6A D2 R2 Bi-District: Beaumont West Brook at Longview

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (9-1) vs Beaumont West Brook Bruins (7-2)  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Beaumont West Brook in a close one
    • Beaumont West Brook in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/18/2017 at 01:00 AM

longview.pngbeaumontwestbrook.png

LONGVIEW LOBOS (9-1) VS BEAUMONT WEST BROOK BRUINS (6-2)

DATE: Friday, November 17th, 2017
TIME: 7:00 PM
LONGVIEW BROADCAST: 106.5 FM JACK FM
BEAUMONT WEST BROOK BROADCAST: n/a

beaumontwestbrook.pngBRUINS LEAD SERIES 1-0-0 beaumontwestbrook.png

The two schools have never played a non-district contest.
The two schools have never played a district contest.
The Bruins have a 1-0-0 lead when the game is a playoff contest.
The two schools have never played at a neutral location.
The two schools have never played at Longview.
The Bruins have a 1-0-0 lead when the game is played at Beaumont.
Beaumont West Brook has won the last contest against the Lobos.
The two schools have never played at Lobo Stadium.
The two schools have never played when the game is on November 17th.

LAST FIVE GAMES IN SERIES
11.11.2016 - Beaumont West Brook 34, Longview 33 - C.A. Thomas Multipurpose Center
FULL GAME LOG

GAME PREVIEW & SERIES REVIEW
And so we meet again. For the second consecutive season, the Longview Lobos and the Beaumont West Brook Bruins will face off in the 6A Division II Region II Bi-District round of the playoffs. Unlike last season though, despite claiming a share of the district championship in 2016, when Longview had to travel to Beaumont to take on the Bruins..the Lobos will welcome West Brook to Lobo Stadum. Last season, the Lobos saw a 10-point 4th quarter lead escape them in the later part of the quarter following a fumble inside the 10 yard line that would've sealed the deal for the Lobo gave the Bruins new life. West Brook walked away with the 34-33 victory. The loss for Longview marked the first time in 11 seasons that the Lobos failed to reach the 2nd round of the playoffs. Both John King's losses in bi-district play have come at the hands of a missed field goal as the clock ran out, and each came by a single point. Longview's last three seasons have ended at the hands of missed field goals. In 2014, Longview missed a long field goal in the ran as time ran out to fall to Mansfield Lake Ridge, 37-35. In 2015, Longview missed a chip shot field goal in the final seconds that would've sent the Lobos into overtime as they fell again to the Eagles, 56-53. And then last season's 34-33 loss to West Brook. The Lobos travel home where they are holding onto a 7-game home winning streak. Longview is 180-37-6 all-time at new Lobo Stadium, which opened in 1976. That record also includes a 62-5 mark under John King with one forfeit included. Longview will be hosting it's 3rd playoff game at Lobo Stadium where in 1984 the Lobos fell to Bryan and had to wait until 2009 to host another when Longview demolished Whitehouse 52-9.

CLASS 6A DIVISION II REGION II BI-DISTRICT GAMES:
11/17 - W9 Dallas Jesuit (6-4) vs R10 Garland Lakeview Centennial (4-6) - Postell Stadium
11/17 - W11 Longview (9-1) vs R12 Beaumont West Brook (7-2) - Lobo Stadium
11/16 - W13 Round Rock Stony Point (5-5) vs R14 Manor (5-5) - The Pfield
11/17 - W15 Klein Collins (9-0) vs R16 Aldine Davis (3-5) - Klein Memorial Stadium
11/17 - R9 Richardson Pearce (5-5) vs W10 Garland Naaman Forest (8-2) - Homer B Johnson Stadium
11/17 - R11 Rockwall Heath (6-4) vs W12 Lufkin (8-2) - Abe Martin Stadium
11/17 - R13 Round Rock Westwood (5-5) vs W14 San Marcos (9-1) - Toyota Rattler Stadium
11/17 - R15 Spring Branch Houston Stratford (6-3) vs W16 Spring Westfield (9-0) - Leonard George Stadium

WHAT’S AT STAKE:
The winner of today’s game will take on the winner of Dallas Jesuit vs Garland Lakeview Centennial in the Class 6A Division II Region II Area Round match up.

