Week Eight: North Mesquite at Longview

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (5-1) vs North Mesquite Stallions (3-3)  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • North Mesquite in a close one
    • North Mesquite in a blow out

longview.pngnorthmesquite.png

LONGVIEW LOBOS (5-1, 2-1) VS NORTH MESQUITE STALLIONS (3-3, 1-2)

DATE: Friday, October 20th, 2017
TIME: 7:30 PM
LONGVIEW BROADCAST: 106.5 JACK FM
NORTH MESQUITE BROADCAST: 88.5 FM KEOM

longview.pngLOBOS LEAD SERIES 9-3-0 longview.png
The Stallions have a 2-1 lead when the game is a non-district contest.
The Lobos have a 8-1 lead when the game is a district contest.
The two schools have never played a playoff contest.
The two schools have never played at a neutral location.
The Lobos have a 4-2 lead when the game is played at Longview.
The Lobos have a 5-1 lead when the game is played at North Mesquite.
Longview has won the last 4 contests against the Stallions.
Longview is 4-1 all-time against North Mesquite at Lobo Stadium (new), winning the last 4 meetings there.
The two schools have never played on October 20th.

LAST FIVE GAMES IN SERIES
10.14.2016 - Longview 49, North Mesquite 35 - Mesquite Memorial Stadium
10.25.2013 - Longview 37, North Mesquite 22 - Mesquite Memorial Stadium
10.26.2012 - Longview 52, North Mesquite 3 - Lobo Stadium
10.21.2011 - Longview 49, North Mesquite 13 - Lobo Stadium
10.22.2010 - North Mesquite 24, Longview 14 - Mesquite Memorial Stadium
FULL GAME LOG

GAME PREVIEW & SERIES REVIEW
And finally, the bye week is over. The stretch run to the 2017 playoffs finally gets back underway this week after the entire district enjoyed a week off from action. It was a much needed week off for the Lobos of Longview after suffering numerous injuries through the first 6 weeks of the season (and even stretching into two days and the scrimmage week). But before they took the week off, Longview enjoyed a much needed and extremely important victory over the Rockwall Yellowjackets, 31-21. The Lobos lead throughout the game, grabbing a 24-7 lead late into the 3rd quarter before the Jackets crawled back into the game in the 4th. A second interception by Jalen Carr ended any doubt who would win the game. Carr ended the night with three picks overall. The win for Longview improved the Lobos to 5-1 on the season with four big games remaining in North Mesquite, John Tyler, Rockwall Heath and Mesquite. The win marked Longview’s 7th consecutive victory over the Yellowjackets, and improved the Lobos to 4-0 all-time at Wilkerson-Sanders Memorial Stadium. Longview now turns it’s focus to North Mesquite, who is coming off a 7-point loss to Rockwall Heath and sits at 1-2 in district overall. The Lobos and Stallions meet for the 13th time, 10th in district play as the Lobos look to win their 5th in a row over the North Mesquite. Since falling to the Stallions in 2010, Longview has rolled up four convincing victories over North with the Lobo offense scoring at least 37 in all four of them. Longview is looking to win their 10th game against a single opponent for the 15th time in school history. The Stallions no doubt will be looking to turn the curse of Lobo Stadium as they look for their first win in Longview since 1988. North Mesquite’s been somewhat of a shock in district 11-6A so far this season. No doubt, most expected them to completely struggle and finish at the bottom of the standings. At one point, the Stallions sat at 3-1 on the season before a blow out loss to John Tyler and a single score loss to Heath brought them back to .500 overall. The John Tyler loss, 44-7, was really the only game they haven’t been in this year. While not expected to make the post season, the Stallions definitely will have their chance to get in as they still have Longview, Mesquite Horn and Rockwall left on their schedule. They probably would have to win at least two of those games to make it in. The Lobos will be looking to continue to improve, as they have following their big loss to Mesquite Horn. Since handing the reigns over to sophomore Haynes King, the Lobos are 2-0 overall with the offense averaging 42.5 points a game. For momentum, the playoff race and the district championship race, this week is a big one between Longview and North Mesquite.

