Who WILL WIN 4A DIV II?

wos96

Jasper will not have seen as good of a T-N-T group as PG ... the LBer and D Ends are good ... but it's hard to tell exactly how much because the play of the front three provides excellent cover and allows them to roam virtually free ... you can tell the LBers have been coached and well; very disciplined on keys; interesting that the nose is so good that they can align wider than normally associated with the five which helps off-tackle ... the ends are quick but lining up against TE's  doesn't appear to be their strongest suit - and they will see a lot (and I mean a lot) vs Jasper

But that is based on observing only a few games ... but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves - Texas HS football history is full of really good teams who underestimated their present opponent while looking down the road to another.

1 hour ago, Eagle8 said:

Lol, he trying to compare Jasper to Gladewater. Bud, just cuz you stopped Gladewater don't mean you gonna stop Jasper.....they're a whole different animal.

I will second this. Gladewater was nothing on Jasper. We completely stuffed the Gladewater running game, and have for the last 3 seasons. We're really good at lining up and stopping teams like GW. 

Jasper is not the same. They are a lot bigger up front. Their QB can throw pretty well, and put the ball where it needs to be for their 6'5" tall receivers to catch it. We played great coverage, but nothing was good enough. We got penetration at time, but Jasper always found a way to fall forward.

I'm not like the Eagle fans though. I'm still picking PG over Jasper if the 2 meet. Reason being is because Jasper seems to be very fumble prone. Atlanta was only able to capitalize on one of three. Also, though Jasper is big, PG is the hardest hitting team we've seen in our games. Not sure what happened against Tatum, but helmets were popping all night when we played PG. If PG plays their usual game, they will beat Jasper, in my opinion. It should be a great game regardless.

27 minutes ago, DOB said:

Differences in opinions and observations usually results in increase ticket sales ... if this matchup transpires, seats will be full.

Full of random fans. I think the Jasper team outnumbered their fans Friday night. 

6 hours ago, wos96 said:

Come on man

Sup wos96? Talk bout fun if we could meet up with yall at jerry's world, dont u think? Given the rivalry/history between the Dawgs and Mustangs. I dont like our schools not playing our yearly game the past couple of seasons. I wish coach barbay would get past his issues and get yall back on the schedule. Being that jasper should have never been placed in reg. 2 to begin with how ironic if we were to meet.

1 hour ago, JasperDawg said:

Sup wos96? Talk bout fun if we could meet up with yall at jerry's world, dont u think? Given the rivalry/history between the Dawgs and Mustangs. I dont like our schools not playing our yearly game the past couple of seasons. I wish coach barbay would get past his issues and get yall back on the schedule. Being that jasper should have never been placed in reg. 2 to begin with how ironic if we were to meet.

Why would Jasper want to play WOS. In 2015 Jasper was beaten by WOS 53-0? Absolutely the Chain Gang would have pummeled Jasper in 2016 and 2017.

1 hour ago, dean1345 said:

Why would Jasper want to play WOS. In 2015 Jasper was beaten by WOS 53-0? Absolutely the Chain Gang would have pummeled Jasper in 2016 and 2017.

Yes we were taken behind the woodshed by the mustangs but pretty much all the teams they faced during their current 36 game win streak have  been.  We have played wos ever since they dropped down from 5a back in the mid 80's.  Some of the most memorable games for people of setx have been when jasper plays wos. From the 3-0 win they got in jasper, or us handing them their worse loss in school history 47-0, the great 3rd round game a few seasons ago which ended up  a 18-16 wos win or them giving us or worse loss 53-0 and lots more. To be the best you have to play and beat the best. Such a great highschool football enviroment when our games take place.

