Texas Rangers 2017/2018 Offseason

Stoney

Fister went 16-6 with a 2.41 ERA in 2014. Since then the 33 year old righty's ERA has ballooned from 4.19 to 4.88 while his wins have gone from 5 to 12 to 5. One year deal for $4m with a option for 2019. Could be Cashner or could be Ross. JD's reclamation project shop is open for business this offseason.

Wow!!! Rangers have non tendered (cut) AJ Griffin, Chi Chi Gonzalez and Nick Martinez. That's  2/5 of your rotation from last year gone and a AAAA starter. 

Your 2018 rotation so far: Cole Hamels, Martin Perez, Doug Fister

Is Yohander Mendez, the big young lefty, going to fill one of those spots? Is JD going all in on Otani? Are Lance Lynn and Alex Cobb the better way to go? 

Per Ken Rosenthal.

#Rangers were among many teams on Mikolas, per source. Wanted him in addition to Minor, whom they are in agreement with, and Ohtani, whom they are pursuing. Idea was to build six-man rotation, as @Evan_P_Grant mentioned today. Still could happen if they add another SP.

Hmmm. Rangers looking at a 6 man rotation? That could lead to a interesting offseason. Hamels, Perez and Fister appear to be locks. Mendez could fill that 6th spot. You need a 2,3 or 3,4 depending on how you look at Perez. If Mendez isn't ready your looking at 3 starters needed.

Mike Minor was a solid pickup. Lefty reliever who can stretch to a starter. Minor, Deikman a year removed from intestinal surgery and Claudio gives us on paper a good lefty pen matchup.

12 minutes ago, THSfanatic said:

That is a nice pickup.   Especially if the can use him as a reliever. Not so sure as a starter.

If we can sign a real closer, add maybe another piece or two the pen should be better on paper.

4 minutes ago, THSfanatic said:

Sounds like a small list    lol

Depends on how much grocery money gives JD. We either gotta spend on a FA CF or go with DeSheilds and a platoon. We need a closer unless Claudio and his 80mph fastball are gonna do it again. This talk of a 6 man rotation has us needing 3 starters on paper, more to replace the guys non tendered and for depth. Is Gallo your 1B or LF? Your gonna need one or both. A right handed bat off the bench to replace Napoli. A catcher to team up with Chirinos. Need bullpen arms. If you deal Profar for prospects your gonna need infield help. That's a lot of money being either spent on quality, going for lotto tickets or dealing prospects.

This is a team that if things break right could be a Wild Card team but with that many holes? I don't see it. JD would have to have a MLB The Show-like free agent haul. Davis has said the payroll would be scaled back. How far back since he got his new stadium? My fear is Ryan, heck even Greenberg leaving may have left Texas in the hands of a Scrooge McDuck, it's all about the dollar not the Standings.

48 minutes ago, stoneykelly said:

My fear is Ryan, heck even Greenberg leaving may have left Texas in the hands of a Scrooge McDuck, it's all about the dollar not the Standings.

Just to keep a conversation going.....do you really think that? The Rangers have been pretty heavy spenders and I would submit that is part of the problem. Bringing in high dollar FAs IMO is a bad idea unless you are at the summit which Texas absolutely was a couple of years ago. There is always a price to pay later (unless you are NY, LA, or Boston) and the due date is here.  That's not a knock on the Rangers. They were right there and you can't blame them, but Fielder and Choo especially has crippled you guys. Its a risk to shell out them bucks.

Here is an interesting stat on the payrolls for next year. You guys are paying 20M+ for Fielder & Napoli. I'm not even gonna mention A Rod. You gotta stop at some point and build from the bottom

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/payroll/

Confirming @Sullivan_Ranger report on #Rangers' interest in Zack Greinke. The Rangers would need the deal with Arizona to include Shin-Soo Choo and the $63 million he's owed the next three seasons to offset the $138.5 million owed to Greinke the next four.

On 12/12/2017 at 8:44 PM, stoneykelly said:

I do think it's interesting that there has been no talk, at all, of Darvish coming back to the Rangers since the days right after the World Series when he was being bashed.

4 hours ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

I do think it's interesting that there has been no talk, at all, of Darvish coming back to the Rangers since the days right after the World Series when he was being bashed.

It makes you wonder if Darvish leaving might have been a addition by subtraction move. If what Gimenez said is true it makes Darvish sound like he had clubhouse issues. I’ll add another wrinkle to that and say that JD has been told to cut payroll and will not add a huge $100m+ player in free agency. We’re gonna see JD’s patented reclamation projects in the pen and on the bump. He’s been active in Rule V draft adding a OF. I’d expect a couple Mike Napoli like one year deals to round out the lineup. We could be looking at a rebuild for the new ballpark.