Week Eleven: Longview at Mesquite

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (8-1, 5-1) vs Mesquite Skeeters (1-8, 0-6)  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Mesquite in a close one
    • Mesquite in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/11/2017 at 01:30 AM

longview.pngmesquite.png

LONGVIEW LOBOS (8-1, 5-1) AT MESQUITE SKEETERS (1-8, 0-6)

DATE: Friday, November 10th, 2017
TIME: 7:30 PM
LONGVIEW BROADCAST: Sunny 106.5 FM KOOI
MESQUITE BROADCAST: 88.5 FM KEOM

longview.pngLOBOS LEAD SERIES 11-2-0 longview.png

The Lobos have a 3-1-0 lead when the game is a non-district contest.
The Lobos have a 8-1-0 lead when the game is a district contest.
The two schools have never played a playoff contest.
The two schools have never played at a neutral location.
The Lobos have a 6-1-0 lead when the game is played at Longview.
The Lobos have a 5-1-0 lead when the game is played at Mesquite.
Longview has won the last 2 contests against the Skeeters.
Longview is 5-0-0 all-time against Mesquite at E.H. Hanby Stadium, with the Lobos winning the last 5 contests there.
The Lobos have a 1-0 lead when the game is on November 10th.

LAST FIVE GAMES IN SERIES
11.10.2016 - Longview 62, Mesquite 7 - Lobo Stadium
09.27.2013 - Longview 69, Mesquite 17 - Lobo Stadium
09.28.2012 - Mesquite 33, Longview 7 - E.H. Hanby Stadium
10.07.2011 - Longview 54, Mesquite 21 - E.H. Hanby Stadium
10.08.2010 - Longview 35, Mesquite 21 - Lobo Stadium
FULL GAME LOG

GAME PREVIEW & SERIES REVIEW
Clinched. For the first time since 2009, Longview will host a home playoff game in the first round of the 2017 Class 6A Division II playoffs. That’s what the Lobos have earned following a 49-7 thrashing of Rockwall Heath. The win improves Longview to 8-1 overall on the year, with the only loss the first district game of the season when Horn handed the Lobos a butt whooping. The Jags have gone undefeated so far in district play with one game remaining, giving Longview one last hope at a district championship. But the important thing for Longview is the clinching of a home playoff game, something that they didn’t get last season despite being co-district champions. Last season, Longview was forced to travel all the way to Beaumont, Texas to take on the West Brook Bruins. Despite holding a 10-point lead in the fourth quarter, the Lobos saw their season end on the hand of one extra point, 34-33. This season, the role will be reversed. The Bruins have lost two games in district play and now will be forced to take on the Lobos in Longview this season. But first, the Lobos must close out against a Mesquite team that’s reeling. Since starting the season off 1-1, with a dominating win over Garland 49-13, the Skeeters have seen their season under first year head coach Jeff Fleener go down the drain. The Skeeters are on a 7-game losing streak, with the closest game being two 15-point defeats to North Mesquite and John Tyler. The last three weeks fo the Skeeters, they have surrendered at least 45-points. The Lobos are coming off one of their more dominant games of the season, a 49-7 beatdown of previously 4-1 in district Rockwall Heath. The 42-point win was the largest margin of victory this season for the Lobos. After falling behind 7-0 after one quarter, the Lobos exploded in the second for a 21 point outburst. In the second half, the onslaught continued with a 28-point half. The win marks the 14th Senior Night in a row that the Lobos have won, all under current head coach John King. Longview’s last Senior Night loss came in 2003 when Longview fell, 14-0, to Lufkin. This week, the Lobos return to a place that was once kind to them…but the last three visits have been nothing but struggles. E.H. Hanby Stadium was once a perfect record for Longview, sitting at 8-0. But it’s last win came in 2011. Since, the Lobos have fallen 33-7 to Mesquite in 2012 and now back to back losses against Mesquite Horn, 25-17 in 2012 and 52-34 early this season. It’s a streak that needs to end this week for Longview, mostly for momentum to continue and going into next season where the Lobos will undoubtedly still be coupled with Mesquite ISD.