WEEK EIGHT 11-6A SCHEDULE:
Longview vs North Mesquite (Lobo Stadium)
Mesquite Horn vs Rockwall (E.H. Handy Stadium)
Rockwall Heath vs John Tyler (Wilkerson-Sanders Memorial Stadium)
Tyler Lee vs Mesquite (Trinity Mother Frances Rose Stadium)

WEEK SIX 11-6A RESULTS:
Mesquite 14 John Tyler 29
North Mesquite 28 Rockwall Heath 35
Rockwall 21 Longview 31
Tyler Lee 28 Mesquite Horn 56

DISTRICT 11-6A STANDINGS
1st. Mesquite Horn (5-1, 3-0)
2nd. Rockwall Heath (5-1, 3-0)
3rd. Longview (5-1, 2-1)
4th. John Tyler (4-2, 2-1)
5th. North Mesquite (3-3, 1-2)
6th. Rockwall (2-4, 1-2)
7th. Tyler Lee (3-3, 0-3)
8th. Mesquite (1-5, 0-3)

LONGVIEW LOBOS
Record: 5-1 (2-1)
District: 11-6A
Coach: John King (144-35 in 14 seasons) (Playoffs: 31-13)
First Year of Football: 1909
All-Time Record: 700-340-52 (Playoffs: 59-40-1)
Playoff Appearances: 42
Last Playoff Appearance: 2016, 6A Division II Bi-District Round
State Championships (1): 1937 (1A)
State Championship Appearances (4): 1937 (1A), 1997 (5A D1), 2008 (4A D1), 2009 (4A D1)
SCHEDULE:
09.01 - vs Lufkin - Win 35-16
09.08 - vs Marshall - Win 41-7
09.15 - vs South Oak Cliff - Win 38-7
09.22 - at Mesquite Horn - Loss 52-34
09.29 - vs Tyler Lee - Win 54-26
10.06 - at Rockwall - Win 31-21
10.20 - vs North Mesquite
10.27 - at John Tyler
11.03 - vs Rockwall Heath
11.10 - at Mesquite

NORTH MESQUITE STALLIONS
Record: 3-3 (1-2)
District: 11-6A
Coach: Mike Robinson (49-55 in 11 seasons) (Playoffs: 2-2)
First Year of Football: 1970
All-Time Record: 297-190-11 (Playoffs: 12-15-1)
Playoff Appearances: 16
Last Playoff Appearance: 2015, 6A Division I Regional Round
State Championships (0): None
State Championship Appearances (0): None
SCHEDULE:
09.01- at Arlington Sam Houston - Loss 24-22
09.08 - v. Garland Lakeview Centennial (at Cotton Bowl) - Win 49-14
09.15 - vs Arlington Bowie - Win 49-45
09.22 - vs Mesquite - Win 39-24
09.29 - at John Tyler - Loss 44-7
10.06 - vs Rockwall Heath - Loss 35-28
10.20 - at Longview
10.27 - vs Mesquite Horn
11.03 - at Tyler Lee
11.09 - vs Rockwall