LONGVIEW LOBOS
Record: 9-1 (5-1)
District: 11-6A
Coach: John King (148-35 in 14 seasons) (Playoffs: 31-13)
First Year of Football: 1909
All-Time Record: 707-340-52 (Playoffs: 59-40-1)
Playoff Appearances: 43
Last Playoff Appearance: 2016, 6A Division II Bi-District Round
State Championships (1): 1937 (1A)
State Championship Appearances (4): 1937 (1A), 1997 (5A D1), 2008 (4A D1), 2009 (4A D1)
SCHEDULE:
09.01 - vs Lufkin - Win 35-16
09.08 - vs Marshall - Win 41-7
09.15 - vs South Oak Cliff - Win 38-7
09.22 - at Mesquite Horn - Loss 52-34
09.29 - vs Tyler Lee - Win 54-26
10.06 - at Rockwall - Win 31-21
10.20 - vs North Mesquite - Win 41-7
10.27 - at John Tyler - Win 28-19
11.03 - vs Rockwall Heath - Win 49-7
11.10 - at Mesquite - Win 61-3

BEAUMONT WEST BROOK BRUINS
Record: 6-2 (4-2)
District: 12-6A
Coach: Eric Fleener (6-2 in 1 season) (Playoffs: 0-0)
First Year of Football: 1982
All-Time Record: 243-153-2 (Playoffs: 26-21-1)
Playoff Appearances: 23
Last Playoff Appearance: 2016, 6A Division II Regional Round
State Championships (1): 1982 (5A)
State Championship Appearances (1): 1982 (5A)
SCHEDULE:
09.15 - at Houston C.E. King - Win 56-20
09.21 - vs St. Thomas Catholic - Win 49-16
09.29 - at Montgomery - Win 46-20
10.05 - vs The Woodlands College Park - Win 51-3
10.12 - at The Woodlands - Loss 35-21
10.20 - vs Lufkin - Loss 50-7
11.03 - at Conroe Oak Ridge - Win 70-43
11.09 - vs Conroe - Win 39-25

ON THIS DATE IN LOBO HISTORY: November 17th
In 1911, Longview suffered their largest loss in it’s program’s third year by a 34-0 count to the hands of Marshall.
In 1920, the second largest defeat in Longview history came at the hands of Palestine as Longview suffered a 92-0 loss in Palestine.
In 1922, Marshall struggled but put the Loboes away at Fair Park in a 14-6 victory.
In 1925, Longview and Gilmer battled to a 7-7 tie at McClellan Field.
In 1927, Leonard Ray  tallied a school record 6-touchdowns, and Randall Ross added four of his own as the Loboes knocked off Jefferson in the largest margin of victory in Lobo history by a 84-0 count.
In 1944, Longview saw it’s playoff hopes come to a halt as Marshall knocked off the Lobos 14-0 at Maverick Stadium in the 11-2A district title decider.
In 1961, Longview close out it’s season at Panther Stadium in Lufkin with a 14-0 victory over the Panthers.
In 1967, trailing 12-0 in the first quarter and 20-14 at half-time, Steve Judy came to the rescue in notching touchdowns 3 and 4 on the night in the 3rd as Longview clinched a playoff spot for the first time in 20-years with a 35-20 in Lufkin.
In 1972, Chuck Boyd tallied twice in the second half as Longview completed the perfect 10-0 regular season in a 21-6 win at Lobo Stadium over Lufkin.
In 1978, Longview and Pine Tree met for the first time on the gridiron. The Lobos trailed 12-10 going into the 4th quarter before reeling off 16 unanswered in a 26-12 win over the Pirates.
In 2001, Willie Andrews had a three-touchdown night, including a 98-yard rush as Longview picked up it’s first playoff win in five years in a 28-7 win over Dallas Kimball in Mesquite.
In 2012, trailing 6-0 right before half, Chris Pellum brought down a touchdown pass on the final play to give Longview all the momentum that would lead into the 2nd half of a 27-6 Longview win over Rowlett.

lobohowl2.GIF

We've only had three quarters this season that we've allowed multiple scores in (1st AND 2nd vs Horn and 2nd vs Lee).

Have only had 13 2nd half points scored against us since the bye week (four games now).

He's not scoring 9 TDs, or anywhere close to it. That I can guarantee.

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

We've only had three quarters this season that we've allowed multiple scores in (1st AND 2nd vs Horn and 2nd vs Lee).

Have only had 13 2nd half points scored against us since the bye week (four games now).

If yall can pass the ball yall will blow the game open. I will admit: WB is still bipolar, I don't like those kinds of squads. But yall will win. 

2 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Umm...... Knock on Wood! I ain't guaranteeing jack squat. Man, this is high school football and practically ANYTHING is possible. ANYTHING! One day you will be humbled and you will quit with the guarantees.

I never thought I'd see the day that we'd fumble the football a record 9 times in a District football game.

2 hours ago, Quick said:

Umm...... Knock on Wood! I ain't guaranteeing jack squat. Man, this is high school football and practically ANYTHING is possible. ANYTHING! One day you will be humbled and you will quit with the guarantees.

I never thought I'd see the day that we'd fumble the football a record 9 times in a District football game.

Will never stop guaranteeing that we don’t give up 9 touchdowns to a single guy. 

The amount of points that would require us giving up....we haven’t done that since the 30s.

