☠️ Mike Leach Appreciation Thread

Stoney

38 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

I'm interested to see this experiment. 

We’ve always wondered could Leach’s system work in the SEC and with better athletes, can’t wait to see how this turns out.

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

We’ve always wondered could Leach’s system work in the SEC and with better athletes, can’t wait to see how this turns out.

he won’t have better athletes at Mississippi State than anywhere he’s been imo.  Mississippi St is a hat rack program aside from a year or two here and there.  They’ve been exposed numerous times even when they were good.  Seems like Georgia Tech beat them when Dak was Qb.  Leach will draw better skill position players imo.  

2 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

he won’t have better athletes at Mississippi State than anywhere he’s been imo.  Mississippi St is a hat rack program aside from a year or two here and there.  They’ve been exposed numerous times even when they were good.  Seems like Georgia Tech beat them when Dak was Qb.  Leach will draw better skill position players imo.  

He will attract some of the elite QBs and WRs to that team.  The key will be the OL... is he can build his best OL he has ever had watch out.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

He will attract some of the elite QBs and WRs to that team.  The key will be the OL... is he can build his best OL he has ever had watch out.

He will definitely pull a good qb every other year or so.  I’d like to see if he could incorporate a more mobile qb in his air raid.  That could be pretty deadly

im also anxious to see who he picks as DC

7 hours ago, Valhalla said:

I'm interested to see this experiment. 

I bet he gets a grad transfer to QB his offense this year.  I don't think he'll ever win the SEC West, but I think he'll cause chaos and disruption in how things shape out.  He gets Auburn and A&M at home this year.  I could see them winning one of those games.

1 hour ago, Red90fly said:

I bet he gets a grad transfer to QB his offense this year.  I don't think he'll ever win the SEC West, but I think he'll cause chaos and disruption in how things shape out.  He gets Auburn and A&M at home this year.  I could see them winning one of those games.

I could see that Starkle the qb from smu( went to Texas) ,  Jurkovec from the Irish . I expect a lot of quarterbacks will be excited to play for him in the up and coming years with that offense. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

7 hours ago, Champ1000 said:

I could see that Starkle the qb from smu( went to Texas) ,  Jurkovec from the Irish . I expect a lot of quarterbacks will be excited to play for him in the up and coming years with that offense. 

I read at least 6 former 4* QB recruits are curious in the transfer portal. I’m sure they’re all looking up Starkvegas on GoogleEarth. 

• LOL! 1

11 hours ago, Red90fly said:

Exactly this...  Miss. State won't be winning the division anytime soon, but every once in a while they'll throw a scare into one of the big boys, and occasionally steal an upset from one of 'em.

It's gonna be fun to watch. 

When he was hired at Tech, did people think he could win there? The reason I ask is because I was too young to recall.

I didn't think he could make WSU somewhat relevant in the pac12, but he somehow managed to get them in to bowl game every year except 2014

19 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

When he was hired at Tech, did people think he could win there? The reason I ask is because I was too young to recall.

I didn't think he could make WSU somewhat relevant in the pac12, but he somehow managed to get them in to bowl game every year except 2014

I seem to recall his reputation being more of an offensive savant than the eccentric character he is now. Outside of the coaching fraternity, Big XII followers (or just people who watched CFB closely), Mike Leach was only known for brief OC jobs at Kentucky and OU. 

But I don't recall anyone saying, "Oh man, Texas Tech is definitely gonna be good now!" However, there was certainly a sense of curiosity...  more like, "Hmm, I wonder how he'll do as the head coach, instead of just the O.C." 

I will say that his early run at Tech threatened to upset the apple cart. If the Tech leadership hadn't run him off, I could see them being a Big XII powerhouse right now. 

2 hours ago, AKA said:

I seem to recall his reputation being more of an offensive savant than the eccentric character he is now. Outside of the coaching fraternity, Big XII followers (or just people who watched CFB closely), Mike Leach was only known for brief OC jobs at Kentucky and OU. 

But I don't recall anyone saying, "Oh man, Texas Tech is definitely gonna be good now!" However, there was certainly a sense of curiosity...  more like, "Hmm, I wonder how he'll do as the head coach, instead of just the O.C." 

I will say that his early run at Tech threatened to upset the apple cart. If the Tech leadership hadn't run him off, I could see them being a Big XII powerhouse right now. 

That's good to know! I've been seeing fans from other SEC West schools saying even with Leach, Miss State wont be much of a threat. I'm not sure I can agree with that. I believe he's capable of doing good things there. All it takes is him finding his QB.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stoney said:

How did Leach get to Tech after one year at Oklahoma? Did the offense show that much improvement under him in one year? 

Josh Heupel broke the OU record for passing yards in a season during Leach's first year. It served notice that he was a guy who could come into a place and turn things around in a hurry, which is exactly what Tech needed after running Spike Dykes off (yeah yeah, I know that he retired). 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I can't believe no one has posted about this.  I think it's stupid.  We've all made jokes about being locked up with our spouses, and while I'm no longer married due to things I'd rather not talk about I don't see the harm in this.  I realize a noose has connotations with some, but this is going beyond being "woke".  I think Coach Leach was trying to bring some laughter to the situation, and laughter is always a good thing in my opinion.  I would rather laugh than cry, and I realize this is dark humor, but c'mon this is ridiculous.  https://www.aol.com/article/news/2020/04/07/mississippi-state-player-decides-to-transfer-after-mike-leachs-controversial-tweet/23972380/  .