Cull Bucks

Stoney

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2017 at 6:14 PM, stoneykelly said:

What do Y'all consider a cull buck? We had a guy on our lease who called a buck with a drop tine a cull. 

I’m hunting on a place that I have to myself and my kids, so I’m only bound to state laws, and can manage it as I see fit. I just use the laws as my guidelines. I figure if we all three tag out each year (unlikely) we’re only taking six does, three spikes, and three 13” bucks. It’s only a 40 acre tract, so I’m depending on my neighbors to be decent law abiding hunters too. Luckily, the lady who owns the large tract across the road from me won’t let anyone hunt it, so that helps me out a little. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

A cull buck in my book is anything atypical. Whether it be a spike over 8 inches on one or both sides, no dog catchers, palmated horns. We had a gene with no dog catchers show up about 25 years ago. It took us over five years to cull out that gene.

• 8 months later...
On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 10:09 PM, Baron said:

A cull buck in my book is anything atypical. Whether it be a spike over 8 inches on one or both sides, no dog catchers, palmated horns. We had a gene with no dog catchers show up about 25 years ago. It took us over five years to cull out that gene.

I agree, anything genetically inferior is a cull buck ... some deer just don't have the genetics to keep in the gene pool.  I shoot a lot of spikes and deer that aren't going to develop into a fully developed 8 point or better rack.  I prefer nicely developed symmetrical racks over the non-typical racks .... I like drop tines as long as they are on both sides ... 

31 minutes ago, Doomer said:

I consider a cull buck as a buck which has spots or Chronic Wasting Disease. TrueStorie

Speaking of spots ... I was driving home the other day around 5pm on FM 95 and I topped a hill and there was a fawn that still had some visible spots standing in the middle of the road.  I had to almost stop before it ran across, then I saw the twin on the other side of the road ... no sign or the momma ....

• Like 1

Years ago, I used to see a bald eagle on fm95 at this spot where the road winded around a big oak tree between Garrison and Center. I don't think the tree was still there the last times I traveled thru there though.

2 hours ago, Doomer said:

Years ago, I used to see a bald eagle on fm95 at this spot where the road winded around a big oak tree between Garrison and Center. I don't think the tree was still there the last times I traveled thru there though.

I have seen a bald eagle on fm 138 between Garrison and Center, there are also two that fly over my place on fm 1087 once in a while ...

A cull is a buck deer with inferior genetics however that can differ from hunter to hunter.  I would MUCH rather harvest a 150 inch 8point than a 160 inch typical 12 point.  A 150 8pt must be perfect in everyway to reach 150.  Good mass, tine length, long main beams, width.  Here is a pic of a 3.5 yr old 8pt that will go around 140.  We placed him on the do not shoot list until 5.5 yrs old.  He may end up making into a 10 point but if not he will be a GIANT 8.  Great looking deer that anyone would be proud to shoot.  He does have a kicker off his right G2 but with or without the kicker this is the type deer I want to go after.

99AECE7E-.jpg