Van @ Brownsboro

Ringside

Van vs. Brownsboro  

26 members have voted

1. 1. How will this one turn out?

Obvious pick is Van from an outside perspective. These programs have a long history and there have been some very exciting games played between them. The Bears will be amped up to play this game, but Van will be the best team by far they have faced this year. Will be fun for sure and should draw a good crowd.

15-27-1 over the years advantage Van, Van has won 12 out of the last 13 years against the Bears with the Bears winning in 2006. New coach new direction for the Bears, but Van has won every game this year and none have been close. Bears could be in for a long night from them pesky Vandals.

• Like 1

Considering the bears past history this decade, the fact one of their games is on the first page of Smoaky is progress of large proportions.

I will say this about this group of kids. If the current staff had coached and weight trained this group even a full year, Van would not be heavily favored. Of course that is easy to say as things are as they are😊

Van's defense, a quick look. Last weeks win against Crandall had Van's defense I believe providing the offense with 5 turnovers and one score. The offense put up 28. Who do you need more from, the offense or defense? Let's not even bring up Princeton. Athens team this year was 2-3 this year while losing two of their games by 3 or less, the could easily have been 4-1.The 2016 Athens team was 1-4 and losing by several touchdowns in all their loses. This 2017 Athens team is much better than last years. I would also say Athens last two scores last night were trash points. I'm happy with both sides of the ball, if play continues like it is now, Van should go 10-0. A good season if you ask me.

Good atmosphere at B-boro...no track so the stands are right on the field just like Athens...so makes for a fun environment for the everyone. B-boro has pulled out some close wins..with a loss from a very improved Spring Hill team this year..I got Van winning by 21+ With a lot added to the plus and it could get ugly by the end of the 3rd quarter..

I've seen a couple of hits on my post about defense... I'm a firm believer in that defense wins championships! I know we are young on that side of the ball and I just want to continue to see our defense come of age. Our offense is rolling so I'm just hoping our defense keeps improving each week so we will be able to make a great run at the championship.

• Like 1

22 points scored on Van at home is somewhat encouraging. Looked like halftime adjustments took care of the problem. They may have been overlooking Athens. Am hoping they underestimate this Bear team too but I don't expect it. Just hope the Bears can slow down the Vandals offense enough to not be embarrassed by it. And it is football with teenagers. Anything can happen.

I expect the Bears to come out fired up with guns blazing. It's going to be tough to beat Van but it will be close in the first half. The Vandal defense rises to every challenge and those kids are scrappy. I thought the offense came together last week and the OC called a great game. Van established a running game without getting the QB beat to death and connected on short passes. This set up the long ball. The offense was on fire last week and those receivers showed us all what they are made of. No drops and big play capable from them all. The O-line was a wall. This combination is hard to defend for any high school defense. The Vandal offense also puts great pressure on the opponents offense to keep up. Seems like every week it's close and then Van jumps out by 14. I don't think the Bears have faced an offense like Van this year so this will be a good test for them. I think the Bears may have a playoff team this year and I expect them to test our defense. I think Van gets 49 and Bears 35. Van needs to stay focused and get better every week. They have the tallent to go 10-0 but do they have the focus.

Watched some of the Van Athens action

Athens speed gave Van trouble early, but Van can really spread the ball around. The Bears best chance for defense will be to shorten the game with long clock eating drives and come away with points. And then they will need a break or two. Van offense very hard to slow down. I am betting this will be the largest crowd in years for this one.

Watched some of the Van Athens action

Athens speed gave Van trouble early, but Van can really spread the ball around. The Bears best chance for defense will be to shorten the game with long clock eating drives and come away with points. And then they will need a break or two. Van offense very hard to slow down. I am betting this will be the largest crowd in years for this one.

Yep, I agree with that. Athens ate up 2/3 of the 1st qtr the first series. Did a good job of playing keep away for awhile at least. Van D is young but well coached and are relentless so eventually got the stops. Van Offense doesn't need much time to score so opponents offense doesn't get much time to rest. You're right though, the Bears best defense could be their ability to control the ball and clock on offense. Be interesting to see how well they can do it. Sometimes easier said than done.

Yep, I agree with that. Athens ate up 2/3 of the 1st qtr the first series. Did a good job of playing keep away for awhile at least. Van D is young but well coached and are relentless so eventually got the stops. Van Offense doesn't need much time to score so opponents offense doesn't get much time to rest. You're right though, the Bears best defense could be their ability to control the ball and clock on offense. Be interesting to see how well they can do it. Sometimes easier said than done.

Funny that you used the word

"Relentless" to describe Van's defense. That word is all over T shirts and signs in Bboro this year. It is a tag word brought in by the new coaching staff. For the Bears to have any chance Friday for an upset, they need to buy into that attitude this week tenfold from what they have done thus far. And they have bought in pretty well to this point.