⚾️ WORLD SERIES CHAMPION ASTROS OFFSEASON THREAD ⚾️

RETIREDFAN1

50 minutes ago, WestHardinfan1 said:

Sounds like we’re pulling a full court press for that Japanese kid.......

I wouldn't want the Astros to sign him, because he's going to cost big bucks.  I'd like to see what he can do on both sides of the field.  I think he'll land with Seattle or maybe the Yankees, because both of them can sign him for the max which I think is $23.5 million.  I've read that Seattle is going to try their best to bring him to their fold.  

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, topher805 said:

There was an article on Yahoo about Darvish in the World Series. While the slick ball was as issue for him, apparently he was tipping his pitches.

I wouldn't want to give Darvish the ball in big game situations .... 

34 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

So, you just bench him in the post season?  I think they should go a different route ....

Worked for Fiers...

Darvish isn't my first choice either, but I'm not completely closed off to bringing him in. I don't even think the rotation needs a lot of tinkering. I think they have five good starters and plenty of depth if someone goes down. I'm worried about the bullpen and some of these contracts that are coming up (Kuechel and Gonzalez). 

10 hours ago, topher805 said:

There was an article on Yahoo about Darvish in the World Series. While the slick ball was as issue for him, apparently he was tipping his pitches.

It seems like a slick ball should have made him a better pitcher, then again maybe he never knew how to throw a spitter.  

1 hour ago, DaveTV1 said:

It seems like a slick ball should have made him a better pitcher, then again maybe he never knew how to throw a spitter.  

Couldn't grip it to get more spin on his slider. All the pitchers struggled with their slider, Darvish couldn't/wouldn't adjust 

2 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

Houston signs Joe Smith as middle reliever :   https://www.mlb.com/astros/news/source-astros-reach-a-deal-with-joe-smith/c-263492844 .  We have enough of those, we need a closer.  I'm not a big fan of this signing.  It doesn't list the contract details either, so I wonder how much he's getting.  

Seems like a logical signing with the loss of Gregerson......probably a small upgrade.  I don't think we need to shell out big $ unless you get good value on a left hander which isn't going to happen.   This signing doesn't get me excited, but he has been a solid arm out of the pen for awhile so he will definitely be an asset. We don't have the resources to compete with big money teams so you have to go for the mid priced talent. Who knows.....it paid off with Morton.

I'm praying that Whitley really advances this year because I think 2018 will be the last year we have Keuchel (who has been on a slight decline anyway)

11 hours ago, topher805 said:

Worked for Fiers...

Darvish isn't my first choice either, but I'm not completely closed off to bringing him in. I don't even think the rotation needs a lot of tinkering. I think they have five good starters and plenty of depth if someone goes down. I'm worried about the bullpen and some of these contracts that are coming up (Kuechel and Gonzalez). 

Yu is a really good talent, but there has been a lot of talk the last 2 years he is tipping his pitches. I would be concerned at this point that it hasn't been corrected. But he has nasty stuff if he could ever get straight.   I would certainly pass on this one. Too expensive

15 hours ago, topher805 said:

That is called addition by subtraction...

Gregerson actually pitched ok in the playoffs. But I've never been a fan of his.  Joe Smith had significantly better numbers in 2017.    And unlike most here, I'm not really down on Giles. He was good most of the year. He got into trouble in the playoffs when he was repeatedly asked to pitch 2 innings. His numbers in the 1st inning of the appearances and the 2nd inning are completely reversed.  I still think he is a capable closer.

9 hours ago, THSfanatic said:

Gregerson actually pitched ok in the playoffs. But I've never been a fan of his.  Joe Smith had significantly better numbers in 2017.    And unlike most here, I'm not really down on Giles. He was good most of the year. He got into trouble in the playoffs when he was repeatedly asked to pitch 2 innings. His numbers in the 1st inning of the appearances and the 2nd inning are completely reversed.  I still think he is a capable closer.

The Astros really need to focus on bullpen help more than anything else.  We need another Billy Wagner type closer ....