44 minutes ago, JasperDawg said:

Yes we were taken behind the woodshed by the mustangs but pretty much all the teams they faced during their current 36 game win streak have  been.  We have played wos ever since they dropped down from 5a back in the mid 80's.  Some of the most memorable games for people of setx have been when jasper plays wos. From the 3-0 win they got in jasper, or us handing them their worse loss in school history 47-0, the great 3rd round game a few seasons ago which ended up  a 18-16 wos win or them giving us or worse loss 53-0 and lots more. To be the best you have to play and beat the best. Such a great highschool football enviroment when our games take place.

Great tradition between nearby towns are special. Did WOS have some great years when Earl Thomas played for them?

WOS has to be the favorite until/if someone beats them.  Just like Carthage in D1.  Imo, WOS is not as invincible as last year, but still a very good team, capable of winning it all.

Since I've read a lot of "what ifs", and "would like to see", my dream game would've been WOS vs Carthage last year.  Would've been one great game.  

On 11/20/2017 at 6:42 AM, chukslegacy said:

WOS wins it hands down! PG doesn't have the speed to compete with WOS. I predict a game like Celina, close first qtr then the Mustangs open it up with their speed!

If PG makes it that far, speed will not be an issue we have 5 or 6 guys on defense and at least that many on offense that run sub 11.7 100 meters. WOS has one guy that posted an 11.5, 100 meter dash (athletic.net) the QB. If you are referring to WOS's overall team speed maybe you have a point.  I doubt they have more team speed than Arkansas High, Paris, LE, & Atlanta.  Some of those have won numerous state track championships. On the football field we can run with anybody in 4A2.

18 minutes ago, PGHAWKS2 said:

If PG makes it that far, speed will not be an issue we have 5 or 6 guys on defense and at least that many on offense that run sub 11.7 100 meters. WOS has one guy that posted an 11.5, 100 meter dash (athletic.net) the QB. If you are referring to WOS's overall team speed maybe you have a point.  I doubt they have more team speed than Arkansas High, Paris, LE, & Atlanta.  Some of those have won numerous state track championships. On the football field we can run with anybody in 4A2.

Field speed and track speed a little different 

On 11/19/2017 at 3:01 PM, Eagle8 said:

Just don't see PG winning it all. PGDad is all high and mighty on them and that's fine, it's the best season they've ever had but they just honestly weren't what I expected them to be. I expected studs everywhere....to me, their offense was actually quite mediocre. Defensively, their front 7 are amazing. Secondary was a bit shakey....but definitely one of the best defenses we've seen. I think Jasper wins the region, WO-S will be a tall task for anyone.

We had an off night offensively, mainly due to Tatum playing well defensively and fumbled snaps. Wing T is all about timing and so it's important to get the snap and get moving (a lot of moving parts).  Our QB is a three-sport athlete and excels at all three (football, baseball & basketball). He will play D1 in one of those sports, in my opinion. Great kid and great athlete (Ben Harmon). He will not be rattled, he has ice water in his veins. We left 17 points out there that we normally would've capitalized on (red zone). Offense is not mediocre, check our results offensively this year VS a tough schedule. Great defense, and a really good offense.

Hats off to Tatum for playing an excellent game.... I'm still trying to figure out why they didn't win more games.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PGHAWKS2 said:

WRONG....what's your prediction for us in the 2nd round?

What was your prediction for the 1st round? I bet you was WRONG too. Nobody in the high school football world woulda thought Tatum would have held y'all to 21 points much less play y'all to a 14 point game. 

1 hour ago, PGHAWKS2 said:

We had an off night offensively, mainly due to Tatum playing well defensively and fumbled snaps. Wing T is all about timing and so it's important to get the snap and get moving (a lot of moving parts).  Our QB is a three-sport athlete and excels at all three (football, baseball & basketball). He will play D1 in one of those sports, in my opinion. Great kid and great athlete (Ben Harmon). He will not be rattled, he has ice water in his veins. We left 17 points out there that we normally would've capitalized on (red zone). Offense is not mediocre, check our results offensively this year VS a tough schedule. Great defense, and a really good offense.

Hats off to Tatum for playing an excellent game.... I'm still trying to figure out why they didn't win more games.

