Week Eleven: Longview at Mesquite

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (8-1, 5-1) vs Mesquite Skeeters (1-8, 0-6)  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Mesquite in a close one
    • Mesquite in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/11/2017 at 01:30 AM

6 minutes ago, Matthias said:

Didn't the Frosh finish undefeated last year? Or was that the JV? 

Freshmen haven’t lost a game since 09/18/2014.

JV lost one to John Tyler last season, the week we brought up a lot of guys from JV to Varsity.

But yes, so far this group (the JV guys) at Longview are 17-1 in last two years.

On 11/4/2017 at 4:23 PM, RandyJohnson said:

Longview's wideouts have been continuously running poor routes. Not to totally defend Haynes but he's been erratic in the sense of overthrows on some passes.

Several attempts last night he put the ball into the area where his receiver's totally went in the opposite direction. Additionally, on his INT last week against JT his intended target turned "outside"  instead of "inside" and the JT DB was there instead.

It's obvious (to me at least) that he's been too "jacked up" on some deep passes but he has to have some help from his WR's.

It's with some sense of certainty that Haynes KNOWS the playbook and where he's going with the ball.

The int against JT was a deep crossing route that was under thrown and behind the receiver so it wasn't the route.  As far as the Heath game and balls being thrown into space, I have no idea if they were blown routes or throws.

The passing game has been inconsistent.  Bad throws, drops, but have made the big play when needed.   Also, for an offensive line that is built and schooled to run the ball, they have given darn good protection on passes.

10 hours ago, Justright said:

The int against JT was a deep crossing route that was under thrown and behind the receiver so it wasn't the route.  As far as the Heath game and balls being thrown into space, I have no idea if they were blown routes or throws.

The passing game has been inconsistent.  Bad throws, drops, but have made the big play when needed.   Also, for an offensive line that is built and schooled to run the ball, they have given darn good protection on passes.

No...sir. The play was a 15-20 yard route run AND thrown toward the "home sideline" as the Lobos were moving South to North. Haynes threw it "inside" and the intended receiver went "outside" where the DB made the INT. It wasn't a crossing route because the play would've taken a few seconds longer to develop. Plus Haynes reaction said it all...he put his hands up as if to say "it wasn't my fault" !

At any rate, I do agree there's been too many instances where the passing game looks to have issues but has been effective in those areas you've mentioned here (pass protection & some nice completions).

Haynes arm strength is an obvious plus and he has numerous weapons in Carter, Brown, Perry and his RB's at his disposal. I believe we'll see improvement with more reps and getting timing on routes corrected as well as the receivers running the routes properly.

17 minutes ago, RandyJohnson said:

No...sir. The play was a 15-20 yard route run AND thrown toward the "home sideline" as the Lobos were moving South to North. Haynes threw it "inside" and the intended receiver went "outside" where the DB made the INT. It wasn't a crossing route because the play would've taken a few seconds longer to develop. Plus Haynes reaction said it all...he put his hands up as if to say "it wasn't my fault" !

At any rate, I do agree there's been too many instances where the passing game looks to have issues but has been effective in those areas you've mentioned here (pass protection & some nice completions).

Haynes arm strength is an obvious plus and he has numerous weapons in Carter, Brown, Perry and his RB's at his disposal. I believe we'll see improvement with more reps and getting timing on routes corrected as well as the receivers running the routes properly.

Exactly...  and I'm not suggesting HK's reads are always right, but they are more often than not. It's obvious that he is still developing chemistry with his receiving corps, and they all need more reps together. A lot more reps.

The key word here is potential. Young King has a strong, accurate arm and shows well above-average read and recognition skills. The receivers are talented too. We just need to get on the same page. If/when that happens, it's going to be special. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RandyJohnson said:

If the receiver started his route from outside of the hash and is targeted outside of the other hash, that is a crossing route and ball is to be thrown in front of the receiver. 

1 minute ago, Quick said:

Haynes King looks horrible so far. We are way too inconsistent in the passing game at this point in the year. I mean, this is ridiculous. We should be up 21-0 already in the first quarter. 

You're rediculous.

Negative ALL the time !

4 minutes ago, Quick said:

Haynes King looks horrible so far. We are way too inconsistent in the passing game at this point in the year. I mean, this is ridiculous. We should be up 21-0 already in the first quarter. 

• Thanks 1