WEEK TEN 11-6A SCHEDULE:
John Tyler vs Tyler Lee (Trinity Mother Frances Rose Stadium)
Mesquite vs Longview (E.H. Hanby Stadium)
North Mesquite vs Rockwall (Mesquite Memorial Stadium) {Thursday}
Rockwall Heath vs Mesquite Horn (Wilkerson-Sanders Memorial Stadium)

WEEK NINE 11-6A RESULTS:
Longview 49 Rockwall Heath 7
Mesquite Horn 35 John Tyler 13
Rockwall 45 Mesquite 7
Tyler Lee 50 North Mesquite 21

DISTRICT 11-6A STANDINGS
1st. Mesquite Horn (8-1, 6-0)
2nd. Longview (8-1, 5-1)
3rd. Rockwall Heath (6-3, 4-2)
4th. Rockwall (4-5, 3-3)
5th. John Tyler (5-4, 3-3)
6th. Tyler Lee (5-4, 2-4)
7th. North Mesquite (3-6, 1-5)
8th. Mesquite (1-8, 0-6)

LONGVIEW LOBOS
Record: 8-1 (5-1)
District: 11-6A
Coach: John King (147-35 in 14 seasons) (Playoffs: 31-13)
First Year of Football: 1909
All-Time Record: 706-340-52 (Playoffs: 59-40-1)
Playoff Appearances: 42
Last Playoff Appearance: 2016, 6A Division II Bi-District Round
State Championships (1): 1937 (1A)
State Championship Appearances (4): 1937 (1A), 1997 (5A D1), 2008 (4A D1), 2009 (4A D1)
SCHEDULE:
09.01 - vs Lufkin - Win 35-16
09.08 - vs Marshall - Win 41-7
09.15 - vs South Oak Cliff - Win 38-7
09.22 - at Mesquite Horn - Loss 52-34
09.29 - vs Tyler Lee - Win 54-26
10.06 - at Rockwall - Win 31-21
10.20 - vs North Mesquite - Win 41-7
10.27 - at John Tyler - Win 28-19
11.03 - vs Rockwall Heath - Win 49-7
11.10 - at Mesquite

MESQUITE SKEETERS
Record: 1-8 (0-6)
District: 11-6A
Coach: Jeff Fleener (1-8 in 1 season) (Playoffs: 0-0)
First Year of Football: 1904
All-Time Record: 475-445-37 (Playoffs: 20-18-1)
Playoff Appearances: 19
Last Playoff Appearance: 2013, 6A Division I Bi-District Round
State Championships (1): 2001 (5A D1)
State Championship Appearances (0): 1974 (5A), 2001 (5A D1)
SCHEDULE:
09.01 - at Lake Highlands - Loss 43-19
09.08 - at Garland - Win 49-13
09.14 - at Garland Sachse - Loss 61-0
09.22 - vs North Mesquite - Loss 39-24
09.29 - vs Mesquite Horn - Loss 42-17
10.06 - vs John Tyler - Loss 29-14
10.20 - at Tyler Lee - Loss 49-20
10.26 - vs Rockwall Heath - Loss 50-27
11.03 - at Rockwall - Loss 45-7
11.10 - vs Longview

ON THIS DATE IN LOBO HISTORY: November 10th
In 1916, Longview hosted Gilmer and knocked off the Buckeyes, 66-0.
In 1917, Longview traveled to Gilmer and fell, 13-6.
In 1922, Henderson handed Longview a huge 50-0 loss as the Loboes traveled to Henderson.
In 1939, Longview and Tyler battled at Lobo Stadium to the tune of a 6-6 tie.
In 1944, the Lobos knocked off Tyler at Rose Stadium, 14-7.
In 1950, the Mavericks denied Longview a win at Lobo Stadium as Marshall came out victorious 27-14.
In 1961, Don Petty and Robert Myers each tallied twice for the Lobos as Longview knocked off John Tyler, 35-9.
In 1967, a Larry Meeks punt block return followed by a Steve Judy rushing touchdown set the stage as Longview knocked off John Tyler, 34-8, at Lobo Stadium.
In 1972, despite trailing 3-0 at halftime, Chuck Boyd and Larry Harkless got the the scores for Longview in the second half as the Lobos knocked off Texas High, 14-3, in Texarkana.
In 1978, John Tyler ran up 362 yards rushing to defeat the Lobos for the first time in 5 seasons in a 39-12 thrashing at Lobo Stadium.
In 1989, Andre Davis tallied twice in the 2nd and 3rd quarters as the Lobos rolled up 306 rushing yards in a 28-21 victory over Mesquite.
In 1995, despite Marshall being held to 121 total yards, the Mavs jumped out to a 15-0 lead in the 1st quarter and held on the rest of the way as Marshall knocked off the Lobos 15-9 in Maverick Stadium.
In 2000, Lufkin ended Longview’s season to the tune of a 3-7 record as the Pack overcame a stubborn Lobo team at Lobo Stadium by a 30-22 score.
In 2006, despite leading only 14-6 at halftime, the Lobos came out dominate by defense in the 2nd half and took a 30-9 victory over Mesquite Horn for their 3rd straight over the Jags.

