Deer Season 2017

KirtFalcon

Anybody got anything to brag about so far this season?  I have seen a few decent 8 - 10 pt bucks in the 15-17" wide category but nothing bigger.  I almost shot a spike yesterday for some meat.  I am still seeing a lot of hogs.  There are a lot of acorns this year and the deer aren't visiting the feeders or the oak/clover as often right now ...

My nephew killed a spike opening morning on one of my stands.  I didn't even hunt the first few days it was so hot ....

4 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

I sat on the stand this morning until 9 ... didn't see a thing .... very unusual not to see several deer where I hunt ...

I killed mine at 6:15 a.m. I was not expecting to see anything that early. He may have been trailing a doe. Or, there were some hog dogs running about 1/2 mile south of me, so he could have been running from them. 

I heard 3 fairly close shots between 6:30 and 8.  I was ready to pop one of the spikes, or one of the really big bucks I know are in the area if I had seen any of them ... I'm really not in a hurry to shoot something.  I messed around last year and didn't even shoot a deer.  Probably need to thin out some of the does too, but I really don't like shooting them ...