Come on Mavs, yall got this, head up, shoulders back don't let em see tha pain.. Wth? come on man, ya went 4 rounds with a 6A team and with a couple really great athletes, to be honest. Ya gotta give that line time to gell together, they will come around, maybe by game 4-5, doesn't matter, predistrict is for learning and trying new things, surrat never opens his playbook all the way till they get to playoffs, Mathis didn't become a successful coach by being foolish, if he calling plays then it's for a reason and a reason we may not understand. Yall got a helluva coaching staff assembled over there, don't jump ship cause the waves look big, give them dudes time to work they Majic. It's not the first four that matter, it's the last five or six. That last night was just the first round, yall will be tested before dist play and better for it. Remember, you would rather beat T-High than Longview.. Focus on the goal.

+1

Hate to say it.....but Longview may hang 60 on us.

Our offense is just too inept right now to keep this game close. Losing our QB in 7 on 7 back in July has completely crippled this team offensively.

The O-Line isn't playing well.... they aren't blocking.... no lanes to run in.... no holes to dart through. Running game is almost non-existent TBH.

Our new QB, a transfer from Monroe, Louisiana, had a stellar season last year as a Junior, but he has struggled mightily thus far against PG, Carthage, and now Lee. The timing just isn't there with the WR's yet. And it's not really close yet His legs are good.... but the O-line is failing him. Got pounded against Lee.

Just a mess offensively TBH. And I say that KNOWING we had over 400 yards offensively against Lee. But Lee's defense isn't Longview's defense. Not even close.

I was thrilled to see us never give up against Lee..... we could have.... and probably should have won that game.

We got down to the Lee ONE yard line and couldn't punch it in. Well...... when you lose by 2 points.... that possession inside the 2 that failed to score points cost you the game. Period.

I thought our defense played well enough in the first half. Lee lead 15-14 at the break. SHOULD have been 21-15 Marshall had it not been for the choke at the 2....but it is what it is.

But Lee's size on their offense wore us out in the 2nd half. Wickware and Aime got theirs in the 2nd half. Our offense squatted completely in the third quarter and Lee capitalized. Their beef beat our beef down.

I expect Longview to do the same..... except it will likely happen faster than Lee did. Longview will wear us down.

Our offense will keep our defense on the field too long.... and the Lobos will make us pay for it.

Hope I'm wrong...but that's what I'm predicting.

We lost to Tyler Lee 34-7 last season. It was 29-27 this year. I should feel better about it..... and part of me does. BUT....part of me doesn't. I was expecting more for the Mavs.... and it didn't happen.

I don't take solace in moral victories. I'm thrilled the guys never gave up. And sure.... losing by 2 is better than losing by 27. But knowing where we are right now.... and knowing where Longview is right now.... yeah.

Hope for a good game. But mentally.... I'm already thinking about Week 3. Ugh.

So I guess you are finished posting for the week? Sounds like you are setting yourself up for the inevitable. You know for the most part how this game has gone for Marshall in the last 15 to 20 years.

• Like 1

Carter or King have to start for Longview.

Just have to.

Will be getting all the fancy stuff up after lunch. Bout to drive home.

Interested to hear Lee's take on Marshall.

My take on Marshall is their a good football team that just needs to iron out the first game mistakes as with everyone. Their at a little disadvantage with the QB just coming in. But you can tell he has a lot of talent and is a dual threat. Once his timing gets down their going to be all that on offense with their O line and that running back

The light switch will come on any day for them when they put it all together. When they do their going to be pretty sound. I think their defense has playmakers all over it. They get in the backfield a lot and cause havoc.

Their highly speculated line is all that, but Lee had a great D front this year that stood their ground with them. The goal line stand from the 1 was all on them. Marshall has a lot of talent and a good staff over there. Their tough scrimmages and playing Lee and Longview is going to help them a lot regardless of the outcome. Because once their district starts their going to go off on the average team. By seasons end they will be right there with the QB play they need.

You can't take that kind of talent lightly. Their good enough to win every week.

I'm not giving up on this team AT ALL. I think we will be fine when the time comes. But right now..... SMH. We got issues. Big ones.

We went 4 rounds with a 6A team that's likely to win maybe 3-4 games this season. I hope Lee proves me wrong, but I didn't think they were nearly as good as they were last season.... and we see how that went for them in 2016.

Talk about letting the O-line gel would make sense to me if this wasn't a veteran part of the team. THREE D-1 commits on that line.... Lee's defense pushed them around like rag dolls. They can't get their blocks. This was suppose to be our strength in the absence of Cam Haller. That anyone would be able to tote the rock. But they have no running room out there.

And losing Hunter at QB back in July will probably haunt us all season. Hardly any team loses a veteran QB in July and shakes it off easily. The new QB has a heck of an arm. He can toss it.... but the timing is horrendous right now.

And I agree..... IT WILL be better by the time we start district. But I think people are a little shocked at how ugly the offense has looked Vs. PG, Carthage, and Lee. 2 of those defenses were good.... one of them wasn't. Longview's will be significantly better than all three. All those 3 and outs will wear us thin QUICK.

So no.....not giving up on this team or staff. Not even close. And I'm thrilled how those guys hung in there last night after being down. Lee is 2X the size of MHS. I get that too. But sugarcoating it doesn't make it sweeter.

Longview is at another echelon (or three) higher than Lee.

I'll be there though. And I'm gonna believe a miracle can happen. But more than anything....I just want to see improvement going forward. We've improved PG to Carthage and Carthage to Lee. I want to see that continued upward rise from Lee to Longview.

Go Mavs go!

If you replace two on that line to start the year, those three d-1 linemen can't do it all, the line is the foundation of the offense, EVERYBODY must pull their weight to be successful. Give the new replacement players time to get up to game speed. Guarantee that line coach got tuned up by hc about their paying on line, he will work them relentlessly this week and they will play a little better. Takes time for an offensive line to learn to trust each other and learn to help a brother out. It will happen an they'll gell, they'll look 100% better by district and that is what Mathis is concerned about not Lee or lobo's, they are paying him to be successful in the Playoffs, not beat 6A teams. If he looses first four then wins state, anyone gon be mad? Honest question.. Js

Longview keeps rolling, 45-24.

I don't see the Mavs scoring 24 on us unless it's 1) late game scores which is definitely possible or 2) Longview gives them some points via turnovers or special teams.

I could be wrong but we'll see.

Maybe Timberlake goes off on us.

• Like 2

Timberlake had ZERO offensive touches against Lee. The only time he touched the ball was on a kickoff return. With that kind of speed you have to at least give him an opportunity to break one or two. Either a wr screen or a reverse play, something to get him out in the open to make a play. I agree that it will be difficult to put up points against longview. I am interested in seeing how the defense holds up. They were outstanding against Lee with the exception of a missed tackle here and there. I hope we use Sellers a little more in the running game with some zone reads and qb draws. He showed flashes of being explosive. We need to be able to run to set up the pass instead of throwing so often.

I think we should move one of those guards to center and let Hood & Hines open up some running lanes at guard. We could really feed off the running game if we did this imo. We would need to find a new rt, but I think making this move would be to our personnel strengths. Sellers is not a pure drop back passer like we tried to use him as last night. More zone reads and play actions feeding off an improved running game.