lobohowl2.GIF

The only thing the Lobos have to play for this week is a shot at a co-district championship.

Would have to win this one with Rockwall Heath knocking off Mesquite Horn as well to have a chance at that.

Doubt that happens, as it shouldn't really. Horn is by far the best team in this district and deserves that gold ball. But really, need to keep our momentum going. A 1-8 team beating us would be a disaster before taking on West Brook.

The last time Longview faced off against Mesquite at Hanby was back in 2012, in a game that was extremely similar to this year’s Horn game. 

Longview has 9 fumbles that night against the Skeeters (lost 5). 

Defense was the only reason that Mesquite team didn’t drill us by 60. Skeeters had 4 field goals that night, which continues to be a record for most field goals against in a single game in school history. 

Obviously this season is incredibly different. Mesquite went undefeated that season before losing I believe in the Regional Round to Allen in a game they were in until their star player got injured. This year, pretty big rebuilding year for the Skeeters.

I'm not one to say that any game needs to be a blowout, but this game needs to be a blowout. Longview needs to play lockdown defense and run up the score on offense. Build up the momentum heading into bi-district.

I have a strong belief we'll see all three at QB this week.

Get out in front early, and get in as many guys as possible.

Mesquite has held tough with numerous teams early though this season, only to see their own mistakes come back to bite them.

Heath post game interview with King: http://longviewlobos.bravehost.com/gamelogs/audio/rockwallheath11032017postgame.mp3

Interesting to hear him talking about the special teams and how much they work on it.

No doubt it's been a huge highlight for this squad this season. I can't think of another season with the amount of blocked kicks and punts we've had. Maybe 2012?

31 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

I have a strong belief we'll see all three at QB this week.

Get out in front early, and get in as many guys as possible.

Mesquite has held tough with numerous teams early though this season, only to see their own mistakes come back to bite them.

Needs to be 35-0 at half pull ALL starters 

6 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Heath post game interview with King: http://longviewlobos.bravehost.com/gamelogs/audio/rockwallheath11032017postgame.mp3

Interesting to hear him talking about the special teams and how much they work on it.

No doubt it's been a huge highlight for this squad this season. I can't think of another season with the amount of blocked kicks and punts we've had. Maybe 2012?

Randy totally called that blocked punt in the second quarter. N0B79Z4.gif

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, ANTI said:

This game needs to be over by mid 2nd - halftime so we can sit Haynes and co down early.

Actually, I am NOT impressed with Haynes King thus far. He needs a plethora of repetitions with his receivers and THIS game should be the game they primarily focus on it. Timing & rhythm are crucial  between a quarterback and his receivers.  His completion percentage, albeit not all his fault is absolutely atrocious based on all the hype he has been given.

I mean, after all the hooting, hollering and campaigning that was done on his behalf this year, he has turned out to be (SO FAR) no better than the Lawson kid, in my honest opinion. And, I will admit, I was one of the one's doing SOME campaigning for Haynes to start and for Lawson to sit. He has one good, excuse from me this year and that is: he's just a sophomore. But, two weeks from now, he's going to have to grow up and I mean REALLY quick. 

I would like nothing more for him to absolutely shred this Beaumont Westbrook secondary after all the cussing and whatnot that their fanbase we're doing to us last year. It's time for a gut check this year. I want Westbrook to leave Lobo Stadium completely annihilated and embarrassed. It's gloves off time with this opponent right here. I am talking about 63 points at the half type of game is what I want. Besides Lufkin in the late 90's and early 2000's, I have NEVER seen a more disrespectful fanbase and I hope John King shows them no mercy. 

• LOL! 2

2 hours ago, Matthias said:

Randy totally called that blocked punt in the second quarter. N0B79Z4.gif

It was very obvious after the blocked FG attempt a few moments earlier that Heath didn't have the quickness to withstand Longview's speed and athleticism.

