5A Div I Bi-District Playoff: Mesquite Poteet (5-5) Vs. Marshall (6-4)- Fri 7:30 @ Royse Stadium

Mavchamp

Wondering how this game got moved from Palestine, where it was going to be a generally neutral site to Royse City, where it's practically a home game for Poteet.

Same garbage happened last season when we played Wylie East in McKinney.

May as well had flipped for a home/home.

--------

Unrelated note....  for those Mav fans that can't make the long drive to Royse City.......

Maverick Stadium will be hosting Gilmer Vs. Diboll.  Will probably be a blowout..... but should be a big crowd and the Buckeye offense is worth the price of admission.

-------

Still a little shocked at this match-up.  For weeks we thought West Mesquite was a lock for this game.  They started the season 7-1 with their only loss being against Highland Park.  But the two losses at the end of the season sealed their fate. 

Can't overlook Poteet just because they are (5-5).  They just beat a team that spent some time in the top 10 this season.  Gotta take them seriously.

Let's go get a win!

• Like 1

Poteet's rb had 37 rushes for 297 yards in their 38-31 win against West Mesquite. They are a spread team that likes to run the zone read. They only had 7 pass attempts but they have had other games where they have been more balanced. Poteet has given up quite a few points this year even in their wins. Our defense will have to continue to play well as they have all season and the offense will need to be better than they were against Pine Tree or it will be a short run in the playoffs. If we play up to our potential and limit turnovers i think we have a good chance to advance.

13 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Can't overlook Poteet just because they are (5-5).  They just beat a team that spent some time in the top 10 this season.  Gotta take them seriously.

I don't think anyone in East Texas (in the top 2 classes) can over look anyone at this point with how much everyone has struggled.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mesquite Poteet is a good football team.  Any teams in District 15-5A are good.  The teams in this district are Highland Park, Mesquite Poteet, West Mesquite, Royse City, Lovejoy, Forney, North Forney and Wylie East.  I've seen them all play, because Royse City is my hometown.  Highland Park is the best team and District Champ as well.  North Forney may be the next best team along with West Mesquite.  Royse City may very well be the fourth best followed by Lovejoy, Wylie East and Forney.

Order by quality not record-

1. Highland Park
  2. North Forney & West Mesquite
  3. Mesquite Poteet
  4. Royse City
  5. Lovejoy
  6. Wylie East
  7. Forney

Order by actual finish

1. Highland Park
  2. North Forney
  3. Lovejoy
  4. Mesquite Poteet
  5. West Mesquite
  6. Royse City
  7. Wylie East
  8. Forney

Now, Marshall will play Mesquite Poteet at Royse City and not Palestine because (word is) Palestine double booked.  Poteet is a good 40-45 minute drive on Friday afternoon and Marshall is a good 1.5 hours. Poteet has no special ties to Royse City, but Royse City is well known for making the playoff experience a very special moment for the athlete, a special night for the student body and a very hospitable night for parents and fans.  In other words, we are much more than a venue, we really enjoy hosting these games and we want you to come back over and over again. Royse City is a small community with many restaurants, fast food places, Holiday Inn Express and many friendly people that are proud of our school's facilities and the stadium is a focal point for visiting towns and athletic contests. 

Mesquite Poteet 5-5, is good and they have a solid tailback.  They are a seasoned playoff squad and the defending State Semi-finalists in 2016.  Not as strong as last year, but a tough team to defend.  Royse City 4-6 lost to Poteet 36-14 earlier in the season and RC lost 6 turnovers.  They lost to Lovejoy, a team very similar to Royse City, but the Pirates lost 48-35.  They held Highland Park to a 28-9 score.  Poteet passed for 1700 yards and rushed for 2100 yards in 2017. Their tailback is a salty sophomore named Seth McGowan that has rushed for over 800 yards in just 6 games.  He averages well over 6 yards per carry. 

Royse City ISD is excited to host this game and we hope that whoever wins will come back and play here again. Over the past 8 years, we have hosted well over 50 playoffs and hope that we made nearly 1,000,000 Texas High School Fans comfortable while they enjoy rooting for their favorite team. 

I think there was going to be a home and home flip because somebody forgot to lock the Palestine site up. But Marshall already had their stadium booked and it was too late to book other venues. So thats how they got Royse City. 

