Clarksville 35, Detroit 16

flukeshot

I can remember having a ice-cream float at the drugstore fountain when I was a kid.. The first Walmart they put in Clarksville put a serious hurt on the square. My granddaddy would take us kids to get haircuts around behind the other pharmacy (blackmans) I believe.. Man the memories of the square and all.. Long time ago, in a time that doesn't exist anymore.. Js

• Like 1

I can remember having a ice-cream float at the drugstore fountain when I was a kid.. The first Walmart they put in Clarksville put a serious hurt on the square. My granddaddy would take us kids to get haircuts around behind the other pharmacy (blackmans) I believe.. Man the memories of the square and all.. Long time ago, in a time that doesn't exist anymore.. Js

Same here brother. It was a great place to be from in the 60s and 70s. Fun being a teen then. Time has passed our little town by. I hate it. Still would love to retire out Dimple way. LOL

I believe the Wal-Mart in Clarksville, Texas, one of the first stores in Texas, closed in 2007 because of sagging sales.

I believe the Wal-Mart in Clarksville, Texas, one of the first stores in Texas, closed in 2007 because of sagging sales.

Yep, they built the first one, had building issues about ten years later, built another one about a half mile up the road.. Town economy collapsed, there are a few people you can blame that on, then wally world pulled out.. You could hear the suction when they left.. Js

Kind of off subject but was there a large industry that left town or just people moved on or what happened? First time I went there (about 12 years ago) I couldn't believe how large the "town" area was and they were just 1A (before UIL added an A) heck most of the schools in our district did good to have a dollar store!!

There have been more than one factory close down but those were actually years ago. The population of the town really hasn't dropped like the school enrollment. There are many kids with Clarksville addresses attending Detroit, Rivercrest, and Avery. Mostly Detroit though.

There have been more than one factory close down but those were actually years ago. The population of the town really hasn't dropped like the school enrollment. There are many kids with Clarksville addresses attending Detroit, Rivercrest, and Avery. Mostly Detroit though.

Yeah we went to Cville a few years back to play. As we came into the town I seen the population sign and said to my wife how the hell are they 2A? Ask security guard same question when we walked in. He said same thing you just did. That school is huge. Do they close parts off to keep utilities down. Sad as hell to me and I'm not even from there.

OhioState sir you can thank a certain MD for that!

Those are intitials btw

Yeah we went to Cville a few years back to play. As we came into the town I seen the population sign and said to my wife how the hell are they 2A? Ask security guard same question when we walked in. He said same thing you just did. That school is huge. Do they close parts off to keep utilities down. Sad as hell to me and I'm not even from there.

They no longer use the elementary school that i attended as a kid, the old middle school is now used as the elementary and all middle and high school students are at the high school.