⚾️ WORLD SERIES CHAMPION ASTROS OFFSEASON THREAD ⚾️

RETIREDFAN1

Where do you see [Dallas] Keuchel in 2019? He has one year remaining before free agency, but what are the chances of the Astros signing him to a bigger/longer contract?
-- Wes G., Spring, Texas

Houston will try to lock him up, but I think Keuchel will test free agency after next season. He turns 30 on New Year's Day, so that would likely be his only chance at a huge contract on the open market. Also, he recently hired Scott Boras as his agent. That wasn't an accident. Boras likes his clients to test free agency. If the Astros are going to lock him up, they'll have their work cut out for them. Enjoy the beard for at least one more year.

As terrible as it is to think or say.........I think it is best if we just let Keuchel go. He has been GREAT for this organization, but with the ongoing health issues his pitching seems to have peaked and started to regress. He is still a valuable pitcher & I'd love to keep him. But trying to look at him objectively I really don't think he will be worth what he will get. More power to him though. You've got to grab the big contract when it becomes available. He's earned it

Astros accept invitation to visit White House: 'We'll have a good showing'
CBS Sports | Jan 3
 0  0

Traditionally, championship teams from the majors sports visit the White House to be feted and honored by the sitting president. Since President Trump's inauguration, however, the custom has become tinged with controversy. Most notably, President Trump rescinded his invitation to the NBA-champion Golden State Warriors after their star Steph Curry made some comments critical of the president. 

Now, though, it appears the World Series-winning Houston Astros will go through with the planned visit to Washington. Here are the details from Jake Kaplan of the Houston Chronicle:

The Astros recently received their formal invitation to visit the White House, as customary for reigning World Series champions, and plan to attend, according to team president of business operations Reid Ryan.

"This is a tradition and an honor. For many people, this might be their only time to ever be invited to the White House," Ryan said Wednesday in an interview with the Chronicle. "And as the representatives of baseball and the World Series champs, when the White House calls and invites you to come up, it's something that as an organization we felt both a responsibility and an obligation to be part of."

Kaplan's story has more, including when the Astros might make their visit to the White House.

• Like 1

Saw a Bleacher Report where the Stros were looking at Carlos Gonzalez. He might not be the triple crown threat he once was but as a lefty bat with some pop who can play some defense at one of the corners & DH he might be worth kicking the tires on.

23 hours ago, stoneykelly said:

Saw a Bleacher Report where the Stros were looking at Carlos Gonzalez. He might not be the triple crown threat he once was but as a lefty bat with some pop who can play some defense at one of the corners & DH he might be worth kicking the tires on.

He would be a decent addition, but I think with Derek Fisher being up & Kyle Tucker projected as early as late this year we are pretty well set in that direction. Barring an injury Tucker will be starting in the OF in 2019. Unless we get an unbelievable bargain on Gonzalez I would pass.

10 hours ago, topher805 said:

Crane said the Astros are after a top tier starter...

And I truly believe they are. Which makes sense  because most of us feel Keuchel will be gone after this year.

I will continue my tirade of last year. DON"T TRADE KYLE TUCKER.....DON'T DO IT....  and they better blow me away if they trade Whitley. I'd prefer to stand pat actually.

1 hour ago, topher805 said:

Gerrit Cole is the apparent pitcher rumored to be pursued by the Astros...

Surprise.....I would prefer Darvish. Cole has been trending down.  Yu still has serious stuff.....but evidently has been tipping his pitches. That can be corrected. But who knows what is best. It is all an educated guess.  The Astros scouts sure know more than I do

8 hours ago, topher805 said:

Ken Rosenthal said on MLB Network that the package is likely Fisher and Martes...

I would be fine with that. Cole is not a sure-fire 100% hit.( Archer is the only trade I would say that on & he would be way too expensive).   That is very good value for the Pirates & 2 major ready players. I have a feeling it would take another player (like Perez or Paulino) for the Pirates to take that. As long as it is not Tucker or Whitley I'm ok with it. The fact that in some ratings Whitley is equal or actually above Tucker tells me they'd be better off keeping what they have. I'm all in on Tucker & almost there on Whitley. 

21 minutes ago, THSfanatic said:

I would be fine with that. Cole is not a sure-fire 100% hit.( Archer is the only trade I would say that on & he would be way too expensive).   That is very good value for the Pirates & 2 major ready players. I have a feeling it would take another player (like Perez or Paulino) for the Pirates to take that. As long as it is not Tucker or Whitley I'm ok with it. The fact that in some ratings Whitley is equal or actually above Tucker tells me they'd be better off keeping what they have. I'm all in on Tucker & almost there on Whitley. 

A name that I saw that was interesting was Colin Moran. Pirates need a 3B and with the explosion from Bregman there really isn't a spot for him in Houston anymore