Only way that happens is if we go to overtime. Any other way, and well we better have had fired our defensive coaches the second that game ended.

55 minutes ago, OakRidgeMav said:

Pick against the Lobos in a playoff game at Lobo Stadium? Yeah, right........

I mean we're only 1-1 in the playoffs in this Lobo Stadium lol.

I'm just glad that they have to travel 3+ hours on a Friday night for an early game like they had us do last season.

27 minutes ago, Bclove05 said:

I have to work nights next week so I have to miss this game. What would the 2nd round match look like if they win this one?

If Longview wins, would take on the winner of Dallas Jesuit/Lakeview Centennial. Would assume it would be in the Dallas area cause we never force teams to travel.

26 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

If Longview wins, would take on the winner of Dallas Jesuit/Lakeview Centennial. Would assume it would be in the Dallas area cause we never force teams to travel.

Can we use Rose stadium for the 2nd round? If we both won next week. Or is it gone for the whole playoffs? 

35 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

If I recall, we played Jesuit practically in their backyard in 2012 at Wildcat-Ram...right ? 

Hypothetically speaking, if Longview gets them again I wouldn't agree to any game near there again.

Moreover, there used to be a "five year rule" that existed when teams met again in that timeframe that the venue in a neutral site scenario was the choice of the school that lost the initial meeting site.

If this is the 2nd round matchup it will be interesting to see what transpires.

We shall see...

16 minutes ago, RandyJohnson said:

If I recall, we played Jesuit practically in their backyard in 2012 at Wildcat-Ram...right ? 

Hypothetically speaking, if Longview gets them again I wouldn't agree to any game near there again.

Moreover, there used to be a "five year rule" that existed when teams met again in that timeframe that the venue in a neutral site scenario was the choice of the school that lost the initial meeting site.

If this is the 2nd round matchup it will be interesting to see what transpires.

We shall see...

I don’t even know where we’ll use as a neutral place this season with Rose out of commission this post season.

We did play Jesuit in Ennis in 2004, which at least got them traveling some. 

Either way, West Brook up first. 

Pack007 what can ya tell us about y’all’s game against them other than it was domination??

Yes...the Lobos still have the Bruins to get past first. It will be a challenge to contain QB Elia and his offense. I fully believe we'll move forward...imo.

I can think of a few places as neutral sites that won't have Longview traveling inside the LBJ Freeway with Mt Pleasant, Royse City, Athens, Corsicana (ugggh) and PineTree (yes our backyard).

First things first...Beat West Brook !!

2 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

I mean we're only 1-1 in the playoffs in this Lobo Stadium lol.

I'm just glad that they have to travel 3+ hours on a Friday night for an early game like they had us do last season.

Maybe it's just respect for the Lobos gained over the years, but regardless of where this one is played, Lobos win comfortably.......

I’m at work and I’ll try to do it on my phone. Unlike last year, that game in Beaumont is really hard to explain. Mostly because of those turnovers. I’ll give credit to our kids for playing well, especially our defense because they couldn’t really get anything going, but those turnovers made things get really ugly. The bruins in the three games I watched this season though, did run more than just those same 6 or 7 plays like they had last year lol. Elia will pass it more this season from what I’ve seen and when they go five wide, it’s not just a Qb draw. It’s usually a bubble screen or short pass to the sideline or over the middle. Again, from what I’ve seen. Their running game couldn’t really get going against us. But they still run those sweeps and zone read with their running back (#5 i think) and #1 Bralin Simon i think. Their line wasn’t as big as last year and got dominated against us. But i watched them play better against OR and they didn’t look as bad against the Woodlands when i watched them. I’m looking forward to seeing if the read option and draw plays with Elia are going to work again vs Longview like i guess it did last year on 3rd down. Like i said, he’s not on the level of Smith from JT, but he can still make you look silly if you don’t tackle well and aren’t discipline. It just seems he tries to pass it more this year instead. He’s still not making great decisions though, which is why i guess his coach took him out against the Pack. Made similar decisions against OR too. The lobos will probably get a few ints for him I’m guessing. Their defense has speed and a little size on the front seven, but didn’t tackle as well against us in the first half and we were able to break a few runs later on in the game too. The corners had a difficult time trying to cover our guys on the short routes again, mostly against Malik and Breylon. Better on the deep stuff. Their defense still isn’t that disciplined from what i watched after our game against OR. So, I’m not expecting them to slow your running game down. I’m just not sure how to predict this one. Like MBG says, you don’t know what to expect from this WB team. Common sense tells me like last year before that game, LV wins by a few scores. But i wouldn’t be surprised if WB pulls it out either. They have the talent and playmakers to win at lobo imo if they don’t go up giving the ball away a hundred times and tackle well on defense. I can say more tomorrow when I’m not busy though. Sorry About that.