What’s up with the Refs?

BEARDEDGOAT

5 hours ago, 3rdand5 said:

I usually don't say much about the refs. First they have problems keeping refs because of coaches and homer fans. I watched fans complain about every call made. Most don't know the rules it's just a reaction. But this year I will have to say I have seen a lot of no calls and many bad calls. Most of the crew seem confused and not sure of the rules. Chapters need to really work on there crews

"Their"...they need to work on their crews...

• Thumbs Down 1

12 hours ago, DieHardCubFan said:

Hey Crank, why don't you crawl out of the stands,  grab a whistle, put on the stripes & see what it is like to be an official? Too many arm-chair, Ed Bundy-types think they know everything about the job. Sign up with a local chapter in your area and take the required rules & mechanics exam. Let's see how you do.  You can even give the rules a try here on SDC under the "You Make the Call"  posts to text your actual knowledge (or lack thereof).

I don't have a AARP card for membership 

• LOL! 1

1 hour ago, DieHardCubFan said:

Hey Crank, why don't you crawl out of the stands,  grab a whistle, put on the stripes & see what it is like to be an official? Too many arm-chair, Ed Bundy-types think they know everything about the job. Sign up with a local chapter in your area and take the required rules & mechanics exam. Let's see how you do.  You can even give the rules a try here on SDC under the "You Make the Call"  posts to text your actual knowledge (or lack thereof).

You referring to the Al Bundy from Polk High?

We were 9 and 1 and 4A D1 so I'm not being a sore loser or wanting to bash refs but this was the worst season I have ever seen.  They don't seem to know all the rules and look confused a lot. They also seem to want to be overly involved in the game and way too many penalties called one sided.  Call it the same on both sides.  It's not your job to help the weaker team.  The game isn't about them.  Why does it seem like one or two officials call non stop penalties and the rest of the refs don't even seem to be at the same game?  With all that said then they don't call the hold that gets the RB around the corner and never call the DB for riding and holding the receivers. Just be consistent and fair is all I ask.  

7 hours ago, Reddog90 said:

We were 9 and 1 and 4A D1 so I'm not being a sore loser or wanting to bash refs but this was the worst season I have ever seen.  They don't seem to know all the rules and look confused a lot. They also seem to want to be overly involved in the game and way too many penalties called one sided.  Call it the same on both sides.  It's not your job to help the weaker team.  The game isn't about them.  Why does it seem like one or two officials call non stop penalties and the rest of the refs don't even seem to be at the same game?  With all that said then they don't call the hold that gets the RB around the corner and never call the DB for riding and holding the receivers. Just be consistent and fair is all I ask.  

Yea, After this years performances,........................................ I'm pretty sure that Congress leads them in Job approval ratings.

Be a part of the solution if you don't like the current state of things.

I watched 10 4AD1 games from a losing team's perspective in 7 of those contests (which seems to be the more critical perspective), and I can say the refs did just fine.  There were a handful of calls that I didn't agree with and a handful of calls I felt were not made, but overall I believe the officials did a fine job and allowed the teams to determine the outcome of the game within the rules.

So, after week 1 of playoff what are your opinions about the quality of officiating in the playoffs.  These crews are picked and agreed upon by both schools as far as I know.  The game I attended used a 7 man crew versus the usual 5 man crew.  I thought they did a great job.  Obviously 2 more sets of eyes help.  Thoughts???

2 hours ago, SUPERKAT17 said:

So, after week 1 of playoff what are your opinions about the quality of officiating in the playoffs.  These crews are picked and agreed upon by both schools as far as I know.  The game I attended used a 7 man crew versus the usual 5 man crew.  I thought they did a great job.  Obviously 2 more sets of eyes help.  Thoughts???

I wish there was enough participation to run 7 man crews exclusively, especially at the 3A level and up where the ball gets thrown around all over the field. 

• Like 1

I thought our refs did a pretty good job this past Friday.  Caught most of the obvious stuff and did not look to be calling it lopsided IMHO.  Two things I wondered about though.  The opposing team's coach, seemed like he spent maybe up to 50% of the game half-way between the sideline & hash marks.  Never got told to step back/warned/flagged for it.  Also, two times he did not agree with the call - granted they were big calls - and delayed the game at least 5 minutes each time arguing with the ref, screaming (you could hear him CLEARLY from our stands), stomping his feet, waving arms.  I can understand a minute or two delay if he thinks his team is getting a bad call but really that long and no flag for delay of game?  I don't know what the rules say, but both of these things seemed strange to me.  And might I add, our coach has been warned in the past regarding coming onto the field and also warned/flagged once that I recall for arguing too long/too much about an "no call" against our opponent.

Rules (if there are some for this) not being applied consistently?  Refs giving coaches some wiggle room since it's post season?

Garrison intercepted an EF pass in the end zone on an extra point try Friday night and the DB took it to the house for 2 points.   One of the officials blew a late whistle and they called it back.   After huddling and realizing their mistake, the only explanation was "2 point try was no good" .... I'm just glad it didn't cost us the ballgame ....

What's it like to be an official. I have never reffed 1 single football game, but spent 16 years umpiring softball. All ages, and high school.  You must have deaf ears when it comes to coaches and fans. I have had games where a teams coaches and fans decide you made a bad call in the first inning, and for the rest of the game you miss every call according to them.  The closest I ever came to tossing a coach, but I didn't. Reason being if it comes down to it you must take a trip to Austin and answer to the UIL as to why you tossed him. I am sure that no official or coach in any sport wants a trip to Austin. I couldn't call unsportsmanlike conduct on him and penalize him, only try to ignore him.  So that's where the deaf ears comes from.  Just saying I worked hard to learn the rules as best I could. There are so many odd situations that come up during games, that if you don't know the rules and make a mess of it, the Coaches have a right to challenge you.   As officials you must know the rules, and be fit enough to be in position on every play.

All that being said, coaches, umpires, reffs, and fans are all suspect to miss or make a bad call, no one is perfect.   You can know the rules for every situation that may arise, and you can still miss or make a bad call.

Me, I  love Highschool football, and if I see something I don't agree with I'm going to yell my displeasure.  Lol it's a normal reaction.  I guess I got it from being the receiver of it for so many years. 

So if you think you can handle getting screamed at, called blind, get you some fake eye glasses if you don't have a pair and go start training to be an official. Ear plugs might help, and learn the rules for each and every situation that may come up.

Let's make this be kind to the official week, and thank an official for their efforts..