5A Div I Bi-District Playoff: Mesquite Poteet (5-5) Vs. Marshall (6-4)- Fri 7:30 @ Royse Stadium

Mavchamp

I hope the fine folks in Palestine never expect another dime from MISD again.   Heard Mathis was hot over it.

Pretty crappy way to do business IMHO.  I still think we would have brought more people  than Jacksonville.  

Oh well.  RC is a far superior facility anyway.  Just hate giving up the neutrality of Palestine. 

Just wish it was more neutral like Diggs said of lindale, mount pleasant.  

Either way.  RC it is!  Go Mavs go!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

I hope the fine folks in Palestine never expect another dime from MISD again.   Heard Mathis was hot over it.

Pretty crappy way to do business IMHO.  I still think we would have brought more people  than Jacksonville.  

Oh well.  RC is a far superior facility anyway.  Just hate giving up the neutrality of Palestine. 

Just wish it was more neutral like Diggs said of lindale, mount pleasant.  

Either way.  RC it is!  Go Mavs go!

I had a coach said that he will not play Palestine ever because they are a bunch of crooks there... i didn't ask for details, but he seemed as mad about it as Mathis probably is and I don't even know how long ago the incident happened...

It's bad business.  And I'm sure word has now spread that Palestine doesn't stand by their committments.  Be they verbal or written  

I mean.... Mathis could have kicked Gilmer and Diboll out of Maverick Stadium to flip for home field, but he didn't. Why?   Because it would have been bad business. 

Shame on them.

It's a shame Rose Stadium is out of commission... it would have been a perfect venue  

I know it is a possibility to double book your facility and I'm not going to say it will never happen in Royse City, but RCISD Stadium has been hosting multiple annual playoffs since 2009 when the stadium was dedicated.  They go by a certain set of rules;

1. Always put the kids first and make it an enjoyable and lifetime experience
  2. Be hospitable and treat fans the way they want to be treated. We honestly and genuinely welcome everyone. 
  3. Don't overcharge for anything. Everything reasonably priced. (facility, concessions, extra add-ons)
  4. Create a hometown atmosphere for both teams
  5. Present a clean and well-kept stadium
  6. Every game is supported by a contract
  7. First come, first served and if first come, can't commit, next up in order of phone call, text message, email, etc. (time, dated & recorded)
  8. Congratulations are always in order for each team's accomplishments
  9. Our community supports the playoff atmosphere and they welcome travelers 
  10. Your safety is our concern from the time you leave your home, your game time experience and until you arrive safely back home again

We feel if we can accomplish these things, you will enjoy your time you spend with us and come back again, if even just to visit. 

9 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

I had a coach said that he will not play Palestine ever because they are a bunch of crooks there... i didn't ask for details, but he seemed as mad about it as Mathis probably is and I don't even know how long ago the incident happened...

It was just a couple of years ago. That’s been going on since the AD they have now has come in. From what I hear it’s a pretty common practice over there now. They are starting to get a bad reputation around East Texas. Let’s go Mavs

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, micotrav said:

We feel if we can accomplish these things, you will enjoy your time you spend with us and come back again, if even just to visit. 

Only been to RC Stadium once, in the 2015 season opener between the Mavs and RC.

It's a GREAT venue.  I have no doubt we will be pleased!

None of this is against RC.  Excited to play in a first class facility.  

Just a rant/rail against Palestine...... I hope their turf gets Longview-esque wrinkles in it.  lmao.

• Like 1
  • LOL! 2

On 11/13/2017 at 4:33 AM, micotrav said:

QB is Dalton Dale , 82 of 163 for 1403 yards and 9 TD with 7 INT.  Completes 52.8 percent of his passes. Dale will run on you as well.  He has about 530 yards rushing and 7 rushing TD's.  Pretty good presence in the pocket, quick release and somewhat highpoint release as well.  Not the best quarterback in 15-5A, but not bad neither. 

RB is Sophomore Seth McGowen.  A slippery and speedy runner.  Has a 92 yard TD run to his credit.  Averages about 7 yards per carry. Did not move up to varsity until game 4 or 5. 118 carries 796 yards and 10 TD's.  McGowen is a legit tailback.  Not that much varsity experience but a natural.  He will fumble if you pop him right, still very young and those arm muscles will be the offseason focus for this young but good running back.  McGowen carried the ball 37 times for 297 yards against West. 

Cam Lampkin is another Pirate option and you may find him at QB, RB or Receiver.  Utility player with good hands. Has thrown for about 300 yards and a TD or two.  Carried the ball for 226 yards and a couple TD's and has caught 500 yards of passes and 6 TD's  So if you combine it all he has contributed over 1000 yards of offense.  Watch him, his coach will use him a lot, just never know where. 

Other receivers are Da'Michael Smith and Emmanual Owens.  Both run decent routes and have some decent speed. They have about 700 yards combined yardage and about 50 catches. 

