Week Two: Marshall at Longview

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (1-0) vs Marshall Mavericks (0-1)  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Marshall in a close one
    • Marshall in a blow out

Favorite Lobo story I ever heard was when Chuck Flowers was the coach (the last Marshall coach to have a winning record Vs. the Lobos BTW).

Marshall had just beaten a heavily favored Lobo team (truth? or lore? who knows......) but he told the story that after the game... there was a crowd around him congratulating him on the unexpected win..... and a little old lady in Lobo gear walked up to him and politely asked "are you chuck flowers?". He responded yes.

She hauled off and punched him dead in the face.... then scuttled off.... never saw her again.

Lobos pretty much been punching us in the face ever since.

Thankfully losing to Longview doesn't (usually) ruin our season. Hope 2017 is the same.

Hard to get up too high with all these injuries piling up so early. Survive this week and then start concentrating on getting healthy for district.

Did Dennis Parker not having a winning record vs Longview? He for sure won in 88, 89, and 90. Was he at Marshall that long to have gained a losing record?

Edit: Just read that he had been at Marhsall a handful of years before that.

That said, your last paragraph makes me sad that we're not in the same classification and district now.

And makes me sad that 4 teams make the playoffs from each district. I'd like the old days of having 1 team, maybe 2. I know that'd mean some years we wouldn't have made it, but if you lose 2-3 district games I don't think you should be going. But that's an entirely different argument. It would just make this game more worth it when we're in the same classification/district.

Johnny....

Dennis Parker went 3-4 against Longview losing the first four then winning the last three. He left after getting Marshall a State Title in 1990 which ended his tenure from 1984-1990.

To show how the series changed drastically...Marshall had a 33-20-5 advantage when Longview embarked on the 19 year run of consecutive wins. As a matter of fact, Longview TIED the overall record at 33-33-5 in the fall of my Senior year football season of 1981. That was win number 13 in a row during the Lobos run.

It's significant because Longview never lead in the head-to-head until the next years victory. That would be 72 years over the course of game history.

Longview continued to increase it's advantage from that time forward...long before Marshall fell in classification...some two decades later.

The bottom line is that Marshall was ahead by 13 wins through 1968.

The pendulum swung since then with Longview going 39-8 in the last 47 meetings.

The series now stands at 59-42-5.

That is all...

The bottom line is that Marshall was ahead by 13 wins through 1968.

It helped that Marshall was much bigger than Longview during those early years (just like it helps Longview now). 18 of Longview's losses to Marshall came at 1931 and before. Series is 57-24-4 since the last time the two didn't meet (Didn't play in 1932, been playing ever since 1933 and on) which happens to be the same year Longview moved up from Class B to 1A.

Anyways...

GAME DAY! GO BOS!

lobohowl4.GIF

• Like 1

Longview big in this one. Keys against Marshall (which were the same keys I had prior to the LP game last week):

Marshall QB play vs experienced and promising Longview D - Sort of self explanatory. Longview secondary has another good week...front 7 gets better as the game progresses.

Chris Kessler vs the Lufkin special teams - For the first time in lord knows, LP didn't have a big special teams play against Longview last week. And that's because of Kessler's leg...they never really got a chance to get things going and when they did, Longview covered well.

JR RB Jessie Anderson and the Longview backfield vs the Marshall D - this could be the biggest mismatch of the night. Anderson, Williams and co were always going to have a good year and they started last week off with a bang. Mix this in with Longview's offensive line starting to hit stride, it could be a long night for the Marshall front 7.

Conditioning could play a big factor in this game too. Longview is as well conditioned and healthy as I've seen them in several seasons while Marshall is dealing with a few injuries according to Mathis.

Longview 56

Marshall 10

• Like 1

Chris Kessler vs the Lufkin special teams - For the first time in lord knows, LP didn't have a big special teams play against Longview last week. And that's because of Kessler's leg...they never really got a chance to get things going and when they did, Longview covered well.

For what it's worth..I would like to see Kessler not have a tackle..much less two...to his name after tonight.

I don't know the year of that game. But it was at Marshall if I recall correctly.

Marshall has never dominated Longview in my memory.

Three consecutive wins for us is the most I've ever witnessed.

I graduated in the 90's.... so the best I've seen was that decade. Was some great years in there for Marshall.

And while the 2000's were good to us with 2 state title games and 2 regional appearances..... Longview dominated us even though we had solid teams in those years.

2015 is fond.... only because it 1) ended another long streak. And 2) beat a historically good Lobo team (4 rounds deep). But that Texas High loss sure took some luster off.... even if we advanced to the region semis that year.

Fact is..... historically I love this game. Lots of memories even for myself.

But unless Mathis (or whomever) can elevate Marshall again.... or Longview come back down to earth a little.... this series seems to have run it's course.

Most of our history we had enrollments that were similar. No Longer the case. Longview is significantly bigger now. Haven't been in the same classification for most of the last 15 years.

Numbers don't lie. There is a reason we classify schools.

I'd rather see us elevate to be able to compete annually......

But outside of JT..... no one in East Texas seems to be able to compete annually against Longview. And even JT has had their struggles.

Need Lobo to come back down to Earth a little so the rest of us can have some fun with you guys again.

Because annually getting our teeth knocked in gets old.

We are Longview's Pine Tree. Sigh. lmao.

We beat some good Lobo teams in the 90s... Especially 95

You know that "research project" would be an interesting thing.

I had the awesome good fortune to broadcast thirteen years with Smoaky on the REL game call from 1996-2008. Add to that another few years with ICBLive.

Randy

I remember all of those. You and Smoke were the best. Called a heck of a game. You guys just brought the energy and excitement to the game

Good times. I'm sure you do have some stories I certainly have mine as well on the lLee program

Of course, I'm a little bit older than most of the others here on this thread so I can recall a number of great games from the 70's and early '80's as well. I was off in Austin for higher education during the better part of the '80's thereafter.

Something to be ponder for sure. Smoaky and I do have the memorable stories...lol !

• Like 1

We beat some good Lobo teams in the 90s... Especially 95

96 is who I think you're thinking of. Point away from the Semis that year.

95 y'all kept us out of the playoffs with a win at Maverick. And then everyone knows about 98, probably one of the more disappointing teams in our history (though 2014 is up there for me too).

Not only did we not give up a big special teams play to Lufkin, we got one of our own to start the game.

Our first ever kickoff return against Lp at that.

First punt or KO return against Lp since 1955.

After all the big ones they have against us, that one was a long time coming.

96 is who I think you're thinking of. Point away from the Semis that year.

95 y'all kept us out of the playoffs with a win at Maverick. And then everyone knows about 98, probably one of the more disappointing teams in our history (though 2014 is up there for me too).

It was 96. I had it mixed up. the 98 team (99 graduating class) was rough too

It was 96. I had it mixed up. the 98 team (99 graduating class) was rough too

I don't even remember what happened in 97... I know we relied a lot on Greg Lawson (WR) and Chris Bell (RB) to stay in games. I don't think we made the playoffs though. If we did, it was short lived.

Funny cause didn't we have a blocked FG return for a TD against them in 2006?

Yep. Got us back in the game for a moment at 37-27 before the Pack ended the chance with a long bomb.

That 06 Pack team peaked really early, much like we did in 05.

• Like 1