Week Two: Marshall at Longview

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (1-0) vs Marshall Mavericks (0-1)  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Marshall in a close one
    • Marshall in a blow out

I've looked and looked and looked. I've found nothing.

I've found numerous more games against John Tyler that I'm trying to completely confirm before the 100th meeting against them.

But almost all of Longview's old yearbooks have been destroyed. Most of the papers back then aren't around anymore.

But I'll keep searching. I'm sure there's a few other games out there I haven't found. Heck, I just recently found a game against Wills freakin Point we were suppose to play but then was cancelled. And I keep finding games that have been forfeited one way or another (most recent I found was a Gladewater forfeit that wasn't reported anywhere else to my knowledge).

So I'll keep ya updated for sure.

If the jv game is any indication of how tomorrow is gunna be it's not going to be pretty. Marshall may have a total of 8 yards after the first qtr. Not including sacks

Watched them last week against Lufkin. The defense alone scored like 20 points, Longview's soph class is pretty scrappy defensively with weapons offensively.

You mix them with the current Freshmen and Junior classes and that spells big success for Longview in 2018 and 2019 without doubt.

JV won 34-14.

Was up 22-0 at the half, played a sloppy 3rd quarter and gave Marshall ridiculously good field position on two sloppy turnovers. Then tightened up in the 4th and won the game going away.

JV line needs to get nasty. They've got some size/talent there, and move the line when they want to. Just played lackadaisical.

Who's #12 qb for Longview. Kid has a arm and some legs. If he gets a little more accurate he's gunna be a heck of a player for y'all.

Junior QB Lampkin. I think he can be utilized but it won't be at QB. Got a fella named Haynes King in the way.

• Like 1

You know that "research project" would be an interesting thing.

I had the awesome good fortune to broadcast thirteen years with Smoaky on the REL game call from 1996-2008. Add to that another few years with ICBLive.

Of course, I'm a little bit older than most of the others here on this thread so I can recall a number of great games from the 70's and early '80's as well. I was off in Austin for higher education during the better part of the '80's thereafter.

Something to be ponder for sure. Smoaky and I do have the memorable stories...lol !

• Like 1

You know that "research project" would be an interesting thing.

I had the awesome good fortune to broadcast thirteen years with Smoaky on the REL game call from 1996-2008. Add to that another few years with ICBLive.

Of course, I'm a little bit older than most of the others here on this thread so I can recall a number of great games from the 70's and early '80's as well. I was off in Austin for higher education during the better part of the '80's thereafter.

Something to be ponder for sure. Smoaky and I do have the memorable stories...lol !

man, Smoaky without a doubt is the best high school radio broadcaster I have ever heard and probably one of the best period. I enjoyed you and him for yrs. For some reason Lee games always started after JT or lasted longer than JT games (probably because Lee pass the ball more), but I would always catch the 4th qtr of Lee games. after JT's. I know smoaky has some good Marshall stories.

• Like 2

Favorite Lobo story I ever heard was when Chuck Flowers was the coach (the last Marshall coach to have a winning record Vs. the Lobos BTW).

Marshall had just beaten a heavily favored Lobo team (truth? or lore? who knows......) but he told the story that after the game... there was a crowd around him congratulating him on the unexpected win..... and a little old lady in Lobo gear walked up to him and politely asked "are you chuck flowers?". He responded yes.

She hauled off and punched him dead in the face.... then scuttled off.... never saw her again.

Lobos pretty much been punching us in the face ever since.

Thankfully losing to Longview doesn't (usually) ruin our season. Hope 2017 is the same.

Hard to get up too high with all these injuries piling up so early. Survive this week and then start concentrating on getting healthy for district.

• Like 2

Mavchamp...

You're going way...way back for that Chuck Flowers era "memory" as he was the Marshall Head Coach for five years which was 1950-1954.

While that "story" is quite entertaining in and of itself the two schools series record had Marshall leading the All-Time series during those days. So a Marshall win against the Lobos would NOT have been an upset...sounds like "lore" to me and quite possibly was mere frustration on the part of "Mamaw" Lobo....lol !

BTW... Marshall was in the midst of winning six straight during the late '40's to early 50's as well.

So where Longview really began to assert itself from Marshall, as far as wins & losses was concerned, began in 1969 when the Lobos started a 19 game "win streak" vs. the Mavericks. It wasn't until the 1988 season that Marshall finally broke through to defeat Longview. That was Dennis Parker's fifth season as the Maverick head coach. He was Marshall's sixth coach during that two decade span. Longview had three head coaches (Hudspeth, Humphreys and "Daddy Doug" Cox ). Humphreys went 3-0 then Cox's Lobo teams never lost to Marshall going 14-0 !

The series record now stands at 59-42-5 with Lomgview in command. Just taking the above referenced era coupled with the most current John King time period one can see that Marshall had a rather healthy advantage BEFORE 1969.

Historical perspective makes it interesting to note that over the past 47 or so years Longview has dominated the series as the numbers suggest.