Poteet has scored 318 points and had 332 scored against them.  They are a 5-5 team from a better than average district. They match up very well with Marshall, but I think Marshall may win by a score like 39-36.  Should be a great game that should keep you in your seats for the entire ball game.  Personally, I find first-round games are not overly competitive. But these two teams have been tried and tested, time to turn 'em loose!

RB has been on varsity since start of Freshman year.  He injured his hamstring in first Q of first game this year and missed about 5 games. He has some D1 offers.  Mavs will have to hit him hard because he looks to run right through everybody.  Team feeds of his hard running.  Should be an interesting game.  

• Like 1

Interesting facts.......

After losing their first four games, the Mavs went 6-0 to close out the regular season. Their first four opponents went a combined 26-12 on the season. None of them had a losing season. In fact, only 3 of our 10 opponents all season had a losing record.

Tyler Lee finished (6-4) in their 6A district.  We lost to them by 2 points, 29-27.

Longview finished (9-1) in their 6A district.  Blowout loss.

Shadow Creek finished (5-3).   Lost to them by 7 on hail mary and end of game, 28-21.

Corsicana finished 6-4 in their 5A district.  We lost to them by 3 points, 22-19.

Texas High finished 7-3.

SS and Greenville finished 5-5.

PT finished 3-7.

MP finished 2-8

Hallsville finished 1-9.

Those bottom 5 games......... Marshall won by a combined score of 232-65 (Vs SS, Greenville, PT, MP, and Hallsville).

37 minutes ago, kermit said:

Poteets soph RB played on JV last year & got moved up in the playoffs. Had to step up as a freshman when their starter went down in the playoffs. 

This should be a good physical game, team who can create the most turnovers  wins. 

Thanks Kermit.  I've been told two or three different stories about Sophomore RB Seth McGowen, Mesquite Poteet's tough running tailback.  His short stay on sub-varsity for sure was because he is a very talented football player.  For him to put the yardage he did on a very good West Mesquite football team, was an amazing task.  Should be a great game and Royse City is honored to host these Texas High School Football Giants.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2017 at 12:41 AM, micotrav said:

Mesquite Poteet is a good football team.  Any teams in District 15-5A are good.  The teams in this district are Highland Park, Mesquite Poteet, West Mesquite, Royse City, Lovejoy, Forney, North Forney and Wylie East.  I've seen them all play, because Royse City is my hometown.  Highland Park is the best team and District Champ as well.  North Forney may be the next best team along with West Mesquite.  Royse City may very well be the fourth best followed by Lovejoy, Wylie East and Forney.

Order by quality not record-

1. Highland Park
  2. North Forney & West Mesquite
  3. Mesquite Poteet
  4. Royse City
  5. Lovejoy
  6. Wylie East
  7. Forney

Order by actual finish

1. Highland Park
  2. North Forney
  3. Lovejoy
  4. Mesquite Poteet
  5. West Mesquite
  6. Royse City
  7. Wylie East
  8. Forney

Now, Marshall will play Mesquite Poteet at Royse City and not Palestine because (word is) Palestine double booked.  Poteet is a good 40-45 minute drive on Friday afternoon and Marshall is a good 1.5 hours. Poteet has no special ties to Royse City, but Royse City is well known for making the playoff experience a very special moment for the athlete, a special night for the student body and a very hospitable night for parents and fans.  In other words, we are much more than a venue, we really enjoy hosting these games and we want you to come back over and over again. Royse City is a small community with many restaurants, fast food places, Holiday Inn Express and many friendly people that are proud of our school's facilities and the stadium is a focal point for visiting towns and athletic contests. 

Mesquite Poteet 5-5, is good and they have a solid tailback.  They are a seasoned playoff squad and the defending State Semi-finalists in 2016.  Not as strong as last year, but a tough team to defend.  Royse City 4-6 lost to Poteet 36-14 earlier in the season and RC lost 6 turnovers.  They lost to Lovejoy, a team very similar to Royse City, but the Pirates lost 48-35.  They held Highland Park to a 28-9 score.  Poteet passed for 1700 yards and rushed for 2100 yards in 2017. Their tailback is a salty sophomore named Seth McGowan that has rushed for over 800 yards in just 6 games.  He averages well over 6 yards per carry. 

Royse City ISD is excited to host this game and we hope that whoever wins will come back and play here again. Over the past 8 years, we have hosted well over 50 playoffs and hope that we made nearly 1,000,000 Texas High School Fans comfortable while they enjoy rooting for their favorite team. 

The actual finish was

1. Highland Park (7-0)
2. Lovejoy (5-2, with victory over  North Forney)
3. North Forney (5-2)
4. Poteet (4-3, with victory over North Forney)
5. West Mesquite (4-3)
6. Royse City  (1-6) -3, +4 = +1
7. Wylie East (1-6)  -7, +7 = 0
8. Forney (1-6)  +3, -7 = -4

6-8 was determined by District rules.  The three teams count there positive  and negative points to eliminate one team (Forney) and then you look at the head to head.  Royse City won the head to head over Wylie East.