Quite frankly, the Lobos could've done it with every single attempt.

It's noteworthy to mention, when standing at field level on the sideline, that Heath is easily the biggest group of players Longview has faced but yet they lack comparable team speed.

Thanks for the acknowledgment...Matthias !

14 minutes ago, Quick said:

Actually, I am NOT impressed with Haynes King thus far. 

He's easily our best QB. 

You do want the best players on the field...right?

He has a high ceiling and he's only a sophomore, you can't honestly expect him to be passing for 5k yards now. I'm sure by the time he leaves LHS, you'll have a different tone about him.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Quick said:

I mean, after all the hooting, hollering and campaigning that was done on his behalf this year, he has turned out to be (SO FAR) no better than the Lawson kid, in my honest opinion.

Image result for stephen a smith gif

Cmon, No you didn't just say this....and then criticize the staff for not putting the best players on the field. Guess they aren't the only ones with poor talent judgement. 

We would not be in the playoffs now with Lawson at QB.

• LOL! 1

Longview's wideouts have been continuously running poor routes. Not to totally defend Haynes but he's been erratic in the sense of overthrows on some passes.

Several attempts last night he put the ball into the area where his receiver's totally went in the opposite direction. Additionally, on his INT last week against JT his intended target turned "outside"  instead of "inside" and the JT DB was there instead.

It's obvious (to me at least) that he's been too "jacked up" on some deep passes but he has to have some help from his WR's.

It's with some sense of certainty that Haynes KNOWS the playbook and where he's going with the ball.

Not trying to throw our wideouts under the bus, but a large percentage of HK's incompletions are due to drops. Again, not picking on them, that's just what the film shows. Of course, getting more reps will certainly help QB/WR chemistry, but for a sophomore, I would argue that young King is without peer in Lobo history.

LoboFan07, am I wrong? Surely you've got the numbers to prove me true or false.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matthias said:

Not trying to throw our wideouts under the bus, but a large percentage of HK's incompletions are due to drops. Again, not picking on them, that's just what the film shows.

This is true and very uncharacteristic of them.

Heck we have 3 WR's on D1 college visits today.

Perry and Johnson are at SMU.

Carter is at Texas State. 

• Like 1

Chumley is only other one comparable tbh. But once Chumley got the job, they never went back to the other guy unless game was over (like the Heath home game when it was 49-6 at half for him).

I think it’s a combination of everything. There’s been a lot of drops. Multiple overthrows (mostly the JT game). Routes as Randy said have been run very poorly.

Despite being 5-0 as a starter, I don’t think Haynes has much confidence at this point as if just feels like he’s been sheltered a lot tbh. King is terrified of getting more players injured.

• Thanks 2

One thing that I did like about what Coach King called last night was to "unleash" Haynes as a runner.

He's naturally skilled what with his long stride and deceptive speed. I doubt that Haynes called his own number on his 2nd quarter TD run or the QB draw and the couple of option plays either.

We really need to see those types of plays incorporated to a greater extent as well as the bootleg roll outs where Coach gives him the "green light" to showcase his running ability more often.

1 minute ago, RandyJohnson said:

One thing that I did like about what Coach King called last night was to "unleash" Haynes as a runner.

He's a natural runner with his long stride and deceptive speed. I doubt that Haynes called his own number on his 2nd quarter TD run or the QB draw and the couple of option plays either.

We really need to see those types of plays incorporated to a greater extent as well as the bootleg roll outs where Coach gives him the "green light" to showcase his running ability more often.

Bingo right here.

Oh and why hasn't Senior Jkameron Riggins not been used more often OR at all toting the rock ?

His TD run was absolutely outstanding. Of course, it was very late in the game BUT WOW !

He's a 6'0' 200lb thundering beast ! While I like the little guys in Williams and Edwards running they simply don't have the power that Riggins exhibited on his inside-out jaunt !

3 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

I think there was a time that Longview had a season or two where they blocked many multiple kicks.

Of course, you were just a little boy in 1991 when I recall Bobby Taylor and a couple of his teammates having such a similar season.

Taylor blocked at least four or five by himself in multiple seasons. That's not an exaggeration either as he's only the greatest player to ever grace the field for our Alma Mater.

It's only a matter of fact...