5A Div I Bi-District Playoff: Mesquite Poteet (5-5) Vs. Marshall (6-4)- Fri 7:30 @ Royse Stadium

Mavchamp

I could nitpick some things. Really thought we should have run the ball more. Could have gotten Tahj involved more. So on and so forth BUT we had the ball at midfield with 2 minutes left with the opportunity to win so you really cant ask for much more. Especially being down 21-6 in first quarter. Mcgowan is as good as advertised. Just a sophmore good gosh. But what impressed me most was their defense. They made us work for everything and kept JJ on the run all game long. Sooo in the end it was a good game between two good teams and somebody had to lose. Congrats to Poteet. Great district championship season for us, can build on it for next season we have alot coming back. GO MAVS!!

I watched the game and it was an awesome football game.  Impressed with Poteet's run game and their defense making the right stops at the right time.   I thought Marshall was about to blow Poteet out when their Ro Smith scored on a great run very early in the game.  Poteet answered with a precision drive and I thought this might turn out to be closer than I thought.  McGowan is a good back, to say the least as he scored on two long runs. He ended the night with 4 TD's and 224 yards rushing. Ro Smith had a good night with 143 yards and a TD. 

Matchup default-clear.png?bg=ffffff&fm=jpg&auto= mesquite-poteet-clear.png?bg=ffffff&fm=j
1st Downs 21 16
Total Yards 353 319
Passing 119 62
Comp-Att 8-33 6-15
Yards per pass 14.9 10.3
Interceptions thrown 0 1
Rushing 234 257
Rushing Attempts 45 43
Yards per rush 5.2 6
Penalties 6-50 8-84
Turnovers 1 3
Fumbles lost 1 2
Interceptions thrown 0 1

Passing

Player Comp Att Pct Yds TD INT
JJ Green 8 33 24.24 119 3 0

default-clear.png?bg=ffffff&fm=jpg&auto=Rushing

Player Att Yds Yds/Att TD
Rodarius Smith 25 143 5.72 1
JJ Green 14 74 5.29 0
Selah Smith 2 12 6.00 0
Tahu Washington 3 9 3.00 0
Detrevion Macon 1 -4 -4.00 0

default-clear.png?bg=ffffff&fm=jpg&auto=Receiving

Player Rec Yds Yds/Catch TD
DeKendrick Bender 4 87 21.8 2
Rodarius Smith 1 14 14.0 0
Tahu Washington 1 10 10.0 1
Selah Smith 2 8 4.0 0
SEE SEASON STATS

mesquite-poteet-clear.png?bg=ffffff&fm=jPassing

Player Comp Att Pct Yds TD INT
Dalton Dale 6 15 40 62 0 1

mesquite-poteet-clear.png?bg=ffffff&fm=jRushing

Player Att Yds Yds/Att TD
Seth McGowan 33 224 6.79 4
Cam Lampkin 2 24 12.00 1
Emanuel Owens 1 13 13.00 0
Louis Moore 1 3 3.00 0
Quinten Milton 1 0 0.00 0
Dalton Dale 5 -7 -1.40 0

mesquite-poteet-clear.png?bg=ffffff&fm=jReceiving

Player Rec Yds Yds/Catch TD
Emanuel Owens 3 19 6.3 0
Louis Moore 1 18 18.0 0
Seth McGowan 1 15 15.0 0
Cam Lampkin 1 10 10.0 0

I'm so proud of these guys. 

They never gave up. They never laid down. 

This was a Poteet team that was in the semifinals last season.  This wasn't a scrub team. 

Disappointed?  Yes. Of course. Upset?  No. Absolutely not.   Thrilled about these kids. Thrilled about this staff. Thrilled about the direction this program is headed. 

And man alive. Mav Nation!!!  3hr drive or not..... they showed up!!!!  So proud of the big crowd we brought.  The noise they made and the way they supported the team from kickoff till the final horn was 💯💯!!!!!  Wow!!!

We did  all this with a brand new staff, new systems, a sophomore QB, and underclassmen that were learning from upperclassmen that earned 2 district titles in 3 years. 

There is still work to be done.  But there is no way any Mav fan cannot be thrilled with where we are headed.  

I'll say it again..... I'm sooooo stinking proud of these young men.  

• Like 2

I agree. Our guys could have folded down 21-6 in the 1st qtr. Just like we could have gave up on the season starting 0-4 and having to start our 3rd string sophmore qb. But i really believe they took on the personality of coach mathis, kept their heads up and kept fighting til the very last play. Heck we almost converted on 4th and 25 to keep that last drive going. Mathis is a master motivator and even though i sometimes question his in-game decision making im not sure we accomplish what we did with another coach.

Imho....  

I doubt we make the playoffs this season with the previous staff. 

I don't think they would have bit the bullet and started the sophomore. 

I don't think the defense would have been as strong because they wouldn't have made th needed personel changes. 

Not flaming them. Just stating what I believe based on last season. We should have been so much better than we were. 

Future is bright imho 

These coaches are already planning and talking about next year, they will start working Monday after thanksgiving. Many holes to fill but the talent is coming to do just that. 7th grade football will return next fall which will benefit the future. The seniors built the foundation, many of them started as sophomores. Good luck to those guys in the future. Horns up.