Week Two: Marshall at Longview

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (1-0) vs Marshall Mavericks (0-1)  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Marshall in a close one
    • Marshall in a blow out

I don't see the Mavs scoring 24 on us unless it's 1) late game scores which is definitely possible or 2) Longview gives them some points via turnovers or special teams.

Yeah, I'm thinking a combination of both. I figure this week will go similar to Friday night. The only difference being that I think Marshall will have the ability to capitalize on opportunities that Lufkin didn't.

I also see a score coming via special teams. They looked loosey-goosey Friday night. I mean, I love Kessler to death, but the kid shouldn't have two tackles on his stat-line. ;)

But I would like to add on proviso: if HK starts, we'll score 50+

Can I also add that I'm glad to see Juvarrs Lampkin contributing on defense. He's a smart athletic kid who needs to be on the field somewhere.

That was not Lampkin playing in the secondary on Friday night !

It was one of the Dotrey twins ! He's also listed on the roster wearing #12 (the other twin wears #13 and plays CB) ! Longview's PA announcer should've known (or certainly been informed) that Lampkin is the JV QB therefore making him ineligible to play on Friday night...too !!

Lampkin should be removed from that varsity roster as it definitely makes it very confusing not to mention embarrassing for the PA announcer who didn't do his due diligence in researching this issue beforehand.

Oh, my bad... I didn't make the JV game or I would've known that. :wacko:

It's ok...it's not your fault ! I didn't attend the JV game either but the PA announcer should've been notified of this...wouldn't you agree ??

I figured it out after he announced Lampkin on the tackle after the first or second time that he did so. Davotrick Dotrey (#12) had 9 tackles on the night (which was the second leading tackler in the game for the Lobos) and he never got the appropriate recognition because of the oversight.

BTW...I just emailed you the box score that details all of the "Tackle" info as well !

• Like 1

T Washington had 60 yards receiving

S Smith had 32

D Bender had 44

R smith had 10

Kelehan shoulda had a couple. But he dropped a few.

But it's mostly overthrows and wrong routes ATM.

QB timing just isn't there yet. IF if gets there... offense could be interesting down the road (district play!).

But for now. Pretty tough to watch. The guy had 1300 yards passing last year in Monroe. He CAN pass. Just a matter of fitting into our system.

Hope it happens.

Rushing game is atrocious so far.

I'm very interested in seeing how Lee and Corsicana look this week. We got corsi in a few weeks. Could be a telling game about Lee and Marshall.

If marshall can make an accurate deep pass it could be trouble for the lobos. Lufkin had receivers open all night but the q.v. kept over throwing them.

I didn't see it that way. Deep passes had to be dropped in the bucket to conplete which is a difficult throw. Underneath routes had some room, but Longview tends to have a bend don't break mentality on defense. I saw one busted coverage on a wheel route, but that was the only deep recriver that ran free

Marshall will need some things to go their way to win this one ...as with any team playing the Bo's

You dont go into their house and just play your game, You have to win special teams, turnovers penalties, and score in the red zone.

The constant pounding of their O line and big back takes a toll on you in the 2 nd half.

In these early games that's where your conditioning can make or break you

Marshall will improve this week because they have a lot of film now to know where they need to adjust. But taking down the Bo's at home is just too much to ask with a new QB

Not sure anyone will go in their place and win this year, because Longview is only going to get better too

Marshall will need some things to go their way to win this one ...as with any team playing the Bo's

You dont go into their house and just play your game, You have to win special teams, turnovers penalties, and score in the red zone.

The constant pounding of their O line and big back takes a toll on you in the 2 nd half.

In these early games that's where your conditioning can make or break you

Marshall will improve this week because they have a lot of film now to know where they need to adjust. But taking down the Bo's at home is just too much to ask with a new QB

Not sure anyone will go in their place and win this year, because Longview is only going to get better too

+1

I just want to see improvement.

District play is the priority.

This game will prepare us.

Our Defensive Line doesn't seem like it has improved much IF at all. If, I was a coach, the key to staying in the game with us is finding you a big bruising type of back along with a LEGITIMATE FULLBACK around 5'10" - 6'0" weighing about 245 lbs. Couple that with pulling guards along the offensive line and additional tailbacks or tight ends on EVERY, SINGLE running play and you will straight up gas our Defense.

Line up Timberlake on the slot, run a unsuspecting play action to him after about 7 or 8 smashmouth plays with our hands on our knees or sides trying to siphon air and you've got us in trouble. With the aforementioned approach, you have used up a majority of time clock and John King is FORCED to open up the passing game IF it's close very, late in the game. If, Claude Mathis can do this and keep it close, I will NOT stick around for anymore highsteps along the sidelines, especially at our house.

• Like 1

I've seen a 165 pound guard get around out in the flat and literally destroy a corner.. A couple of them can wreck a secondary after awhile.. Pure to the bone meanness is a desired trait in pulling guards, size is just a bonus in my opinion.. Js

Sure but when you're small and not particulary mean its quite problematic lol our guards were in the backfield as much as the RB was and we couldn't run in the A gaps at all it just doesn't make sense to have the smaller quicker guys inside