Funny a lot of people thought Marshall it would be Marshall vs West Mesquite.  Poteet loses have come to good teams (Denton Ryan, Mansfield Lake Ridge, Highland Park, North Forney (one of the highest scoring offenses in the state) and Lovejoy who got a lot of starters back and has it rolling. This poteet team is down a lot of starters due to injuries but they are scrappy. This should be a pretty competitive game. 

• Like 1

NOT LOOKING AHEAD AT ALLLLLL.  But if you look at the bracket.... this is what a road to the state championship could look like:

Bi-District:  Mesquite Poteet

Area: Prosper

Region Semis: Mansfield Lake Ridge

Quarterfinals: Highland Park

Semifinals: Denton Ryan

State Tite: Manvel, Temple or Ennis

Wowzers..... IF region II wins the state championship.....they will have EARNED it for sure.

Sooooooo I heard (not confirmed) that Palestine double booked Friday with Marshall and Jacksonville both possibly playing there.

When they found out Jacksonville was confirmed to come to Palestine, they pulled the plug on Marshall.

I guess they figured Jax would bring a bigger crowd than Marshall since they are so much closer to Palestine.

It left the Mavs scrambling for a venue.  

Ugh...if this is true.  Maybe J-ville will have a bigger crowd than Marshall would....but I doubt it TBH.

-----------

We sure are missing Rose Stadium this year.  Would have been a perfect place for this game.  

------------

Seems like Mount Pleasant would have been a better choice geographically.  Sure..... Royse City's stadium is much nicer.... but I'd rather play closer to home.

JMHO

• Mavchamp featured and unfeatured this topic

Poteet has some recent pedigree..... lots of playoff success of late:

2010 went 12-3 (state semis)

2012 went 11-3 (quarterfinals)

2013: went 12-2 (quarterfinals)

2014 went 10-2

2015 went 9-4 (region semis)

2016 went 11-4 (state semis)

So yeah.... this is a program that knows how to win.  Friday night, in spite of their record, really was just a continuation of what it appears they have been doing for a while. 

Pretty impressive.

Mavs Defense must keep being aggressive and keep getting those tds & safeties. Saying that, its the Marshall offense that will determine the outcome. If JJ cant get his mid-season groove back, we are in trouble. We are so much more explosive when he is clicking in the passing game. He can't keep fumbling and throwing ints.. Marshall one dimensional becomes an avg team. 

JJ's last two games were pretty tough.

Passing game was nonexistent in both.  And his turnovers Vs. PT....ouch.  He hadn't thrown many INTs all season...but he had a rough one that night.

Offense will have to come out of their funk.  Defense will have to be stellar. 

16 hours ago, The Real Mavfan said:

Thanks for that sypnosis micotrav. I have always enjoyed attending games at your facility but dont enjoy that drive. It is closer to 2 hrs from Marshall or at least it seems like it. Just interested, how would you compare this year Poteet team to last year Wylie East squad with Eno? That dude was a beast!

Last year's Wylie East team would beat this year's Poteet team.  Probably a 37-27 type score.  Yes, Marshall could be closer to 2 hours, but better than the traffic Poteet has to face.  Poteet can be brilliant in some games, but they have not been consistent. West Mesquite lost their top tailback after only 7 carries and that destroyed the Wranglers. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

NOT LOOKING AHEAD AT ALLLLLL.  But if you look at the bracket.... this is what a road to the state championship could look like:

Bi-District:  Mesquite Poteet

Area: Prosper

Region Semis: Mansfield Lake Ridge

Quarterfinals: Highland Park

Semifinals: Denton Ryan

State Tite: Manvel, Temple or Ennis

Wowzers..... IF region II wins the state championship.....they will have EARNED it for sure.

Those are some very powerful football teams this year.  Lake Ridge, Highland Park and Denton Ryan may be top guns, but playoffs are tough business especially in 5A.

15 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Main Page: http://www.marshallmavericks.net/

GAMEDAY PAGE: http://www.marshallmavericks.net/gameday-info

Trying to get some more updated stats on Poteet.  But that's why I can find thus far.