While that "story" is quite entertaining in and of itself the two schools series record had Marshall leading the All-Time series during those days. So a Marshall win against the Lobos would NOT have been an upset...sounds like "lore" to me and quite possibly was mere frustration on the part of "Mamaw" Lobo....lol !

Depends on the year.

1951 the Mavs were coming into the Longview game at 5-4 while the Lobos were having their best season since 1947 with an 8-1 record. The Mavericks turned their season around once district play started and the game ended up being the district championship. Marshall's Jimmy Moore caught a 43 yard touchdown pass late in the 4th to win for the Mavs and send Marshall on into the playoffs while Longview was sent him. Game was at Maverick Stadium.

But then again, the next season the Mavs won 58-7 at Lobo so....yea. The ugliest game by far from a Maverick win stand point.

Game article from the '51 game: http://longviewlobos.bravehost.com/gamelogs/articles/358.html

My point was that Marshall had Longview's "number" during this time period AND up until the very late 60's as the series record definitely favored Marshall ! A Marshall win against Longview would NOT be viewed as it would be today...quite frankly.

Marshall beat Longview more often than not back then AND it really wasn't until 1969 that the proverbial worm began to turn.

Going back to 1969 the series record has been as "one-sided" as about any you'll find between old rivals. Longview owns a staggering 39-8 record in the series since then !

Well no doubt, but still...that 1951 game was definitely an upset. Longview's only loss on the season came against #4 in the state Palestine and already previously mentioned, the Mavs had 4 losses in their first 5 games. So when it comes to that year, it's definitely believable about everyone around town considering it an upset.

Mavchamp...

You're going way...way back for that Chuck Flowers era "memory" as he was the Marshall Head Coach for five years which was 1950-1954.

So where Longview really began to assert itself from Marshall, as far as wins & losses was concerned, began in 1969 when the Lobos started a 19 game "win streak" vs. the Mavericks. It wasn't until the 1988 season that Marshall finally broke through to defeat Longview. That was Dennis Parker's fifth season as the Maverick head coach. He was Marshall's sixth coach during that two decade span. Longview had three head coaches (Hudspeth, Humphreys and "Daddy Doug" Cox ). Humphreys went 3-0 then Cox's Lobo teams never lost to Marshall going 14-0 !

The series record now stands at 59-42-5 with Lomgview in command. Just taking the above referenced era coupled with the most current John King time period one can see that Marshall had a rather healthy advantage BEFORE 1969.

Historical perspective makes it interesting to note that over the past 47 or so years Longview has dominated the series as the numbers suggest.

I don't know the year of that game. But it was at Marshall if I recall correctly.

Marshall has never dominated Longview in my memory.

Three consecutive wins for us is the most I've ever witnessed.

I graduated in the 90's.... so the best I've seen was that decade. Was some great years in there for Marshall.

And while the 2000's were good to us with 2 state title games and 2 regional appearances..... Longview dominated us even though we had solid teams in those years.

2015 is fond.... only because it 1) ended another long streak. And 2) beat a historically good Lobo team (4 rounds deep). But that Texas High loss sure took some luster off.... even if we advanced to the region semis that year.

Fact is..... historically I love this game. Lots of memories even for myself.

But unless Mathis (or whomever) can elevate Marshall again.... or Longview come back down to earth a little.... this series seems to have run it's course.

Most of our history we had enrollments that were similar. No Longer the case. Longview is significantly bigger now. Haven't been in the same classification for most of the last 15 years.

Numbers don't lie. There is a reason we classify schools.

I'd rather see us elevate to be able to compete annually......

But outside of JT..... no one in East Texas seems to be able to compete annually against Longview. And even JT has had their struggles.

Need Lobo to come back down to Earth a little so the rest of us can have some fun with you guys again.

Because annually getting our teeth knocked in gets old.

We are Longview's Pine Tree. Sigh. lmao.

• Like 1

The series started it downward turn the second Marshall dropped to 4A.

Yes, we can be close in proximity. But the fact that the Mavs have had some pretty down years since then (despite also having some solid years), has really just given the series a big punch in the gut imo. There's no playoff berth on the line, there's no district title on the line. Coupled with the amount of unreal district title and playoff games we've had with Lufkin and John Tyler since then (and Tyler Lee)...I mean..just yea.

Have the games when we have been back in the same district been fun? Of course. That 2008 game was a blast. The 2009 game was pretty fun as well. Marshall will always hold onto 2015 now. We're just gonna forget about 2014 cause it was ugly.

It's just, no one in the current generation remembers a yearly Longview/Marshall match up meaning anything. Heck, I don't even. I remember 97 and 98 pretty clearly, but outside of that...I remember our 1999 meeting and the game being absolutely dead with no atmosphere what so ever. It's just different now a days and there's nothing wrong with that.

I know the game won't be ending anytime soon, cause 1) the media loves to hype it up as some amazing rivalry (I would never cheer for Lufkin or Cujo the way I do Marshall when we're not playing) and 2) it's a close game travel wise and saves money when we're facing a ton of schools that are over two hours away. But I've long said I would rather prefer playing someone other than Marshall.

But if we're gonna keep on playing you, y'all might as well step it up a notch and get consistently good and competitive.