College Coaching Carousel 2017

MrBuddyGarrity

Fire Jeff Long first, then Bert, then throw the bank at Petrino or Petersen. At this point I wouldn't be opposed to having Les Miles, at least I know we would start getting some A1 talent with Les at the helm, might lose 2 games due to time management or poor QB development but its better than what Bert & comp is doing.

If Bilema has been recruiting to cater to the running game then Les would be a great fit

Fire Jeff Long first, then Bert, then throw the bank at Petrino or Petersen. At this point I wouldn't be opposed to having Les Miles, at least I know we would start getting some A1 talent with Les at the helm, might lose 2 games due to time management or poor QB development but its better than what Bert & comp is doing.

Petrino wants out of the Louisville debacle. The problem is Tennessee may grab him first.

Peterson said he wanted some more tv coverage. Well, come to the sec and you will get it!

• Like 1

Peterson's not going to leave Washington...he has it rolling up there. He has an easier route to the final four and it's a nice area in Seattle despite the weirdos...especially when you have $.

Petrino would be the guy everybody should be going after...A&M, Tennessee...too bad Arky you lost on him. Throw the cash at him...history of winning says he will do the job for your program!!! 113-45 = .715 winning %

Peterson's not going to leave Washington...he has it rolling up there. He has an easier route to the final four and it's a nice area in Seattle despite the weirdos...especially when you have $.

Petrino would be the guy everybody should be going after...A&M, Tennessee...too bad Arky you lost on him. Throw the cash at him...history of winning says he will do the job for your program!!! 113-45 = .715 winning %

Peterson had it Rolling at Boise too. I know it wasnt a top paying job, but he was breaking barriers and could have possibly crashed the playoffs at the rate they were going

• Like 2

Peterson had it Rolling at Boise too. I know it wasnt a top paying job, but he was breaking barriers and could have possibly crashed the playoffs at the rate they were going

Uh huge difference between Washington and Boise...Washington is actually a richer school than Tennessee, financially.

Washington has $2.968 Billion to work with

Tennessee has $1.109 Billion that means they need to brew a lot more moonshine...

• Like 1

Uh huge difference between Washington and Boise...Washington is actually a richer school than Tennessee, financially.

Washington has $2.968 Billion to work with

Tennessee has $1.109 Billion that means they need to brew a lot more moonshine...

Washington is a solid program with a not-unimpressive tradition. As you mentioned, the college has more than adequate resources to keep any coach happy. Petersen is a total West Coast guy, so I doubt there's any program east of Colorado that could even remotely tempt him. No reason why he won't finish his career there... unless the Seahawks come calling. :wacko:

Hmm... the Huskies... I've always respected that program. I'm thinkin' if OU continues to flounder, I may just become a t-shirt "U-dub" fan. :lol:

Too bad for all the SEC schools won't get him because he won't leave the Great NW as he has a sickly child that has the right care facility/doctors for her illness where they're at currently.

Not sure if anyone else has posted about this but that's the situation as it pertains to the Peterson family.

Carry on....

Too bad for all the SEC schools won't get him because he won't leave the Great NW as he has a sickly child that has the right care facility/doctors for her illness where they're at currently.

Not sure if anyone else has posted about this but that's the situation as it pertains to the Peterson family.

Carry on....

It was mentioned a lot when we were throwing out replacements for Mack and a few other times for Sumlin over the years

Carry on....

He's not going to uproot his family, but I just don't think Tennessee or any of the SEC schools can money-whip Washington...they aren't Boise State or Fresno State...they are a dog gone top notch Pac 12 school...higher on the pecking order out there than Tennessee or Arkansas.

Some of the things I see on here are similar to the "trailer park" calls I hear daily on Paul Finebaum, where the hillbillies think football is only played in the SEC and Alabama/Tennessee/Georgia/Florida. It's goofy as heck. Guess what, good football is played a ton of other places...better football. Good football coaches don't give a rip about those hillbillies moonshining everyday and wearing their newest jersey to church on Sunday. Ba bee ba bee ba bee...football, throw the benjamins

He's not going to uproot his family, but I just don't think Tennessee or any of the SEC schools can money-whip Washington...they aren't Boise State or Fresno State...they are a dog gone top notch Pac 12 school...higher on the pecking order out there than Tennessee or Arkansas.

Some of the things I see on here are similar to the "trailer park" calls I hear daily on Paul Finebaum, where the hillbillies think football is only played in the SEC and Alabama/Tennessee/Georgia/Florida. It's goofy as heck. Guess what, good football is played a ton of other places...better football. Good football coaches don't give a rip about those hillbillies moonshining everyday and wearing their newest jersey to church on Sunday. Ba bee ba bee ba bee...football, throw the benjamins

See that is where you are wrong... The SEC has the most schools WILLING to throw that kind of money at a coach like that. It was reported (accurate or not) that Texas was willing to pay Saban $10mil to come to Austin. Believe me, if an SEC school wanted him, they would outbid Washington... but what Randy is saying is that Peterson is not about the money, he never has been. That is why he stayed at Boise as long as he did... and he waited until they were in a good spot to leave for Washington. It's not like he didn't have great offers before Washington came calling...