QB is Dalton Dale , 82 of 163 for 1403 yards and 9 TD with 7 INT.  Completes 52.8 percent of his passes. Dale will run on you as well.  He has about 530 yards rushing and 7 rushing TD's.  Pretty good presence in the pocket, quick release and somewhat highpoint release as well.  Not the best quarterback in 15-5A, but not bad neither. 

RB is Sophomore Seth McGowen.  A slippery and speedy runner.  Has a 92 yard TD run to his credit.  Averages about 7 yards per carry. Did not move up to varsity until game 4 or 5. 118 carries 796 yards and 10 TD's.  McGowen is a legit tailback.  Not that much varsity experience but a natural.  He will fumble if you pop him right, still very young and those arm muscles will be the offseason focus for this young but good running back.  McGowen carried the ball 37 times for 297 yards against West. 

Cam Lampkin is another Pirate option and you may find him at QB, RB or Receiver.  Utility player with good hands. Has thrown for about 300 yards and a TD or two.  Carried the ball for 226 yards and a couple TD's and has caught 500 yards of passes and 6 TD's  So if you combine it all he has contributed over 1000 yards of offense.  Watch him, his coach will use him a lot, just never know where. 

Other receivers are Da'Michael Smith and Emmanual Owens.  Both run decent routes and have some decent speed. They have about 700 yards combined yardage and about 50 catches. 

Poteet has scored 318 points and had 332 scored against them.  They are a 5-5 team from a better than average district. They match up very well with Marshall, but I think Marshall may win by a score like 39-36.  Should be a great game that should keep you in your seats for the entire ball game.  Personally, I find first-round games are not overly competitive. But these two teams have been tried and tested, time to turn 'em loose!

Dallas Morning News should have all the Poteet stats on their site...

The stadium situation is exactly how it was described...Palestine double booked...not sure if Poteet won a home/neutral flip or if both just agreed to play at Royse.....

Lindale IMO would have been a decent neutral site but I think it was already booked Friday and not sure either team wanted to move from Friday night

1. Poteet has lost 8 starters (all recently). So to say #6 for West getting hurt sealed their fate was irrelevant. Their soph backup was just as good, he'll be a beast. 

2. Cam is not the coaches kid lol

3. Since Palestine was double booked, coaches couldn't find a neutral site, they wanted to flip home/home but Marshall booked their own stadium to Gilmer. If they wanted to play at a nice stadium, Royse City was pretty much the only option. 

4. Poteet's strength of schedule wasn't tops in the state. Marshall has a good stack of athletes & lineman so this should be a good game. 

For the Mavs to win, I think even more important than JJ having a good game will be Ro Smith. If the o-line can open some holes for him he has shown the speed to score on any play. That is my stat to watch .. if Ro gets 100+ yards i think we have a really good chance. If they shut him down it will put pressure on JJ and that advantage goes to Poteet.

2 hours ago, kermit said:

1. Poteet has lost 8 starters (all recently). So to say #6 for West getting hurt sealed their fate was irrelevant. Their soph backup was just as good, he'll be a beast. 

2. Cam is not the coaches kid lol

3. Since Palestine was double booked, coaches couldn't find a neutral site, they wanted to flip home/home but Marshall booked their own stadium to Gilmer. If they wanted to play at a nice stadium, Royse City was pretty much the only option. 

4. Poteet's strength of schedule wasn't tops in the state. Marshall has a good stack of athletes & lineman so this should be a good game. 

Cam is not the coaches kid!  My bad!  My old age is kicking in and I don't know how I confused that, but I did, with another team. He is a player to keep an eye on and he is a great utility player.  I think, however, that Poteet did indeed play a tough schedule.  Mansfield Lake Ridge and Denton Ryan in pre-district and playing within District 15-5A was a gauntlet of weekly very talented football teams.  Royse City received the call from one of the two schools Saturday morning about 1 a.m. , they were right on the heels of four other teams folding on their commitment to play in Royse City this Friday night.  Those other four teams had one team with what was thought to be an unfair advantage because of their previous week being a bye week, which caused the entire schedule to fold and back out of their promise to play there.  But Royse City is very excited to host the Marshall vs Poteet Championship game. I think you will find they will do an awesome job and will make an awesome playoff experience for both schools. Sorry again for saying that Lampkin is the coaches son. Surely somebody told me that, but no, maybe I am too involved in high school football and I'm dreaming stuff up....LOL!