ON THIS DATE IN LOBO HISTORY: October 20th
In 1922, Longview High knocked off Mineola from Fair Park by a 20-6 scoreline.
In 1933, Mineola upset Longview 7-6 in Mineola. The loss was the only loss of the season for the Loboes.
In 1939, T.A. Scott ran for a touchdown and returned the 2nd half kickoff for a touchdown as Longview knocked off Texas High, 20-6, at City League Park in Texarkana.
In 1944, the Lobos knocked off Kilgore at R.E. St. John Memorial Stadium, 20-6
In 1950, Kilgore shutout the Lobos by a 13-0 scoreline at Kilgore. The loss marked the 2nd of 5 consecutive district losses for the Lobos as they finished last in the district.
In 1961, Don Petty opened the scoring and John Malone added two second half markers as Longview shutout Tyler Lee, 20-0, at Rose Stadium.
In 1967, Joe Miller caught a touchdown pass sandwiched between two Rodney Hill rushing touchdowns as the Lobos knocked off Lee, 21-0 in Tyler.
In 1972, Calvin Portley’s first quarter touchdown was all Longview would need in the end as the Lobos knocked off Palestine 28-0 at Luckett-Kolstad Field in Palestine.
In 1989, after a scoreline first half, the Lobos came alive at Abe Martin Stadium as the Lobos behind Kevin Madden,Dean Malone and Kim Wallace’s scores shutout the Pack, 17-0.
In 1995, Isiah Stoker tallied three times as the Lobos rushed for 334 yards total on the night in a 29-6 win over Nacogodches. Jeff Works added a 2nd quarter field goal and Eric Davis caught the game’s first touchdown pass.
In 2000, Longview threw for 314 yards but gave up 382 rushing yards as Derek Farmer tallied three times for the Red Raiders in a 42-28 victory for Tyler Lee over Longview. It was the 3rd of 5 straight wins for REL over the Lobos.
In 2006, Sherman Rosborough intercepted four Tyler Lee passes to set a school record as Jazmon Moon tallied twice in a 24-10 victory over Tyler Lee. Chris Lacy’s 93 yard kickoff return right after Tyler Lee had come back from down 10-0 in the 4th quarter was the difference maker.

lobohowl2.GIF

So I've made a mistake on our record.

I was trying to add things back up, because I was looking at record and I knew it didn't equal to the amount of games I have us officially playing (I have about 8 more games that I still have to confirm we've played). Anyways, I've spent about the last hour trying to figure out where the screw up was and I finally found it.

For some reason when I was adding them up by decade, I forgot to add 3 wins from the 50s into our record and hence, last night was not our 700th win. It was in fact our 703rd victory. Meaning our 700th win came again Marshall (which is pretty fitting to say the least).

• Like 1

This next week is going to go slow as possible.

Big games in Region II this week by district:

9-6A: Jesuit vs Dallas Skyline

10-6A: Rowlett vs Naaman Forest

12-6A: Beaumont West Brook vs The Woodlands

13-6A: Round Rock Stony Point vs Round Rock Cedar Ridge (literally every game in this district is big every week it feels)

14-6A: Austin Bowie vs Austin Del Valle

15-6A: Klein vs Klein Oak/Klein Collins vs Klein Forest

16-6A: Aldine Davis vs Spring

This next week is going to go slow as possible.

Big games in Region II this week by district:

9-6A: Jesuit vs Dallas Skyline

10-6A: Rowlett vs Naaman Forest

12-6A: Beaumont West Brook vs The Woodlands

13-6A: Round Rock Stony Point vs Round Rock Cedar Ridge (literally every game in this district is big every week it feels)

14-6A: Austin Bowie vs Austin Del Valle

15-6A: Klein vs Klein Oak/Klein Collins vs Klein Forest

16-6A: Aldine Davis vs Spring

Blargh

I know Coach King came to the A&M vs Alabama game with Haynes in tow simply because they had an off week and watching Alabama play is a treat that every football player can learn from. Always hate the off week, but I'm sure I'll find another game to listen to or something.

• Like 1

I SERIOUSLY had a dream that we SOMEHOW lost this game in baseball fashion to a score of:

North Mesquite: 8

Longview: 4

lol. Well we've only recorded two safeties in a game once in our history so you should be safe on that part not happening.

• Like 1

You're the best.

Remember 2007 against JT when we were down 6-3 and their punter made a HUGE mistake when he took the fumbled snap out of the end zone to give us the ball at their 2 instead of taking a safety and winning the game 6-5? As interesting of a score as that would've been, I'm glad it didn't happen.

Also one year Tyler Lee beat Dallas Kimball 3-2.... It might've been that same year.

We definitely escaped that year against John Tyler. I still have absolutely no idea what that punter was doing, even a decade later. I'd definitely have to research more but I can't imagine we have many wins with 5 turnovers in a game, but that was one of em.