QB better focus hard on baseball and basketball then....a QB running the wing T ain't gonna get a lot of D1 attention.

We left some points off the board as well. Quite honestly....every PG fan keeps saying "y'all played bad"....I understand that the playoffs is a new and foreign concept to y'all but there's no room for playing bad, or excuses. Yalls bad game largely was due to the fact that our 7 loss defense punched y'all in the mouth for 4 quarters. Possibly because y'all may have taken us lightly.....but most of the mistakes I saw made by PG were caused by a defense that played well above their expectations. There were a few bad snaps but our defense had the young QB rattled. Rattled enough to sling one up for grabs from pressure all over him with nothing but green jersies anywhere near the ball. He's about to see bigger and better defenses very soon. PG has a dang good football team...especially on the defensive side of the ball. Offensively, I'd say they are above average. Jasper and Rusk's offenses are probably a little bit better but PG offense is pretty solid. After this week the road gets tougher. I think Aubrey is as close to a for sure when as you can get. Then it's big boy time. Gonna be fun to watch it all unfold. Good luck to y'all.

21 minutes ago, Eagle8 said:

What was your prediction for the 1st round? I bet you was WRONG too. Nobody in the high school football world woulda thought Tatum would have held y'all to 21 points much less play y'all to a 14 point game. 

A WIN.... I could care less if we win by 1 point or 30

8 minutes ago, Eagle8 said:

QB better focus hard on baseball and basketball then....a QB running the wing T ain't gonna get a lot of D1 attention.

We left some points off the board as well. Quite honestly....every PG fan keeps saying "y'all played bad"....I understand that the playoffs is a new and foreign concept to y'all but there's no room for playing bad, or excuses. Yalls bad game largely was due to the fact that our 7 loss defense punched y'all in the mouth for 4 quarters. Possibly because y'all may have taken us lightly.....but most of the mistakes I saw made by PG were caused by a defense that played well above their expectations. There were a few bad snaps but our defense had the young QB rattled. Rattled enough to sling one up for grabs from pressure all over him with nothing but green jersies anywhere near the ball. He's about to see bigger and better defenses very soon. PG has a dang good football team...especially on the defensive side of the ball. Offensively, I'd say they are above average. Jasper and Rusk's offenses are probably a little bit better but PG offense is pretty solid. After this week the road gets tougher. I think Aubrey is as close to a for sure when as you can get. Then it's big boy time. Gonna be fun to watch it all unfold. Good luck to y'all.

I'm speculating a little, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if we change offenses next year to a spread. We have a lot of good WR coming through and our QB is a passing QB.

Thank you, we will need some luck.

I’ve been catching up on other threads today since the Carthage thread is slow.  How in the world did this thread survive all the PG vs Carthage talk and only one Carthage poster commented?  That must be a first!  I’m rooting for PG to keep winning.  Looking forward to the rematch of PG vs Gilmer.  Whoever wins that one will be my D2 pick to meet up with WOS.  Oh and btw, Calpreps has Carthage winning the head to head vs PG 31-28.  Calpreps also has Carthage winning against WOS 28-21.  LOL!

1 hour ago, Hawkguy888 said:

No luck needed this week. PG ROLLS by 35 points 

If I learned anything following "the fall" after our state title years....luck is always needed. Be humble young grasshoppa, for the end of the run is growing near.

19 minutes ago, DawgNation2015 said:

I’ve been catching up on other threads today since the Carthage thread is slow.  How in the world did this thread survive all the PG vs Carthage talk and only one Carthage poster commented?  That must be a first!  I’m rooting for PG to keep winning.  Looking forward to the rematch of PG vs Gilmer.  Whoever wins that one will be my D2 pick to meet up with WOS.  Oh and btw, Calpreps has Carthage winning the head to head vs PG 31-28.  Calpreps also has Carthage winning against WOS 28-21.  LOL!

Carthage would dismantle PG and probably WO-S as well.

• Thanks 1