Please do tell how a 1-6 6th place team (after tie-breakers) is better than a 5-2 team... :munch:

On 11/12/2017 at 10:40 AM, The Real Mavfan said:

Thanks for that sypnosis micotrav. I have always enjoyed attending games at your facility but dont enjoy that drive. It is closer to 2 hrs from Marshall or at least it seems like it. Just interested, how would you compare this year Poteet team to last year Wylie East squad with Eno? That dude was a beast!

Depends on what you want to do against them.  Poteets pass defense is suspect, but they have enough of a passing game to keep you honest.  Some fast receivers that take what you give them.  They especially like the slant in the redzone.  We subbed some reserves and they burned us for two quick TD's off the slant before we brought the starters back.  There RB is different than Eno, but the youngster is a beast.

15 hours ago, Leopard4Life said:

The actual finish was

1. Highland Park (7-0)
2. Lovejoy (5-2, with victory over  North Forney)
3. North Forney (5-2)
4. Poteet (4-3, with victory over North Forney)
5. West Mesquite (4-3)
6. Royse City  (1-6) -3, +4 = +1
7. Wylie East (1-6)  -7, +7 = 0
8. Forney (1-6)  +3, -7 = -4

6-8 was determined by District rules.  The three teams count there positive  and negative points to eliminate one team (Forney) and then you look at the head to head.  Royse City won the head to head over Wylie East.

Please do tell how a 1-6 6th place team (after tie-breakers) is better than a 5-2 team... :munch:

First of all, I think Lovejoy has a great football team.  Bumper Pool is one of the best linebackers I have seen in a few years.  He is a beast.  However, District 15-5A overall is loaded with talented football players as well as teams.  I have said that I think some of the bottom four could be playoff teams in other districts.  Just a week ago, Royse City played Lovejoy at their stadium and Lovejoy needed to win that game.  Lovejoy really could not depend on what other teams did, their first line of business was to take care of business against Royse City.  And Lovejoy, without a doubt, needs to be going to the playoffs.  Now, Royse City, my hometown, my favorite team, the team I personally played for, and I'm very biased toward what Royse City does every week and every year.  I have a passion for Bulldog football.  I know, everyone says I'm clouded with my views, but no....So here we go with my dissertation on my reasoning.  Lovejoy scored first in that game and scored in just 43 seconds of the first quarter.  Royse City responded and drove about 70 yards and scored but missed the extra point for a 7-6 score in favor of Lovejoy.  Lovejoy also responded and scored on a long TD pass making it 14-6 and still in the first quarter.  Lovejoy scores again and the score is 21-6 Lovejoy at the half. Second half Royse City comes back and scores a TD to make it 21-14 after a two-point conversion.  Royse City continues the comeback and both drives die inside the 10-yard line and both add field goals for a 21-20 score.  Lovejoy scores again to make the score 28-20.  With just over 3:00 to play in the game, Lovejoy converts a desperate 3rd and 9 at the Royse City 49 into a 4th and 1 when Bumper Pool comes to the rescue and runs for 33 yards to inside the 5-yard line.  Still, a little over a minute to play and Lovejoy wisely kneel to win the game.  If they score again, from inside the 5, they seal the game with a 35-20 type score.  However, they realize that if they do not score with a 1st and goal, that Royse City gets the ball and can drive the field, so again, I say they choose wisely and kneel.  A great call by the coach.  I say all of this to say that Royse City, without three starters, including their starting tailback, was very close to upsetting and possibly knocking Lovejoy out of the playoff picture.  So, because I understand the ramifications and the possibilities, I think that with all of our starters we could have beaten Lovejoy that night.  Now, I know that does not please you and I understand that since you are a Lovejoy fan.  After all, Lovejoy beat North Forney and Poteet which both beat Royse City handily.  Yet head to head, Lovejoy had difficulty containing the Bulldog comeback in the second half.  I don't think that Lovejoy is superior to Royse City because they played a great first half.  I have heard the story that Lovejoy was not concerned with Royse City because they were watching what West Mesquite and Poteet were doing in their game, all the while Lovejoy needed to win to secure their spot and they did. Lovejoy has a good quarterback and a couple of good receivers and a great linebacker.  Bumper Pool is the hero of that game and it just takes one hero to win sometimes. So we will never know if Lovejoy could have sacked away the win by going for the touchdown and possibly turning the ball over to Royse City with about a minute to go in the game when Royse City was red hot and moving the ball easily up and down the field in the second half.  But since I am a huge Royse City fan, I think that the Bulldogs with all starters back would be a tad bit better ball club than Lovejoy.  Woulda, coulda, shoulda never win ball games, but I believe we had that chance.  Lovejoy was 5-5 on the season and Royse City was 4-6, but district counts and that is where injuries and turnovers hurt Royse City in 2017.  However, with the Bulldogs playing 8 sophomores on both sides of the ball all season, I feel we will be a tad bit better in 2018.  There is my reasoning and that is why I think what I think.  :munch: