James Bowie Pirates at Overton Mustangs

Ronster23

Simms-Bowie at Overton  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

The Mustangs took one on the chin last week vs a big Union Grove team...can they regroup and get a win at home vs the James Bowie Pirates.

Bowie was open last week.

Bowie has a tall Sr QB 6-3/195... plus some hefty OL, two listed at 5-11/230 and one at 6-3/235.

The Mustangs OL has decent size, but a couple of newcomers to full varsity playing time...5-11/245, 5-8/200, 5-11/250, 5-10/285, & 5-11/320...those newbies have got to come along for the Mustangs to be successful and generate some much needed offense production that was missing last week.

Mustangs are still breaking in two new QB's 5-8/160 and 6-1/150...and both may get a lot of reps this week.

RB's are hoping to see those gaps opened this week...they go 5-11/160, 5-10/170, 5-9/185, & 5-9/170.

WR's are certainly hoping for the QB's to have those needed seconds to get off the passes...they go 6-4/180, 6-2/155, 5-6/155, 6-1/165, 5-9/155, & 5-6/135.

Defensively, the Stangs have to do much better than last week...still were breaking in some new kiddos and it showed.

They have one huge DL player that can mess things up if he gets rolling, 5-11/240 and another quick one at 5-8/180.

OLB's will have to contain Bowie on the edges and ILB's will have to plug the middle.

New DB's will have to dial it up and play smart.

I think Overton slides by in a close one this week and gets a much need W.

I think 30 unanswered points in 2nd half. 22 pts in 4 the qtr alone. THEN they don't want to come to film session on Saturday morning b/c they know they're gonna get called out. I say bench them...play the underclassmen. Probably get a better effort.

Just curious..... Could this have something to do with the "coach" from Overton applying for like 15 jobs in the offseason?

IMO the sup. should have run him off after about #3. It's clear that he thought he had run out if talent and was jumping again. He is a jumper like big time.

• Like 1

Just curious..... Could this have something to do with the "coach" from Overton applying for like 15 jobs in the offseason?

IMO the sup. should have run him off after about #3. It's clear that he thought he had run out if talent and was jumping again. He is a jumper like big time.

No...he's as competitive as before...still coaches and teaches passionately...I've watched a lot of practices...he applied for better paying jobs...Overton's pay is not the best around, he's young and has two young children so I sure can't blame him for wanting to better himself financially...can you DTrump?

Several returning players did not return this year, all of them multi-year players and all district 1st team...one went to a different school for family reasons (parents having problems)...not real sure why the others did not play...heard many different things, but who really knows but them...they had several players come out that have either never played, or haven't played in the past few years...they are having to fill of those slots...anyone who really understands football, especially at the smallest school level's knows experience sure amounts to a lot...hopefully as the year progresses these "rookies" will mature and their football "intelligence" will increase.

• Like 2

Shots fired!

Maybe. But, I would think a winning record would help build the resumé. We just have too many kids who are wishy-washy about playing. Two all-district linemen didn't come back, last year's district newcomer of the year changed schools. Our main playmaker gone for disciplinary reasons. That along with a couple of key losses to graduation has us behind the eight ball. That many key losses at a 2A school can change everything. It seems all of that has the kids thinking their season is already over. You can see it in their body language.

• Like 1

No...he's as competitive as before...still coaches and teaches passionately...I've watched a lot of practices...he applied for better paying jobs...Overton's pay is not the best around, he's young and has two young children so I sure can't blame him for wanting to better himself financially...can you DTrump?

Several returning players did not return this year, all of them multi-year players and all district 1st team...one went to a different school for family reasons (parents having problems)...not real sure why the others did not play...heard many different things, but who really knows but them...they had several players come out that have either never played, or haven't played in the past few years...they are having to fill of those slots...anyone who really understands football, especially at the smallest school level's knows experience sure amounts to a lot...hopefully as the year progresses these "rookies" will mature and their football "intelligence" will increase.

IDC one way are another..... But does it look good to the players that he has applied for that many jobs? The answer is no from 3 parents I've talked to personally.

To hear players are not showing up for film is a strait loss of respect for the HC. No other way too put it.

IDC one way are another..... But does it look good to the players that he has applied for that many jobs? The answer is no from 3 parents I've talked to personally.

To hear players are not showing up for film is a strait loss of respect for the HC. No other way too put it

1) I think you do care or you wouldn't have brought it up...2) I really don't think the kids cared how many jobs he applied for be it 1 or 15...the real committed ones that went through summer workouts, those hot August mornings just wanted to play ball...if they did care, they've been through it before...longest a coach has stayed at Overton was 8 years...3) I was a tiny bit surprised that he applied so soon, but as a person who lives in the real world and as I stated before I can completely understand, from a financial standpoint...and I told him that face to face...told him I'd love to have a coach stay a while, but I understand...heck, I had 2 HC in my playing years...4) maybe those 3 parents (and I'm assuming it three individual people and not 3 sets of parents, correct me if I'm wrong) are they saying their kids said this?...are these parents of those who decided not to play?...I'd love to talk with them and really get their viewpoint...like I stated, I can fully relate to him desiring a pay increase and moving up the ladder, that is plain old human nature and four of the five levels of Maslow's hierarchy of needs (Google it if you haven't heard of it, I learned it in college)... 5) he didn't get any of those jobs (though I understand he was a finalist for one) and like I stated earlier, I never saw a lack of passion in doing his job here...6) from what I understand and found out in talking to one of the players today, he only named 3 players who didn't show up Saturday for film who were starters...one of those had a funeral (oh my let's bench him) another wasn't there and they went and picked him up...one didn't come (one of those rookies) and I heard from one of the dad's that he heard that kid was home online playing video games during film session...in questioning the player I spoke with it was not the starters,other than the funeral one and the video playing one, were missing...I named off all the defensive starters and only one was not there that he could recall...should they all be, yes if at all possible and it is disrespectful, but not to the HC as much as to their teammates...7) Lastly, I don't know who you are...if you're from Overton or just an antagonist (a person who actively opposes or is hostile to someone or something) in this situation from another town who has had the luxury of a long tenured HC...don't know if you even have as they say "a dog in this fight"...perhaps you're just expressing your opinion like me...and like all opinions everyone has them...doesn't make mine, or yours right.

• Like 1