I am sure you are trying to play up the "you are from Highland Park" thing against us redneck East Texans. but it has been proven over and over again that the SEC will pay more than almost anyone to get who they want... even when its not needed (LSU with Orgereon, A&M with Sumlin, etc etc etc)... Washington just offers more for him and his family and i commend him for it.

• Like 1

I'm a lifelong East Texas boy, so I totally have no snobbery towards East Texans. I have disdain for the thought that schools like Tennessee, South Carolina, or Arkansas that have done NOTHING in football would actually be an A#1 ATTRACTION that a coach would drop everything to go to.

Just look at this past off-season when LSU and Texas went against each other for Tom Herman...that did not come down to money. Texas is the better prime-time school...though LSU is good.

When Arkansas when after Bret Bielema, the better move would have been to money whip Barry Alvarez and try to bring him out of semi-retirement (the AD's office)...he was the star coach in Wisconsin.

If Tennessee was against Texas A&M for a coach...I think a coach would have a mental deficiency if he left College Station without signing a contract.

See that is where you are wrong... The SEC has the most schools WILLING to throw that kind of money at a coach like that. It was reported (accurate or not) that Texas was willing to pay Saban $10mil to come to Austin. Believe me, if an SEC school wanted him, they would outbid Washington... but what Randy is saying is that Peterson is not about the money, he never has been. That is why he stayed at Boise as long as he did... and he waited until they were in a good spot to leave for Washington. It's not like he didn't have great offers before Washington came calling...

I am sure you are trying to play up the "you are from Highland Park" thing against us redneck East Texans. but it has been proven over and over again that the SEC will pay more than almost anyone to get who they want... even when its not needed (LSU with Orgereon, A&M with Sumlin, etc etc etc)... Washington just offers more for him and his family and i commend him for it.

So that proves why LSU didn't geaux $6m/year on Herman and settled for ceauxch eaux?

Jimbo fisher is still in Tallahassee

Ole miss, Tennessee, Arkansas and a small possibility that Florida/aTm might be hiring. Bring this back up when they've all hired and let's see if the sec really has schools willing to pay more for known commodities.

My guess is Peterson gets an raise/extension at Washington, franklin does too at Penn St.

• Like 1

Ole miss, Tennessee, Arkansas and a small possibility that Florida/aTm might be hiring. Bring this back up when they've all hired and let's see if the sec really has schools willing to pay more for known commodities.

My guess is Peterson gets an raise/extension at Washington, franklin does too at Penn St.

I think at the big schools, the extensions have become a normal thing to just add on to the contract and get the average yearly salary up to whatever "position/rank" nationally they want to be.

I think in the SEC, you have Alabama on a rung obviously where they have Saban and can do whatever. Then at a couple rungs down, realistically, you have Auburn, A&M, Georgia, LSU, and Florida. Of those LSU would nose out the others, but A&M has more money (about $20 B) to do with and amazing recruiting and facilities. Florida will spend, spend on a coach as will A&M, more than the others because they have direct competition in-state with recruiting and fans with Texas (TCU growing) and Florida State (Miami gaining again). The other schools fall down below that in the SEC and will not spend in the same manner because in reality, they don't have the faith that they can EVER jump the big boys. The university presidents that have to write the initial checks get queasy tummies when they think of the promises and then go with the younger, cheaper guy and pray for something good to stick to the wall.

• Like 1

I'm a lifelong East Texas boy, so I totally have no snobbery towards East Texans. I have disdain for the thought that schools like Tennessee, South Carolina, or Arkansas that have done NOTHING in football would actually be an A#1 ATTRACTION that a coach would drop everything to go to.

Just look at this past off-season when LSU and Texas went against each other for Tom Herman...that did not come down to money. Texas is the better prime-time school...though LSU is good.

When Arkansas when after Bret Bielema, the better move would have been to money whip Barry Alvarez and try to bring him out of semi-retirement (the AD's office)...he was the star coach in Wisconsin.

If Tennessee was against Texas A&M for a coach...I think a coach would have a mental deficiency if he left College Station without signing a contract.

Herman to LSU was only to get Texas to offer... He wanted the Texas job. It was better for him and could pay or match anything LSU would offer. Herman recruited Texas well, and he would have been fine at LSU, but Texas had more of his type of players than LSU did and there is no doubt in my mind that Herman had a Texas heart... I do not think that it came down to the prestige of either school, I just think that he already knew where he wanted to go and him and his agent forced UT's hand.

Now as far as Tennessee... they could come up with the money, so could Arkansas... BUT, huge BUT, what do they offer other than money that would bring Peterson there? It would be a total rebuild for either teams, implementing his staff, scheme etc and more pressure to WIN NOW... Because, let's be honest, some of us who are fans of SEC schools have unrealistic expectations for our schools... Sure, Peterson built Washington in ?what? 3 years? Butch Jones has had 3 seasons with 9+ wins and Tennessee fans hate him. Bret Bilema has done ok, but has not lived up to expectations... what those expectations were in a division where everyone but Mississippi State out-recruits them is unknown to me...

