College Coaching Carousel 2017

MrBuddyGarrity

Yes, Coach.... His dates are off a little bit, but the fact remains.

He could also have added Houston Nutt's name to Arkansas. He had them doing good things considering what position Arkansas is in, yet people constantly called for him to be fired. They did fire him and made a big splash hire with Petrino, but when he couldn't stay out of his secretary, they lost him and have fallen way off.

That's one of my reasons behind not firing Coach Sumlin. He's consistently won 8 games... In a disappointing manner each season after having started 6-0 in a lot of them, sure, but he's still winning 8 games (although I see that changing this season). Not worth $5 million, but he does have us consistent. We fire him, we could regress big time as you've seen happen to so many programs who get rid of coaches who are solid.

Heck, Nebraska fired Frank Solich after he went 10-3 (had won 12, 11, and 10 games in 3 of the 4 seasons prior), and they STILL haven't had as good a winning percentage in a season since then.

I see what your saying here but the question remains- Can Sumlin get the program to a consistent top 5 or 10 team like most of the Aggie followers want?

I see what your saying here but the question remains- Can Sumlin get the program to a consistent top 5 or 10 team like most of the Aggie followers want?

I dunno, man. He's building a nice little team that'll mature in a year and will have had his current staff for another year, so I think we'll be a very strong team next season. Now, as far as consistently getting to the top 5 or 10? I don't know. If he could win 8-9 games every year with a 10-11 win season every few years, I'd be more than okay with that. There are hella programs and only a few can be consistent top 5 teams. When you consider schools like Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, and others are already there, it's tough to crack into that brotherhood of teams. A&M isn't and has never been a huge powerhouse program. But if we can consistently finish in the top 20 with a top 10/5 finish every few years, I'd say Coach Sumlin is doing a good job.

I dunno, man. He's building a nice little team that'll mature in a year and will have had his current staff for another year, so I think we'll be a very strong team next season. Now, as far as consistently getting to the top 5 or 10? I don't know. If he could win 8-9 games every year with a 10-11 win season every few years, I'd be more than okay with that. There are hella programs and only a few can be consistent top 5 teams. When you consider schools like Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, and others are already there, it's tough to crack into that brotherhood of teams. A&M isn't and has never been a huge powerhouse program. But if we can consistently finish in the top 20 with a top 10/5 finish every few years, I'd say Coach Sumlin is doing a good job.

I would agree although IMO his salary is still a little high.

Peyton!! Lol

Lane Kiffen :o

If you guys think Bob Stoops will give up getting paid six figures to play golf with boosters, in order to take the thankless job of coaching a mediocre program in the SEC... I've got some oceanfront property in Oklahoma City to sell you.

"Regardless of what you might hear out there in the papers, if I intended again to coach that would have been part of my statement,” said Stoops, who retired in June after 18 seasons at Oklahoma. “I would have said, ‘I’m stepping away here now for this time for myself, but when it comes to the next year or two, I look forward to getting back in it.’
But that’s not what I said. You won’t see me on a college sideline or a pro sideline. A lot of people act like they know, and there will be more than a few jobs out there. But that isn’t at all what I’m looking to do."

Butch Jones is a decent mid level program coach. He can't handle a name Power 5 school unless it was a bottom feeder like Kansas or Vanderbilt. That 4 year run with Josh Dobbs was the most over hyped, biggest failures to achieve in recent memory. Florida was down. Georgia was down. South Carolina was down. He couldn't beat a weak East to even get to a conference championship game.

Really surprised Tennessee hasn't made a move yet.

• Like 1

The SEC and SEC ridiculous expectations has killed everyone in the league...

How the SEC lost its edge on the rest of college football (Pat Forde):

National champion head coaches aren’t all cut from the same cloth. Bob Stoops and Dabo Swinney were career assistants before they took over at Oklahoma and Clemson, respectively. Pete Carroll was an NFL flunkout before USC. Jim Tressel made the leap from Youngstown State to Ohio State.

But here’s what you should know about the last four SEC coaches to win national titles: They all came into the league with a level of experience that suggested they were up for the job. Saban went from Michigan State to LSU; Miles went from Oklahoma State to LSU; Meyer had an undefeated, top-five team at Utah before Florida; even Chizik had cut his teeth in the Big 12. Of the current 13 coaches not named Nick Saban, none arrived with comparable credentials.
The current SEC cast of coaches has a combined 2-32 record against Saban. They not only aren’t on his level, they aren’t close.

IBd8XPA.jpg

• Like 3

Who would be your pick to replace him Buddy?

Fire Jeff Long first, then Bert, then throw the bank at Petrino or Petersen. At this point I wouldn't be opposed to having Les Miles, at least I know we would start getting some A1 talent with Les at the helm, might lose 2 games due to time management or poor QB development but its better than what Bert & comp is doing.

• Like 2

• Mr. P changed the title to College Coaching Carousel 2017