I can only see the schools with the richest of traditions even getting him to answer the phone to lure him away (Bama, Texas, USC, etc.) but I still don't see him leaving. But yeah, I get what you are saying now... Those schools may have him on their list, but the list is an unrealistic one... Tennessee should keep Butch Jones another year then try to snag someone like Major Applewhite (not him specifically) and let a young coach grow his roots there and work their way up...

But it won't happen... they will overpay and looks stupid with another Lane Kiffen type hire.

If I were Arkansas, I would fire Bret and hire Les... that's just me though

Herman to LSU was only to get Texas to offer... He wanted the Texas job. It was better for him and could pay or match anything LSU would offer. Herman recruited Texas well, and he would have been fine at LSU, but Texas had more of his type of players than LSU did and there is no doubt in my mind that Herman had a Texas heart... I do not think that it came down to the prestige of either school, I just think that he already knew where he wanted to go and him and his agent forced UT's hand.

Now as far as Tennessee... they could come up with the money, so could Arkansas... BUT, huge BUT, what do they offer other than money that would bring Peterson there? It would be a total rebuild for either teams, implementing his staff, scheme etc and more pressure to WIN NOW... Because, let's be honest, some of us who are fans of SEC schools have unrealistic expectations for our schools... Sure, Peterson built Washington in ?what? 3 years? Butch Jones has had 3 seasons with 9+ wins and Tennessee fans hate him. Bret Bilema has done ok, but has not lived up to expectations... what those expectations were in a division where everyone but Mississippi State out-recruits them is unknown to me...

I can only see the schools with the richest of traditions even getting him to answer the phone to lure him away (Bama, Texas, USC, etc.) but I still don't see him leaving. But yeah, I get what you are saying now... Those schools may have him on their list, but the list is an unrealistic one... Tennessee should keep Butch Jones another year then try to snag someone like Major Applewhite (not him specifically) and let a young coach grow his roots there and work their way up...

But it won't happen... they will overpay and looks stupid with another Lane Kiffen type hire.

Fenves and Perrin had been in talks with Herman before strong was fired. They even said so. They had already gauged his interest and knew they had him in their pocket. Lsu was interested, thus the reason they contacted Herman.

Evidently sec A&M has been in contact because franklin just tweeted about it. His tweet said 1. I'm from PA 2. #3 ranked team 3. #3 ranked class. #really?

I think that's what this conversation should be about. Not "willing to pay", but realistic chances...

I think at the big schools, the extensions have become a normal thing to just add on to the contract and get the average yearly salary up to whatever "position/rank" nationally they want to be.

I think in the SEC, you have Alabama on a rung obviously where they have Saban and can do whatever. Then at a couple rungs down, realistically, you have Auburn, A&M, Georgia, LSU, and Florida. Of those LSU would nose out the others, but A&M has more money (about $20 B) to do with and amazing recruiting and facilities. Florida will spend, spend on a coach as will A&M, more than the others because they have direct competition in-state with recruiting and fans with Texas (TCU growing) and Florida State (Miami gaining again). The other schools fall down below that in the SEC and will not spend in the same manner because in reality, they don't have the faith that they can EVER jump the big boys. The university presidents that have to write the initial checks get queasy tummies when they think of the promises and then go with the younger, cheaper guy and pray for something good to stick to the wall. Right on. Good assessment!

I think in the SEC, you have Alabama on a rung obviously where they have Saban and can do whatever. Then at a couple rungs down, realistically, you have Auburn, A&M, Georgia, LSU, and Florida. Of those LSU would nose out the others, but A&M has more money (about $20 B) to do with and amazing recruiting and facilities. Florida will spend, spend on a coach as will A&M, more than the others because they have direct competition in-state with recruiting and fans with Texas (TCU growing) and Florida State (Miami gaining again). The other schools fall down below that in the SEC and will not spend in the same manner because in reality, they don't have the faith that they can EVER jump the big boys. The university presidents that have to write the initial checks get queasy tummies when they think of the promises and then go with the younger, cheaper guy and pray for something good to stick to the wall. Right on. Good assessment!

Right on.

I agree with a ton of what you're saying! I too think Miles would be a solid move for Arkansas...not a national championship move because he makes some silly mistakes, but he'll have you a great team that is somewhere near the top of the SEC for the first time.

I agree as well on your thoughts on Tennessee and that they should get a young up and comer and stick with them (like an Applewhite)...but I too think they'll jump the gun and continue to be unhappy being third rung in the SEC. Soon we'll probably see another round of expansion talk and what the heck would they do if Texas/TCU/Florida State/Miami came into the SEC (despite A&M's compalints).

• Mr. P changed the title to College Coaching Carousel 2017